How to type with accent?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macintoshxiii, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. macintoshxiii macrumors regular


    May 15, 2006
    I was really puzzled with typing of accent, hence I checked the internet for solutions and I realized the shortcut to type "ë" is option+U E but the problem is when I hold to option+U E, all i get is ¨and ´tha's all... it doesn't seems to work? Does anyone knoe how to get this working when I type the shortcut? I just need to know how to type the "ë" in anywhere such as browser, search bar, MS word etc.
  2. gnasher729 macrumors P6


    Nov 25, 2005
    You type option-u, then type e. Or any other letter with an umlaut. You don't press all three keys together; you type option-u first, then the e. You could put "Keyboard viewer" into your menubar, to do that start System Preferences, type in "key" in the search box and it will show you what to do. Keyboard viewer will show you everything that is available directly. If you press option, it will show you all "dead keys" like the option-u that can be combined with other letters; there are about six of them.
  3. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular


    May 15, 2006
    I have tried typing them one at a time but this only bring me the standard e and the u instead.... i still cannot get the umlaut, however i open up the key viewer but what is it you are suggesting to me? shortcut of ë?
  4. USMaC macrumors member


    Nov 8, 2005
    New Bern, NC
    Just to be clear, you should be typing option+u together, then e. I've just tried this in a few different programs and it's working for me.
  5. polevault139 macrumors 6502

    Sep 24, 2006
    For any change in character is it usually a option+(key) command. Right now I am taking an online Spanish course and have to use accents all of the time and the option+(key) works all the time

    option+e= í, é, á
    option+n= ñ
    option+u= ü, ë, ä
    option+i= î, ê â

    So for those to work you hit the option+(key) and a little symbol will appear above were you are going to thype the accented character, all you have to do after that is type that character.

    Heres a link:
  6. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

    Sep 1, 2006
    open "international" from prefs.
    in the bottom left corner check the "show input menu in menu bar"

    then when you want an extended character click on the flag in your menu bar and hit "show keyboard viewer"
    it will highlight the option key alternatives when you press the option key.
    the keyboard viewer will float over all other screens so you have continuous access.

    there is a different set of key combinations for US and US extended, which you can switch between.
  7. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular


    May 15, 2006
    i got that already... thank you so much people.... macforum is awesome with awesome mac professional and lovers like me! cheers~
  8. Legolamb macrumors 6502a


    Nov 27, 2006
    North of where I'd like to be
    How to type with accent?

    Hang out in Brooklyn for a year:D
  9. nadyne macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2004
    Mountain View, CA USA
    I'm so glad that I'm not the only person who thought this!

Share This Page