How to unpartition harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by atbutton, Sep 20, 2011.

1. atbutton macrumors newbie

I have just reinstalled lion so i partitioned my hard drive to do so. It now shows as a 130gb drive and 190gb free space. How can i make one large hard drive again? I can't just resize it bigger as it will only allow me to resize smaller.
    Please help me on this.
    Many thanks
    Andrew

2. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Open Disk Utility and select the hard drive with the missing free space. Select the Partition tab and adjust the free space there.

3. atbutton thread starter macrumors newbie

I can format the free space but i can't make the partition with lion installed any bigger.

4. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

try booting into the lion installer and using disk utility there to redistribute the free space. if anything, try using that free space to make a new partition, apply it, delete it then try combining the free space with your main partition (i had to do that a couple times in snow leopard....).

Apple really needs to get its ***** together when it comes to anything remotely technical. The OS is great, but for anyone that isnt a total noob, it does have its limitations.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If one needs more technical access - there are the backend tools diskutil and gpt. That said, there's usually a reason why Disk Utility restricts an action.

OP - open Terminal and run the following:
    Code:
    %[B]diskutil list[/B]
    That might shed some light on what's going on.