Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DK777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2016
How do I upgrade my OSx to one that isn't the most current? Trying to go from Mavericks to Sierra but the only option in the app store is High Sierra.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
You're only option is to try to find a friend who saved the installer and can share it with you. It's 5GB+, so it's not like anyone can email it either.

Apple just pulled the Sierra installers off their servers, so unless they decide to put them back up, that's the only way you can get it.

Reactions: BrianBaughn

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
If the link above doesn't work for you, there -are- "other ways" to get Sierra.
You just have to "be brave..." ;)

Reactions: 0002378

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
MacGizmo is correct. But check in your Applications folder for "Install macOS Sierra" just to be sure you don't have it.
Unfortunately Apple sets the installer to delete itself after successful installation. I've never liked this behavior. I always quit the installer after it downloads and auto-launches and make a backup copy. It's annoying to have to do that, but it saves a lot of download time for my other Macs if nothing else.

Reactions: CrickettGrrrl

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Unfortunately Apple sets the installer to delete itself after successful installation. I've never liked this behavior. I always quit the installer after it downloads and auto-launches and make a backup copy. It's annoying to have to do that, but it saves a lot of download time for my other Macs if nothing else.
A very good practice, as I’ve learned myself, the hard way. I would add another tip: use the createinstallmedia command to make a bootable USB installer, as detailed here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Comes in very handy.

Reactions: CrickettGrrrl

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

Does this behavior get in the way of archiving older versions of an OS? Sure. However, I'd argue that self-deleting installers are a good idea for the masses who seem to not clean house on a regular basis, then wonder why their 128 GB MBAs are out of storage (and running badly as a consequence).

Reactions: MrChurchyard

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
How'd you find this?
I bookmark the heck out of articles relevant to my needs, save them to Instapaper. Not a cheat, there's a few web portals that I follow that include the direct URL to the MAS updates. I used wccftech, verified with Little Snitch which reveals the package URL - sometimes I find it faster to get an update that way vs waiting for an MAS refresh. Also, I quit the OS installer once it launches, then archive a copy of that installer on an external DAS, then run the OS installer. wccftech has provided direct links for the latest several OS installers, including HS. Apple sometimes - quite annoyingly - pulls the MAS link as they've done here but the package file almost always stays available. I think I saw a few other posters in the Forums that offered the same package link, you could ask them as well. Cheers.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I bookmark the heck out of articles relevant to my needs, save them to Instapaper. Not a cheat, there's a few web portals that I follow that include the direct URL to the MAS updates. I used wccftech, verified with Little Snitch which reveals the package URL - sometimes I find it faster to get an update that way vs waiting for an MAS refresh. Also, I quit the OS installer once it launches, then archive a copy of that installer on an external DAS, then run the OS installer. wccftech has provided direct links for the latest several OS installers, including HS. Apple sometimes - quite annoyingly - pulls the MAS link as they've done here but the package file almost always stays available. I think I saw a few other posters in the Forums that offered the same package link, you could ask them as well. Cheers.
Awesome. I've done the same as you - do you see a link to Mavericks?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Awesome. I've done the same as you - do you see a link to Mavericks?
Actually, check your Hidden Purchases in the MAS - even though I have archives of the latest installers, "Unhide" options for Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks reappeared over the weekend in addition to the ability to Unhide Yosemite and El Capitan (the latter two have always been there). I just checked, and all 5 OS installers are still there - I'm away from my workstation with LS installed, and I am not logged into my dev account on the Mac I'm using right now. If I were you, check the MAS right now - run, don't walk!

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Nothin'. ML should be there - Mav is not linked to mine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.29.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.29.54 PM.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 682
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.29.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.29.58 PM.png
    115 KB · Views: 634

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
How do I upgrade my OSx to one that isn't the most current? Trying to go from Mavericks to Sierra but the only option in the app store is High Sierra.

I updated from Mavericks (<3) to Sierra over a month ago & have had lots of weird little problems. Some big problems (for me). So I advise you to make a cloned backup of Mavericks on an external HDD. --And when you download Sierra, create a USB installer so if you run into difficulties you can reinstall the Sierra OS overtop your Mac again without losing user files. Recent travails: TimeMachine borked & mysteriously overwrote my Mavericks clone partition....yeah, live & learn. Unfortunately also lost my custom files for a critical graphics program on my iMac, so I think a clean install of Sierra is in my near future.

Good luck!

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
@campyguy Appreciate the help! Turns out ML was linked to my old ID, so problem solved there. Would still be interested in any info on 10.7 and 10.9 from wccftechm though.

ehrens

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
the 651
One way around the auto-delete of the installer is to cancel the installation after it finishes downloading. The installer will then sit in /Applications until you're ready to launch it again.

DK777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2016
I ended up having to goto a certified apple dealer and paid them 120 bucks to 'work' for 20 minutes and install Sierra. New question though regarding backing it up now that I have everything set up.. just gonna copy paste from another forum.

"When you backup your OSx with Time Machine does the external drive need to be completely empty and dedicated as a time machine backup or can you backup an OSx onto a 2TB drive that already has 1TB used on it? I have no interest in doing continuous backups with Time Machine, just one. I just reinstalled my OSx and all my plugins so I want to do one backup of it with everything installed clean before I move forward and start working."

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I ended up having to goto a certified apple dealer and paid them 120 bucks to 'work' for 20 minutes and install Sierra. New question though regarding backing it up now that I have everything set up.. just gonna copy paste from another forum.

"When you backup your OSx with Time Machine does the external drive need to be completely empty and dedicated as a time machine backup or can you backup an OSx onto a 2TB drive that already has 1TB used on it? I have no interest in doing continuous backups with Time Machine, just one. I just reinstalled my OSx and all my plugins so I want to do one backup of it with everything installed clean before I move forward and start working."
It can have other stuff on it.

Also, where can I start working and charge ppl $120 for an OS install???

Reactions: 0002378

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Any luck w/ a Mav link?
Honestly, I haven't been back to my home office as I'd planned. The wifi security issue and a few other network-related hacks kept me at my field offices; most of my clients are agencies and they're a bit, um, twitchy. We're expecting 4-12 inches of rain at my office locations, I've been lining out my staff and planning for flooding and roadway/highway closures. :confused: No worries, I haven't forgotten…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.