How to upgrade RAM on the new 27" iMac ... found it!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cockney Rebel, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    So I just started watching the (yesterday's) keynote again via Apple TV and my beady eyes clocked what I believe to be the new "trap door" for accessing/upgrading RAM on the new 27" iMac.

I just took a screen grab on my iPad and highlighted it so that you can see exactly what I mean.

It's nice to know that we can indeed upgrade the RAM ourselves on these new iMacs.

Let me know what you think ...

PS, click on the image to enlarge it so that you can clearly see the "trap door".

Attached Files:

2. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Old news, but thanks. Apparently there's a hidden button in the power receptacle port that releases the door.

3. sukai macrumors regular

Ahaha nice find. Glad at least the 27" is serviceable.

4. Cockney Rebel thread starter Guest

Old news as in you knew where the trap door was?

I've not seen anyone else point it out on Mac Rumors until now?

Having the button located in the power port is not good as I always have my iMac plugged in when inserting, removing, upgrading RAM as it earths the machine ... just makes sure the power is off at the mains and you are good to go.

----------

Definitely ...

Apple is much dearer than third parties when it comes to RAM.

Hold on ... Apple is much dearer, full stop - haha!

I bought from Crucial for my current iMac (currently in for repair) and I've never had a problem with it.

5. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Nice. But Apple service guide recommends you unplug it.

To install memory follow these instructions:

1.Turn off your computer by choosing the Apple menu, then Shut Down.
    2.Disconnect all cables and the power cord from your computer.

6. Cockney Rebel thread starter Guest

I have always been lead to believe than leaving a device plugged in, earths it?

Funny enough I was just watching a TWiT video yesterday where they built a PC from scratch, and they said that leaving it connected to the mains, but off, is the best way of earthing it?

Anyway, each to their own.

Just thought I'd share my find re the trap door as many people here on Mac Rumors have been wondering where it was ...

7. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

3. Press and hold power button a few times to release all electricity from machine

8. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

You should discharge any static before working on electronics internals. Then it is safe to work without the device plugged in to earth it.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

10. Lucianrider macrumors member

Americans can't leave the cable plugged in because their dangerous sockets don't have switches like all UK sockets have....

And I say dangerous because they also don't have trap doors over the live and neutral slots.

11. Tom J macrumors regular

Millions of people in the US are killed every year due to "dangerous sockets"

12. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

At least our sockets aren't monstrously disfigured like the ones in europe.

13. Cockney Rebel thread starter Guest

Really not wanting this to turn into a "our sockets are better than your sockets" debate, but are you seriously telling me that you'd rather a pretty socket than a safer socket?

I really don't know what to say to that one ... excuse the pun, but I'm completely shocked!

:eek:

----------

Sorry to hear about that, buddy.

I didn't realise that was the case.

It's very strange then, considering that TWiT is an American company and it was their fellas that very specifically stated on their "how to build a PC" video that it's best to leave the computer plugged in to earth it when assembling it, to reduce the risk of static damage to the components ...

Better not do that, then!

14. iSmack macrumors newbie

I thought it was quite obvious from the live event and the still shots afterwards. When the iMac was shown from various angles the "door" was revealed.

Thanks anyway.

15. Cockney Rebel thread starter Guest

And for those unfortunate enough to be able to view the event, for one reason or another?

It's nice to think of those less fortunate than ourselves ;)

I find it very strange how trying to do a good deed can turn into such tricky responses?

It's gone from "this is old news" to "I thought it was quite obvious" to the slagging off of European plug sockets!!

HaHa ... I don't know whether to laugh, cry, get WOUND UP or simply pitty some people?

We have a saying over here in London and that is that if you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all ...

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Most people shut down their computer, unplug the cable, then insert the RAM.
    Some people will not shut down their computer, not unplug the cable, then do really, really stupid things, like sticking screw drivers into places where they shouldn't go, which could damage the Mac and the health of the person doing it.

By asking everyone to follow the first 2 instructions, Apple tries to make sure the user don't kill himself, no matter how stupid they are.

17. iSmack macrumors newbie

Being that emotional and sentimental...you should definitely cry.

Which part of "Thanks" didn't you get?

Go out, save the world captain!

18. Cockney Rebel thread starter Guest

Hmm ... I'll not argue with anyone on here as talk is cheap and money builds houses.

Of course, face to face, believe me, you wouldn't speak to me like that.

Believe me.

19. iSmack macrumors newbie

Are you threatening me? Online? For what?

Well, you said talk is cheap, not me. Threatening someone online is vague, and cheap.

I wrote thanks. You want me to pad your back and tell you that you saved my day?

20. Cockney Rebel, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

Cockney Rebel thread starter Guest

No threats at all.

Simply stating a fact that you wouldn't speak to me like that if we was face to face.

But that's exactly why people like you get tricky online ... because you are tucked away behind a keyboard.

You did say thanks, so sweet for that. But I've just clocked so many tricky comments on here of late that it wound me up.

"You want me to pad your back and tell you that you saved my day?" ... exactly what I mean - no need for it?

And how can you threaten someone, yet be vague at the same time? Completely contradicting your thoughts of me threatening you?

It seems to me like you have a bit too much time on your hands ...