Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How to Use Apple's New Intercom Feature

Dhonk

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Can’t on my iPhone X as well. But from my two homepods it works

Comment

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Why require a HomePod to activate it? If it works on iPhone/iPad/watch then why can’t an iPad or Apple TV work as the hub as they do for other HomeKit functions?

Reactions: tooloud10
Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Same thing here with my HomePod on 14.1 and my iPhone 12 Pro. Can’t figure it out. It just doesn’t have the option to activate it.
Not able to use Intercom in Singapore.
And my recently received iPhone 12 Pro says iOS 14.1 is up to date. With no apparent way to update to 14.2.
All updated on current iPhone and HomePod. No intercom feature. No toggle in settings available.

iOS 14.2 is in public beta

Comment

EnJaNir

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
I’ve got two homepods and when trying to send receive from my 11Pro I have issues.

HomePod to HomePod good to go
iPhone to HomePod good to go
HomePod to iPhone: I get a notification and a play button but don’t hear the message

Comment

WilliamDu

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Amazon has provided intercom for well over a year with much less expensive devices, better audio in their top Echo Studio at less than half the cost of the HomePod, and the Alexa AI which is excellent.
Apple is several generations behind Amazon with this technology-Alexa 4th gen speakers out this month.
Amazon Echo devices accept Bluetooth from Apple IOS devices as well.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Or just walk a few steps closer to the person and tell them
I’ll be sure to do that as I’m driving home to tell the kids to get washed up for the dinner I’m bringing home, to tell them to go to the bathroom and put their shoes on to hop in the car because I’m almost home, or to come help me carry in groceries. Not to mention that my house is big enough that I can’t even yell at the top of my lungs from one end to the other. Or you could use it between different buildings on your property like an external garage or workshop. Not everybody lives in a $3000/mo 400sqft studio apartment in some huge city.

Comment

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
What are the differences between Intercom and Walkie-Talkie? Is Walkie-Talkie going to be included and rebranded as Intercom?

That's a really good question. My wife and I enabled the walkie talkie feature on our Apple Watches and found it to be lacking. It often doesn't work... Says it can't complete the process or something to that effect. I don't really know why, as everything else seems to work. I'd be curious if this feature is a little more stable and reliable. Also, I'm still not sure if it'll work where there's no HomePod in play anyway. Not sure if I could say go from CarPlay when I'm on my way home to my wife's iPhone for example.

Reactions: PsykX
Comment

hagar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
do you need a HomePod for this feature? Or could it work with Apple TV or iPad as the Home hub as well, and then use iOS devices to talk?
Also, very weird stereo paired homepods arent supported.

Comment

gomichaelgo

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
Same thing here with my HomePod on 14.1 and my iPhone 12 Pro. Can’t figure it out. It just doesn’t have the option to activate it.
Doesn’t the article say you must be on iOS 14.2? Which is in beta right now. That’s my understanding.
[automerge]1603604048[/automerge]
All updated on current iPhone and HomePod. No intercom feature. No toggle in settings available.
Are you on 14.2 beta?

Comment

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
On the settings page for each HomePod is a new Intercom option that enables/disables Intercom for that HomePod. However, as you've discovered with 14.1 there is no Intercom setting in Home Settings. If I try to intercom from my phone, it tells me I must intercom from a HomePod. What? I thought I could intercom from a phone.

Then if I try to intercom using a HomePod, Siri appears to accept the message but then doesn't forward to the other HomePod we have.

I dunno, Intercom doesn't appear to be ready for prime time.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage
Comment

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Doesn’t the article say you must be on iOS 14.2? Which is in beta right now. That’s my understanding.
[automerge]1603604048[/automerge]

Are you on 14.2 beta?

I guess I misunderstood and thought 14.1 brings the intercom feature. This would obviously explain why if it’s only a 14.2 beta thing currently.

Comment

laszlo182

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
so you say intercom doesn’t work on homepod stereo pair, but on one of the images i guess its from the apple, where its says “intercom to the living room, has the game started?” clearly shows a stereo pair in the living room..

Comment

Supermann

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020

Intercom Requirements

Intercom works with the HomePod after installing the HomePod 14.1 update, and it is functional on the iPhone and iPad after installing the iOS 14.2/iPadOS 14.2 updates. On Apple Watch, it appears to work with watchOS 7.1 and later.

There may be some Intercom features reserved for HomePod 14.2 as Intercom does not function seamlessly yet, so for the best possible Intercom results, make sure all of your devices have the most recent operating system updates that are available. Note that if two HomePods are set up in stereo mode, Intercom is not available.

Reactions: NetMage
Comment

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Amazon has provided intercom for well over a year with much less expensive devices, better audio in their top Echo Studio at less than half the cost of the HomePod, and the Alexa AI which is excellent.
Apple is several generations behind Amazon with this technology-Alexa 4th gen speakers out this month.

Yes, I'm probably going to buy one of the HomePod Minis next month, but that's probably driven by curiosity more than anything else. I really don't see what this is going to offer me beyond the 4 Echo Dots we've got dotted around the house. I've invested heavily into the Apple ecosystem and if Homekit had taken off in the way I'd hoped then probably I'd be rushing to replace my Echos with these, but the reality is with Homekit adoption still being 'meh' Alexa is tending to become my default home automation platform as it opens up a much wider range of compatible products, and I've long learned that manufacturer's promises of "HomeKit support coming soon" are worthless.

Comment

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I'm just going to pop in my AirPods and listen to some relaxing music to temporarily get away from the stress of lockdown family living...

Son of a b....! They're in my head now!

Last edited:
Comment

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Is it just me or does anyone else find the Home app a bit overly complicated to find the settings?

Why can't they have a bigger intercom button like with Apple Watch Walkie Talkie?

Comment

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
So...........things the Echo and others have had for ages now. Way to innovate Apple lol
Siri existed long before Amazon created Alexa to do its data mining from people who are willing to put practically free wire taps in their house. Way to innovate, Amazon.

What is your point? if Apple is behind on the capabilities they should just never bother implementing it?

Comment

spunkybart

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
HomePods and iPhone are all on 14.1. And yes, intercom works using Siri from the HomePods (I have to run from 1 room to the other to hear the message get delivered).

But there's no 'Intercom' option in the iPhone Home app. And when I tell Siri on the iPhone to intercom, it tells me I can only do that from 1 HomePod to another.

I don't think this feature is fully baked yet.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.