How to use Ethernet through the TBD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macbook123, Sep 22, 2011.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm trying to use Ethernet through the Thunderbolt display. For some reason Network preferences say that the "Display Ethernet" is not connected, and indeed I get not signal if I turn WiFi off. What is wrong?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Do you have an Ethernet cable attached between the display and a switch/hub/router? I don't believe the interface will show as connected without a physical connection.

3. llenuts macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with my TBD this morning.

After a bit of playing around, unplugging and plugging in a couple of cables and what not, I went to Software Update, and found there was an App to download, to allow the firmware on the display to be updated.

Download the App via software update, it is them saved under Applications|Utilities, disconnect all external storage devices from the display, I had to physically unplug them, and run the firmware updater.

You need to have your MBP open for it to work too.

After the firmware update was complete, I restarted my MBP and now am using the Display Ethernet as my network connection.

Hope this helps...

4. macbook123, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks Guys. I do have the firmware update 1.0 installed so it is not the issue.

And yes, the Display is connected via Ethernet to my Airport Extreme.

EDIT: The firmware update may not have been installed after all. Trying again now.

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

All right, the firmware update did it. Thanks for the suggestion llenuts!!!

I thought I had it installed earlier today but somehow it must have not done it correctly.

6. llenuts macrumors newbie

No worries!

It seemed a tad finicky to get the updater to work I thought, but glad to hear yours is now all sorted too!

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Good to know. Glad it's working!