How to Use Night Shift in macOS Sierra 10.12.4

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Night Shift, the feature first introduced in iOS devices with iOS 9.3, has expanded to the Mac with the release of 10.12.4. Night Shift is compatible with 2012 and newer Macs, so it won't work on older machines.

For those unfamiliar with Night Shift, it's designed to cut down on the amount of blue light you're exposed to during the evening by shifting the display of a Mac to a more yellow tone. Blue light is said to have a harmful effect on your circadian rhythm, making it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep.

Studies suggest that eliminating blue light exposure at night might help you sleep just a bit better, but it does significantly change the look of your display. Many Mac users have been using blue light reduction software f.lux for years now, but with Night Shift, there's no need to install an additional app because it's an operating system feature.

Turning On Night Shift

Night Shift's controls can be a little bit difficult to find when you go to use the feature for the first time. The Night Shift options are located in the display section of System Preferences.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use Night Shift in macOS Sierra 10.12.4

2. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Its a cool idea, but not for me as I do graphic design and web stuffs. I do work late at night but to combat it I throw my monitor down a couple of notches for brightness...

3. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

I've been using night mode on my phone and iPad now for a few months and I do think it makes a difference.

4. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

This would be true if you do print stuff and work on a EIZO screen, but you can't control other people's screens on the web. Therefore, just use this feature, because someone will use it later and visit the website you worked on.

5. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Why would it not be on by default? how is my mom supposed to find this button?

6. anthonyjr macrumors regular

anthonyjr

I always feel a little bad about Apple walking over f.lux's turf with building in the same tech into the operating system... At least without reaching out to the company. Granted, it would have been a weird divide to buyout a small free program and probably subsequently drop Windows support.

As a filmmaker, I've got to soak up the blue light insomnia for color correction - but really do appreciate having Night Shift built into my iPhone at least. Definitely will make use of it on the Mac for off-nights. Personally, I think the median tungsten color is just a tad too warm for my liking. Shift it a little less to make things easier on the eyes.

7. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem to work on older MacBook Pros, I can't find the Night Shift tab on my late 2011 13" MacBook Pro.

8. anthonyjr macrumors regular

anthonyjr

Sadly, it's better to conform to standards of color and know your work is being viewed fairly correctly (despite screen deviations). I'm sure night shift only makes up a small percentage of screens at a small percentage of time (in comparison to everyone else on the World Wide Web). Most screens are calibrated fairly well nowadays, especially with P3 and other wide gamut norms.

9. apb89 macrumors regular

I also cannot find it on my early 2011 MBP.

10. graycrow macrumors member

graycrow

No tab on my late 2010 Air as well.

11. MysteriousStain macrumors member

MysteriousStain

At the foot of a mountain and beside a river
    It's a little odd that the headline feature replicates the actions of a free app that's been around for years

12. seanmcbay macrumors member

This always happens. I usually prefer Apple's own implantation of said new features though.

13. Json81 macrumors regular

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

What's odd about it?

15. 2013.1 macrumors regular

16. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

Love this on my iPhone and iPad but don't use it on my Mac, I prefer f.lux

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

18. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

It's correct that Night Shift only works on 2012 and later Macs. I've updated the post to add a new compatibility section, thanks to those of you who pointed out the oversight.

19. John.B, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017

John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Night Shift still seems jaundiced to me, maybe it would help if it had a bilirubin blanket?

20. sega dude macrumors newbie

sega dude

There's no Night Shift tab on my MacBook (Late 2009) either. It seems older Macs are not supported, but Apple never released a list of compatible Macs.

21. jon08 macrumors 68000

Sucks it won't work on my late-2011 Macbook Pro either.. so I guess I'll stick to f.lux.

22. dmdev macrumors member

I used to use f.lux, but it freaks out occasionally -- I suspect because my mac has multiple user accounts. I'm hoping Night Shift will be a more consistent experience whether I attach the Thunderbolt display or whether I'm switching to another user account...

23. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Scroll up a few posts, bradl posted a link of compatible Macs, basically anything 2012 or later.

24. graycrow macrumors member

graycrow

25. djgamble macrumors 6502a

Mmmkay so 2010 Macs aren't capable of adjusting the monitor to be a slightly pink hue.

I see an opportunity for an app. You could cobble this up for pre-2012 Macs. You could do it in Applescript... if the time is x or later then change the hue of the monitor so that it's the same pink as nightshift. SURELY somebody has already done this?