Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Night Shift, the feature first introduced in iOS devices with iOS 9.3, has expanded to the Mac with the release of 10.12.4. Night Shift is compatible with 2012 and newer Macs, so it won't work on older machines.

For those unfamiliar with Night Shift, it's designed to cut down on the amount of blue light you're exposed to during the evening by shifting the display of a Mac to a more yellow tone. Blue light is said to have a harmful effect on your circadian rhythm, making it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep.

Studies suggest that eliminating blue light exposure at night might help you sleep just a bit better, but it does significantly change the look of your display. Many Mac users have been using blue light reduction software f.lux for years now, but with Night Shift, there's no need to install an additional app because it's an operating system feature.

Turning On Night Shift

Night Shift's controls can be a little bit difficult to find when you go to use the feature for the first time. The Night Shift options are located in the display section of System Preferences.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Use Night Shift in macOS Sierra 10.12.4

Reactions: Sunny1990

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Its a cool idea, but not for me as I do graphic design and web stuffs. I do work late at night but to combat it I throw my monitor down a couple of notches for brightness...

dschulian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
Its a cool idea, but not for me as I do graphic design and web stuffs. I do work late at night but to combat it I throw my monitor down a couple of notches for brightness...

This would be true if you do print stuff and work on a EIZO screen, but you can't control other people's screens on the web. Therefore, just use this feature, because someone will use it later and visit the website you worked on.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Why would it not be on by default? how is my mom supposed to find this button?

anthonyjr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I always feel a little bad about Apple walking over f.lux's turf with building in the same tech into the operating system... At least without reaching out to the company. Granted, it would have been a weird divide to buyout a small free program and probably subsequently drop Windows support.

As a filmmaker, I've got to soak up the blue light insomnia for color correction - but really do appreciate having Night Shift built into my iPhone at least. Definitely will make use of it on the Mac for off-nights. Personally, I think the median tungsten color is just a tad too warm for my liking. Shift it a little less to make things easier on the eyes.

anthonyjr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
This would be true if you do print stuff and work on a EIZO screen, but you can't control other people's screens on the web. Therefore, just use this feature, because someone will use it later and visit the website you worked on.

Sadly, it's better to conform to standards of color and know your work is being viewed fairly correctly (despite screen deviations). I'm sure night shift only makes up a small percentage of screens at a small percentage of time (in comparison to everyone else on the World Wide Web). Most screens are calibrated fairly well nowadays, especially with P3 and other wide gamut norms.

sega dude

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem to work on older MacBook Pros, I can't find the Night Shift tab on my late 2011 13" MacBook Pro.

There's no Night Shift tab on my MacBook (Late 2009) either. It seems older Macs are not supported, but Apple never released a list of compatible Macs.

dmdev

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
I used to use f.lux, but it freaks out occasionally -- I suspect because my mac has multiple user accounts. I'm hoping Night Shift will be a more consistent experience whether I attach the Thunderbolt display or whether I'm switching to another user account...

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Mmmkay so 2010 Macs aren't capable of adjusting the monitor to be a slightly pink hue.

I see an opportunity for an app. You could cobble this up for pre-2012 Macs. You could do it in Applescript... if the time is x or later then change the hue of the monitor so that it's the same pink as nightshift. SURELY somebody has already done this?

Reactions: autrefois
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.