Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 17.1, iPhone users in the UK can now view the account balance of their bank cards and credit cards right within Apple's Wallet app. Keep reading to learn how it works.

uk-bank-account-apple-wallet-2.jpg

Apple's Wallet app on iPhone has been able to display Apple Pay transactions made using your bank and credit cards for a while now, but if you are a Wallet app user in the United Kingdom, a new integration in iOS 17.1 means you can view your current account balance from your bank, along with a history of your deposits and payments. If you have a credit card, you can also view your remaining credit.

To get the additional account information, your bank needs to support the Open Banking API that Apple has implemented. Supporting banks currently include Barclays, Monzo, Starling, HSBC, Lloyds, and RBS, with more banks likely to come on board now that iOS 17.1 is released to the public.

The following steps show you how integration is securely authorized through the Wallet app. It's a simple enough process, and Apple will automatically redirect you to your bank app to authenticate the connection.
  1. Open the Wallet app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap a card from a supporting bank.
  3. Tap Get Started under "See Balances and Full Transaction History for This Account."
  4. Tap Continue to connect your account to Wallet.
  5. Check the account details that you are about to give Wallet permission to access, then tap Continue.
  6. In your bank app, enter your iPhone's passcode or use Face ID to grant Wallet permission to access the specified account details.
view-uk-bank-account-balance-apple-wallet.jpg

After following these steps, you'll be directed back to the Wallet app, where you will now see the available balance of your account underneath the bank card, along with your transaction history. If it's a credit card, you'll also see the remaining balance available, while a tap on the balance will also reveal your credit limit.

Apple Wallet also keeps annual transaction histories for linked accounts. You can access them for each account in Settings -> Wallet & Apple Pay: Tap the connected account under "Connections," tap the card under "Accounts," then tap Account Activity, where you can view transactions by year.

Article Link: How to View Your UK Bank Account Balance and Deposits in Apple Wallet

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
It seems to work pretty well. The only issue I had was adding a 2nd account form the same bank.

I did my main Monzo account then my joint account but accidentally disabled the connection to the main account when approving the second one.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
The US needs this, such a good feature. I'd prefer one place to view everything. I believe there are third party apps that can do this like Mint (for most cards), but I want a built-in one if possible. I'd love the Wallet app to become my everything finance ap.

The US won't ever implement this as it would require the regulator to enforce it across the banking system which it is scared to do for fear of rocking the boat.

The UK banking sector is very different - consumer banking anyway - and so features like this are available relatively quickly. Apple Pay support is another one where it's now rare to find a bank that doesn't support it.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Amazed and pleased to see such a UK-only addition!

Not sure, right now, whether it will be any more use than my bank's own app. But might just be more convenient.

What I'd actually like is an open receipt mechanism. Shops often offer a paper receipt, a receipt on their app on your phone, or require an email address.

A mechanism whereby you can accept a detailed receipt from the shop's till, without installing a shop-specific app, maybe offer a hidden email for them to use if they need to contact you (e.g. a recall), and me to be able to use it as proof of purchase, is very much wanted.

E.g. last year I bought confectionery bar from a supermarket but had to return as I didn't like it. But the process was crazily complex - because I wasn't using the supermarket's own app.

Last edited:

RemedyRabbit

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2014
Ah sweet just the other day I was thinking this would be a really useful feature and here we are 🙂

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
worked nicely for my Halifax card, but not offered for chase or revolut. Annoyingly I have recently started using chase instead of Halifax for the 1% cashback

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
The US needs this, such a good feature. I'd prefer one place to view everything. I believe there are third party apps that can do this like Mint (for most cards), but I want a built-in one if possible. I'd love the Wallet app to become my everything finance ap.
Based on the US adoption of contactless payments I’d say it might roll out before 2035.

roger6106

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Canada is studying open banking (since 2018), but progress seems incredibly slow. They've had a couple dozen meetings about it in the last couple of years, but they don't seem to be in any rush to implement anything. Maybe Apple adding support for this will encourage them to take it more seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.