Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm22381

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Amazed and pleased to see such a UK-only addition!

Not sure, right now, whether it will be any more use than my bank's own app. But might just be more convenient.

What I'd actually like is an open receipt mechanism. Shops often offer a paper receipt, a receipt on their app on your phon, or require an email address.

A mechanism whereby you can accept a detailed receipt from the shop's till, without installing a shop-specific app, maybe offer a hidden email for them to use if they need to contact you (e.g. a recall), and me to be able to use it as proof of purchase, is very much wanted.

E.g. last year I bought confectionery bar from a supermarket but had to return as I didn't like it. But the process was crazily complex - because I wasn't using the supermarket's own app.
You want Pi-xcels NFC digital e-receipts https://atadistance.net/2023/09/21/pixcels-nfc-vas-receipts/

Reactions: polyphenol

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Amazed and pleased to see such a UK-only addition!

Not sure, right now, whether it will be any more use than my bank's own app. But might just be more convenient.

What I'd actually like is an open receipt mechanism. Shops often offer a paper receipt, a receipt on their app on your phone, or require an email address.

A mechanism whereby you can accept a detailed receipt from the shop's till, without installing a shop-specific app, maybe offer a hidden email for them to use if they need to contact you (e.g. a recall), and me to be able to use it as proof of purchase, is very much wanted.

E.g. last year I bought confectionery bar from a supermarket but had to return as I didn't like it. But the process was crazily complex - because I wasn't using the supermarket's own app.
What supermarket allows you to return a candy bar because you did not like it :oops:

mimeArtist

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
Thankfully I hardly ever use ATMs anymore... I used to always avert my eyes when it would show the balance when taking cash out :D

nat1nat1

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2023
Works ok for super basic balance reporting. However, it removes additional spending data like location and maps from the default wallet transaction as it's overwritten by basic bank data. So I turned it off. Doesn't offer anything of value apart from an additional security risk of displaying balances of bank accounts. can check my balance in my banking app.

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
Perhaps I lack imagination but I don't understand the purpose of this. Instead of opening my bank's app and looking at the balance there, I can open the wallet app and look at the balance there... instead..?
What was the functional difference, except one involves granting a third party access to my bank account?

nat1nat1

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2023
Perhaps I lack imagination but I don't understand the purpose of this. Instead of opening my bank's app and looking at the balance there, I can open the wallet app and look at the balance there... instead..?
What was the functional difference, except one involves granting a third party access to my bank account?
The theory would be one wallet to rule them all. Future features would be to make payments on behalf of the bank , which is supported through open banking. However, why they would do this, rather than make money through Apple Pay is beyond me.

Reactions: AstonSmith

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Based on the US adoption of contactless payments I’d say it might roll out before 2035.

And there'll need to be something catastrophic that happens (say, a global pandemic or a financial crisis) before Americans even discuss the possibility of trying it, too. Remember, contactless usage was in the single digits in the US prior to 2020 and is still one of the countries with the least amount of adoption today.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
What supermarket allows you to return a candy bar because you did not like it :oops:
As I clarified in another reply, it actually was worse than just that didn't like my chosen flavour, it had a distinctly off taste.

And the answer in this case was Lidl. Their policy being:

Not happy with a Lidl branded food product? The Lidl Love It Guarantee entitles you to a refund and replacement.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Ahh, I’ve been wanting this for a while now. My understanding is that the US doesn’t have the same open banking standard that the UK does, which enables this feature. Could it be possible for Apple to bring this to the US at some point in the future, doing whatever it is that apps like Mint do to access our banking records? It would be so nice to have just one app with all of that info.

Qwaf

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
It’s a bit odd that they’re using Monzo Plus for their marketing. If you’re using Monzo Plus then you already have this feature. And many, many more.

You can view your Monzo balance in the wallet app before this change? I can't see that feature and have never seen it before..

Reactions: coffeemadmanUK

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Works ok for super basic balance reporting. However, it removes additional spending data like location and maps from the default wallet transaction as it's overwritten by basic bank data. So I turned it off. Doesn't offer anything of value apart from an additional security risk of displaying balances of bank accounts. can check my balance in my banking app.
Oh, that's rubbish then. Thanks for the heads up. I see little point in it anyway. I am guessing it only shows balances without pending transactions, so for people who really need to know their exact balance to avoid overspend or whatever reason, they would need to use their banking app. If they don't need to know their exact balance, then they probably have a rough idea how much they have without it needing to appear in Apple Wallet. This all said, at least they are trying to add something new.

MrPiper415

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
You can view your Monzo balance in the wallet app before this change? I can't see that feature and have never seen it before..
Nah, I meant that you could always link other cards to Monzo Plus, and use the Monzo app to see balances across all your accounts.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
I’ve got this setup and it works well but Apple are really missing a trick here by not having it on the Apple Watch.

If I’m opening an app to check my bank balance and transactions why wouldn’t I just open the banks app? The double tap for the card on Apple Pay doesn’t show the balance so you have to manually open the wallet app anyway. So right now it’s a neat feature but largely useless.

On the Apple Watch however this would be a game changer, I use Apple Pay on the Apple Watch 95% of the time with my iPhone/Mac/iPad taking up the other 5%, now if I had the bank balance available on the watch without pulling out my iPhone that would be amazing especially for people with cellular watches who leave their other devices at home. I am hoping this is a precursor to wider rollout on other devices where you can use Apple Pay.

Last edited:

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Oh, that's rubbish then. Thanks for the heads up. I see little point in it anyway. I am guessing it only shows balances without pending transactions, so for people who really need to know their exact balance to avoid overspend or whatever reason, they would need to use their banking app. If they don't need to know their exact balance, then they probably have a rough idea how much they have without it needing to appear in Apple Wallet. This all said, at least they are trying to add something new.
Nope it shows the balance after pending for me with Lloyds so the available to use balance.

MadCar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
The internet
Open Banking in the UK is a little easier for a fintech as most use a common standard, across the EU the methods are a little different everywhere. Also the UK delivered this first, but then aligned to PSD2, it written into law post brexit and has indeed diverged in areas since from the EU.

Reactions: coffeemadmanUK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.