Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brezz

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Sorry if this has been answered in here, but I was looking for some help with the Files app. After I download a document and review it, is there a way to move it off the iPad and back into iCloud? I don’t need this particular document locally stored for offline use and would rather it just be in the cloud for now.

Thanks,
Brian

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Sorry if this has been answered in here, but I was looking for some help with the Files app. After I download a document and review it, is there a way to move it off the iPad and back into iCloud? I don’t need this particular document locally stored for offline use and would rather it just be in the cloud for now.

Thanks,
Brian
Try this:
  • Open Files, go to On my iPad, and find the file
  • Tap Select in the upper right hand-corner
  • Tap Move on the bottom of the screen
  • Choose new location.
That should put it up on iCloud.

brezz

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Try this:
  • Open Files, go to On my iPad, and find the file
  • Tap Select in the upper right hand-corner
  • Tap Move on the bottom of the screen
  • Choose new location.
That should put it up on iCloud.

Thanks...actually I don’t have anything in the “on my iPad” folder. This was something I viewed on iCloud Drive that is now stored locally. I’m guessing just like iCloud photos eventually it gets removed. Wish there was a manual way to get it off my iPad locally.

FairlyKors

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
Staines, East London
I completely agree with your long assessment of the files app. It’s the claustrophobia of not being “allowed” to bring in a file— or store it, or manage it in iOS that makes its such a frustrating and limp creative tool.

I’ve spent a lot of time using the iPad Pro 10.5 and its absolutely brilliant at a lot of things (especially with the pencil), and it appears to show tons of promise for future tasks like video editing, and so on— but Apple’s strangely closed off ecosystem looks like it might choke off real innovation as it relates to truly creating with (and collaborating) on important work.

I don’t want to own or use a Surface tablet, but without a way to create, move and organize common media files, that may be the only option. Such a shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.