How to view all of you're pictures?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Kushp14, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Kushp14 macrumors regular

How are you supposed to view ALL of you're pictures instead of only being able to view all of them in "moments" ?
    Thank you.

2. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Thanks for the input, Professor.

OP, that's how it is now...there is no "camera roll" as you knew it. All things are sorted the way you see them. Multiple threads on this (including one by me) that highlights how foolish this was by Apple. Hopefully, they revisit.

3. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

CANNOT BELIEVE THERE ARE 1,000 THREADS ON THIS ONE STUPID ISSUE WHEN REAL PEOPLE NEED REAL HELP!!! GAH! GET OFF IT ALREADY!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

The problem here being that you can't see what photos are physically on the phone and which are on the cloud.

5. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Not an issue for you but it is for others. If you don't want to see it at the top of the thread list, don't respond. The ones with more activity will quickly push it down (especially since it's not a real issue).

6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

It's an issue. A very big issue, especially for pro photographers like me.

7. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

When you try to upload a photo in an app for example you can only choose from albums, not photos where your pictures actually are. So yeah, big problem. Waiting for iOS 8.1

8. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

THIS. it's a huge issue. Go try to tweet a photo that's not in recents from inside Twitter right now. Go ahead. I'll wait. :mad:

Removing camera roll was insane. I have no idea why this even makes sense.

9. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

All your photos are in the photos tab including photostream photos. To save them, click share on each moment and then save all pictures for the moment. This will save all the moment photos in to your recent photos . How freaking hard is this to understand. How old are you all

----------

Did you ever think harder and realise you can go into photos tab, chose the photos you want to save locally, save them into recent photos and use them ???!

10. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

So, how do you tell whether a photo is stored locally on the device or is just a preview of a photo on iCloud? THAT is my biggest problem with this change.

11. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

In the Twitter app just below the tweet where the pictures are, if you drag down slightly you will see "<Albums" and that gets you out of the Most Recent picture section and you can select on of your albums. So essentially you need to take the pics that were in your old camera roll just before upgrading to iOS8 (hopefully you saved them on a mac using iPhoto or image capture) and create an album and then sync that album to your iPhone. I'll be creating a "Camera Roll" album.

A bit cumbersome though.

EDIT: I think Twitter should allow us to access all photos or "Favorites" as well which is done by pressing the heart icon.

12. Padmini macrumors 6502a

LMAO. It's no more an issue for you than it is for anyone else, Mr. "pro" photographer.

It was fine during the beta period, but Apple pulled iCloud Photo library at the last minute, so all you're left with is a half baked photos app that is missing it's entire purpose.

----------

Good grief. Try to come to grips with what happened. This is not what was supposed to happen.

You don't need a camera roll, a cloud, 25 albums, and shared activity.

iCloud Photo Library was designed so that all photos would, quite simply, be stored in the cloud, and on your device...with a setting to optimize storage as well. THEY PULLED ICLOUD PHOTO LIBRARY. I don't know why. But the result is leaving you with a worse photos app instead of a better one.

13. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Yes the lack of the library is the culprit. And Apple removed marketing web pages about the service. No explanation.

14. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Well, it's a good thing you're not being a presumptions jerk about it. Given the fact that showing my work is amongst the primary things I do with my iPad I'd say that I have a pretty solid case that it IS a bigger problem for me than it is for the average casual iPad owner. But do go right ahead and continue thinking you know what is and isn't a priority for everyone else because that isn't petty or insulting.

15. Padmini macrumors 6502a

This correct. No mention of it any longer in iOS 8 marketing. No explanation. I'm furious.

Furious for others that is....since I'm a dev I still have iCloud Photo Library. :D

----------

I know how it's supposed to work, and no amount of bitching from someone who doesn't understand what changed, what got pulled, and why it's not the intended solution, is going to change that.

16. mantan macrumors 68000

But why do we need an iCloud phone library. If I have a 128 gig device, why should I pay Apple for Cloud storage?!?!

17. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I don't want anything but a camera roll. Not recents. Not moments. Not the cloud. Not anything else they come up with. Just one large folder of pics not segregated. Why delete something that's been working for 7 years?

They can add new features and I'm willing to try them but don't dump the camera roll first.

18. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Good for you. Do you want a piece of cake? Because it really doesn't matter whether you know how it's supposed to work or what got removed because your knowing that doesn't fix the problem, now does it? Furthermore, crowing about your supposedly superior knowledge doesn't advance the conversation either. The point here is that we need to know what files are local and what files aren't. I don't think that's a hard concept to grasp, I don't think I'm out of line for pointing it out and I don't see how your commentary is helpful in any way, shape or form.

19. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Having the slightest clue how it works would help.

Even if you don't have iCloud Photo Library, and thus have none of your photos or videos automatically backed up with a built in solution, all of your photos are still there....under.....wait for it.......PHOTOS. Organized by date, just as the camera roll was before, but with A LOT more logic to it.

20. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Right. And why should there be any ambiguity about the location of the actual files?

21. Padmini macrumors 6502a

It still works the exact same way. I don't care if you want it called Camera Roll instead of Photos. It takes all of 5 seconds to understand what changed, and that's it's really no different at all, if you don't want it to be.

22. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Not really. There's a difference between the local copies of iCloud photos and actual local saves. Like I said: try editing one of the photos that's actually part of your photo stream, not a local save. You can't. You have to create a copy first and edit that instead.

So, WHO doesn't know how it works again?

23. Padmini macrumors 6502a

There is no ambiguity. You just don't get it. Nor have you taken the time to get it. The answer is in this thread. By me. Several times. You'd just rather whine and moan.

24. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

You're just flat out wrong and you're spreading bad information. It does NOT work the same way AT ALL. Adopting a snotty tone doesn't actually make you right.