Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
Not really. There's a difference between the local copies of iCloud photos and actual local saves. Like I said: try editing one of the photos that's actually part of your photo stream, not a local save. You can't. You have to create a copy first and edit that instead.

So, WHO doesn't know how it works again?

YOU. You don't know how it works. I've explained several times that this launch was botched and missing key elements, yet it still works mostly the way it is supposed to. Try to keep up. Bye now.

RipsMctits

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
It still works the exact same way. I don't care if you want it called Camera Roll instead of Photos. It takes all of 5 seconds to understand what changed, and that's it's really no different at all, if you don't want it to be.

It might "work" the same way, but it doesn't look the same (yeah, I'm captain obvious here). Efficiency has been totally fubared out of the Photos app. Instead of being able to see all my pictures for the past few weeks at a glance, in Moments they are separated by days/months category, which means I can only see 4-5 photos at a time, which right now is only three days of pictures. If I zoom out to Collections, I see a giant cluster**** of tiny pictures with useless date information that I couldn't care less about, taking up more space. Awesome.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
There is no ambiguity. You just don't get it. Nor have you taken the time to get it. The answer is in this thread. By me. Several times. You'd just rather whine and moan.

Nope. You're wrong. There is ambiguity. In the original camera roll the only photos that appeared were images that were either created or saved ON THE DEVICE. now the Photos section includes iCloud photos as well. This is NOT simply a matter of a folder being re-named.

----------

YOU. You don't know how it works. I've explained several times that this launch was botched and missing key elements, yet it still works mostly the way it is supposed to. Try to keep up. Bye now.

Saying it over and over doesn't magically make it true. I do know how it works. I'm looking right at it. You're blowing smoke. It doesn't function the same way as the camera roll did, as I explained. You're more than welcome to verify my comments.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Nope. You're wrong. There is ambiguity. In the original camera roll the only photos that appeared were images that were either created or saved ON THE DEVICE. now the Photos section includes iCloud photos as well. This is NOT simply a matter of a folder being re-named.

----------

Saying it over and over doesn't magically make it true. I do know how it works. I'm looking right at it. You're blowing smoke. It doesn't function the same way as the camera roll did, as I explained. You're more than welcome to verify my comments.

The cloud images are also your images right? The camera roll had images you saved from websites and those from apps like whatsapp ad well. You are essentially getting both the camera roll and iCloud

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014

You're right, it's a massive improvement over having a camera roll and a photo stream that were ALMOST the same collection, but not quite.

Your options going forward will be:

1. Store everything locally and in the cloud: best
2. Store everything locally and nothing in the cloud: worst
3. Store everything locally, disable IPL & PS, but keep Sharing on, and manually choose photos to share to an iCloud album.

The latter sounds like what you really need.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Having the slightest clue how it works would help.

Even if you don't have iCloud Photo Library, and thus have none of your photos or videos automatically backed up with a built in solution, all of your photos are still there....under.....wait for it.......PHOTOS. Organized by date, just as the camera roll was before, but with A LOT more logic to it.

It doesn't seem more logical if it takes longer to find pictures than it did under the old camera roll. Or at least set it up like iOS7 where you have the OPTION of the camera roll or Collections.

And as far as automatic backups, I actually can remember to back up my phone on a regular basis....so I don't need a background app to do it for me....

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
You're right, it's a massive improvement over having a camera roll and a photo stream that were ALMOST the same collection, but not quite.

Your options going forward will be:

1. Store everything locally and in the cloud: best
2. Store everything locally and nothing in the cloud: worst
3. Store everything locally, disable IPL & PS, but keep Sharing on, and manually choose photos to share to an iCloud album.

The latter sounds like what you really need.

It's not an improvement. I need to be able to know exactly which images are actually on the device and which aren't. This may come as a shock to you but everyone's' iPad/phone isn't constantly connected to the network. Additionally, I need to be able to manage the storage on my local device as I move a LOT of images around for my work. Not being able to tell what is and isn't on the device is a BIG problem.

How is this hard for you to grasp?

----------

Only due to lack of . iCloud drive, once that is enabled it gives you what you want

Not if I'm not always connected to the network. And not if I'm trying to manage local files.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
It's not an improvement. I need to be able to know exactly which images are actually on the device and which aren't. This may come as a shock to you but everyone's' iPad/phone isn't constantly connected to the network. Additionally, I need to be able to manage the storage on my local device as I move a LOT of images around for my work. Not being able to tell what is and isn't on the device is a BIG problem.

How is this hard for you to grasp?

----------

Not if I'm not always connected to the network.

It's not hard for me to grasp at all. It's clearly IMPOSSIBLE for you to grasp however. Let's try this again:

Apple ****ed up. iCloud Photo Library was supposed to be released today. It wasn't. Had it been.....

ALL OF YOUR PHOTOS WOULD BE IN THE CLOUD AND ON YOUR DEVICE AT ALL TIMES. (Unless you were to opt for all cloud, or all local)

Please read that a few times and do us all this favor.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
All your photos are in the photos tab including photostream photos. To save them, click share on each moment and then save all pictures for the moment. This will save all the moment photos in to your recent photos . How freaking hard is this to understand. How old are you all

----------

Did you ever think harder and realise you can go into photos tab, chose the photos you want to save locally, save them into recent photos and use them ???!

Can you please explain where do you see this?

click share on each moment and then save all pictures for the moment.

If I click share on each moment I have the option to share, copy, print, etc but not save action at all.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It's not hard for me to grasp at all. It's clearly IMPOSSIBLE for you to grasp however. Let's try this again:

Apple ****ed up. iCloud Photo Library was supposed to be released today. It wasn't. Had it been.....

ALL OF YOUR PHOTOS WOULD BE IN THE CLOUD AND ON YOUR DEVICE AT ALL TIMES. (Unless you were to opt for all cloud, or all local)

Please read that a few times and do us all this favor.

Wow. Thick much? Even if it worked like that it would STILL be broken. That behavior is NOT an improvement. Mixing iCloud with the local camera roll IS the problem, even if iCloud forces the images to download to the device (which is an absolutely idiotic thing for it to do.)

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
There are few reasons to need to know if a photo is "stored" on the device. The entire contents of the "photos", whether sourced from the old camera roll or other devices via iCloud seem to be cached on the device. For all purposes, all of your photos are stored on the device. The only difference is that you need to duplicate a copy of the photo locally to edit it, which doesn't even require a separate menu option. You just click Edit like you always do, and the app asks if you'd like to make a copy.

What about this is such an issue? Why is it necessary to know if the photo has been duplicated to the device? If the photo is showing under "photos", then it is there and able to be duplicated, edited, shared, etc. So, either the photo is there, or it isn't.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I don't see what the big deal is and why people keep posting about the photos app.

ALL your photos are in the PHOTOS section of the app. What you share is in the SHARED section. Any albums, creating by you, Apple, or 3rd parties, are in the ALUBMS section.

UNDERSTAND THAT DEVS STILL NEED TO UPDATE THEIRS APPS TO SEE THE NEW WAY THE PHOTO APP IS HANDLING PHOTOS. You can't blame Apple for devs not being ready.

You're photo still works the same as it always has in regard to uploading to your photostream. I've confimed that iPhoto is still getting my photos as it always has.

I expect this to change once iCloud Photo Library comes on board and iPhoto is official gone. As I understand it, you don't need to worry about what's in the cloud and what's not. It's just one giant library of photos that are both in the cloud and locally (I would recommend optizing for device for local), yet you can see everything.

But for now, EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT ALWAYS HAS, with the exception of 3rd party apps needing to re-write code to see the new Photos sections, instead of looking for the Camera Roll.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
There are few reasons to need to know if a photo is "stored" on the device. The entire contents of the "photos", whether sourced from the old camera roll or other devices via iCloud seem to be cached on the device. For all purposes, all of your photos are stored on the device. The only difference is that you need to duplicate a copy of the photo locally to edit it, which doesn't even require a separate menu option. You just click Edit like you always do, and the app asks if you'd like to make a copy.

What about this is such an issue? Why is it necessary to know if the photo has been duplicated to the device? If the photo is showing under "photos", then it is there and able to be duplicated, edited, shared, etc. So, either the photo is there, or it isn't.

It makes a BIG difference. Suppose, for example, that you don't want every photo you take to appear in your iCloud photo library? Or suppose you're not connected to the network? Or suppose you work with several devices and you want to maintain a distinction between the images taken on each of them.

There are MANY reasons why the camera roll is important and there are MANY reasons why its important to know whether a photo is "local" or whether it's on iCloud. Forcing people to have their photos in both places is idiotic.

----------

Clearly you don't do much photography and or only use one device to do it, because it IS a big deal for a whole bunch of very real reasons. The fact that it isn't a big deal for YOU doesn't mean it isn't a big deal for EVERYONE.

And by the way? I DO need to worry about what is and isn't in the cloud. I work with copy written images and while YOU may be comfortable with the security of the cloud I'm certainly not, so I really don't appreciate Apple making it so that every image on every device is automatically moved to their servers. In fact, this is EXACTLY why the iCloud library function was removed from the release. You may recall a little news item about celebrities and nude photos recently? Yeah. That.

The presumption that "Gosh! It's in the cloud, so everything is dandy!" is so wrong that it's kind of shocking that so many people adopt it without batting an eye, let alone the horrible interface problems represented by removing the ability to see what's been made by the device and what's been moved to it by iCloud.

I don't see what the big deal is and why people keep posting about the photos app.

ALL your photos are in the PHOTOS section of the app. What you share is in the SHARED section. Any albums, creating by you, Apple, or 3rd parties, are in the ALUBMS section.

UNDERSTAND THAT DEVS STILL NEED TO UPDATE THEIRS APPS TO SEE THE NEW WAY THE PHOTO APP IS HANDLING PHOTOS. You can't blame Apple for devs not being ready.

You're photo still works the same as it always has in regard to uploading to your photostream. I've confimed that iPhoto is still getting my photos as it always has.

I expect this to change once iCloud Photo Library comes on board and iPhoto is official gone. As I understand it, you don't need to worry about what's in the cloud and what's not. It's just one giant library of photos that are both in the cloud and locally (I would recommend optizing for device for local), yet you can see everything.

But for now, EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT ALWAYS HAS, with the exception of 3rd party apps needing to re-write code to see the new Photos sections, instead of looking for the Camera Roll.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
It makes a BIG difference. Suppose, for example, that you don't want every photo you take to appear in your iCloud photo library? Or suppose you're not connected to the network? Or suppose you work with several devices and you want to maintain a distinction between the images taken on each of them.

There are MANY reasons why the camera roll is important and there are MANY reasons why its important to know whether a photo is "local" or whether it's on iCloud. Forcing people to have their photos in both places is idiotic.

----------

Clearly you don't do much photography and or only use one device to do it, because it IS a big deal for a whole bunch of very real reasons. The fact that it isn't a big deal for YOU doesn't mean it isn't a big deal for EVERYONE.

And by the way? I DO need to worry about what is and isn't in the cloud. I work with copy written images and while YOU may be comfortable with the security of the cloud I'm certainly not, so I really don't appreciate Apple making it so that every image on every device is automatically moved to their servers. In fact, this is EXACTLY why the iCloud library function was removed from the release. You may recall a little news item about celebrities and nude photos recently? Yeah. That.

The presumption that "Gosh! It's in the cloud, so everything is dandy!" is so wrong that it's kind of shocking that so many people adopt it without batting an eye, let alone the horrible interface problems represented by removing the ability to see what's been made by the device and what's been moved to it by iCloud.

You must not know me well around here. Photography is pretty much what I do across several cameras. Get a clue. Do I trust the cloud? Not really, that's why I have a few backup solutions to hold a couple of terbytes of RAW files. But thanks for thinking you know me and my photography habits.

From what it sounds like, iOS is not for you. Please move to Android. You can always turn off the cloud as you see fit. No one is forcing you to use it. There are other implenations you can use, but you're so stubborn you too busy posting on Macrumors instead of figuring out a solution for your "problem".

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
It makes a BIG difference. Suppose, for example, that you don't want every photo you take to appear in your iCloud photo library?
Then you would go to Settings, iCloud, Photos and disable Photostream. The option is still there.

Problem solved, and you are now liberated from ranting in every thread related to Photos.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Then you would go to Settings, iCloud, Photos and disable Photostream. The option is still there.

Problem solved, and you are now liberated from ranting in every thread related to Photos.

He won't. He's complaining for complaining sake. He damn well knows he doesn't have to enable iCloud for photos.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

Not an option. I use Photostream to show collections to clients. But thanks for the insulting and self centered smear. Sorry everyone in the world isn't exactly like you.

PS: I've posted in a grand total of TWO threads about this, so you can feel free to get down off your high horse now.

----------

He won't. He's complaining for complaining sake. He damn well knows he doesn't have to enable iCloud for photos.

I'm not. I'm complaining because there's an actual problem here. Sorry you can't brook the idea that Apple isn't perfect.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
You must not know me well around here. Photography is pretty much what I do across several cameras. Get a clue. Do I trust the cloud? Not really, that's why I have a few backup solutions to hold a couple of terbytes of RAW files. But thanks for thinking you know me and my photography habits.

From what it sounds like, iOS is not for you. Please move to Android. You can always turn off the cloud as you see fit. No one is forcing you to use it. There are other implenations you can use, but you're so stubborn you too busy posting on Macrumors instead of figuring out a solution for your "problem".

Project your own character flaws much? God forbid you should ever encounter a problem with an Apple product that you actually care about. Maybe try showing some empathy some time in your life. Flaming me for nothing is not honorable or productive. Attempting to diminish me personally simply because you don't want to recognize a real problem is pretty immature.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Project your own character flaws much? God forbid you should ever encounter a problem with an Apple product that you actually care about. Maybe try showing some empathy some time in your life. Flaming me for nothing is not honorable or productive. Attempting to diminish me personally simply because you don't want to recognize a real problem is pretty immature.

There is no problem. You seem to be among the few people complaining about this.The majority of us get this and are waiting for app updates. Get a life.

----------

Not an option. I use Photostream to show collections to clients. But thanks for the insulting and self centered smear. Sorry everyone in the world isn't exactly like you.

PS: I've posted in a grand total of TWO threads about this, so you can feel free to get down off your high horse now.

----------

I'm not. I'm complaining because there's an actual problem here. Sorry you can't brook the idea that Apple isn't perfect.

You can still create your own Photostreams to show clients. Nothing has changed dude.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Jonny Ive: "The new Photo's app is beautifully, unapologetically complex and fragmented- delivered to you by Apple's finest, beta proof software. Photo's are now divided into moments... these moments go up into the cloud... or not? That's for you to figure out. We like to let you think about it. And that's what makes us great...Here at apple we like to give users a choice and give them time to think about how their interactions with their device mirror the easily fixable complexities of the outside world."

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Not an option. I use Photostream to show collections to clients.
If you care to look at the settings, there are two options. One toggles Photostream in general, and another toggles the ability to create shared photo streams. You can disable Photostream while still leaving the ability to explicitly create a shared Photostream to show your clients.

Problem solved (again).

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
There is no problem. You seem to be among the few people complaining about this.The majority of us get this and are waiting for app updates. Get a life,

You can still create your own Photostreams to show clients. Nothing has changed dude.

A great deal has changed, I'm far from the only one complaining about this and telling me to "get a life" just makes you look like a petty jerk "dude." In point of fact, you're the one who isn't getting it, mainly because you're making the rediculous mistake of universalizeing your own OPINION and stating it as fact. Weak.

----------

If you care to look at the settings, there are two options. One toggles Photostream in general, and another toggles the ability to create shared photo streams. You can disable Photostream while still leaving the ability to explicitly create a shared Photostream to show your clients.

Problem solved (again).

That doesn't solve my problem (again.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.