How to View the Desktop Version of a Website on Your iPhone and iPad

AnonMac50

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
That means you run across a 'responsive website'.

The easiest way to tell whether a website is responsive is to resize the browser window on a desktop. If the content changes, then it's a responsive website.

When a website is responsive, even if you 'request desktop version', the phone still can't show the desktop version because the layout of the website is determined by the screen resolution.

(original image link: https://searchengineland.com/figz/wp-content/seloads/2018/04/responsive-design.gif)

The 'request desktop version' only works on websites that actually provide 2 versions (one desktop, one mobile).
Oh I see! That clears it up! Smart and sneaky eh?:cool:

MrJeffreyGee

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I knew about this, but this feature doesn't always work and I still have to use a special app made just for this purpose. Really annoying!

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
You keep proving my point and making anyone who agrees with you cringe.
What percentage of websites do you estimate have the "responsive web design" to accommodate devices with smaller displays?

Most popular websites these days come in both desktop and mobile versions, with the latter rendering content in a more responsive fashion for a consistent browsing experience across a variety of tablet and smartphone screens. [...] I could see this feature being removed in the not too distant future, and the timing of the article struck me as somewhat random.
Nonsense. Until virtually all websites have adopted such designs correctly, the Request Desktop Site will continue to be valuable. Your claim was hopelessly vague, and his feature will NOT be removed anytime soon.

Once again, you failed to answer my question:
When exactly do you think that 99.99% of webpages will have the "responsive web design" feature?

[Silence.]

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
What percentage of websites do you estimate have the "responsive web design" to accommodate devices with smaller displays?

Nonsense. Until virtually all websites have adopted such designs correctly, the Request Desktop Site will continue to be valuable. Your claim was hopelessly vague, and his feature will NOT be removed anytime soon.

Once again, you failed to answer my question:
When exactly do you think that 99.99% of webpages will have the "responsive web design" feature?

[Silence.]
At this point I don't know if you're trying to defend the article's lack of timeliness or are in favor of separate websites for mobile and desktop.

If it's the latter, Google is pushing mobile first web design for SEO and Adwords. The writing is on the wall.

If it's the former, the author could have provided a little more context.

Either way, this feature has already been around for longer than it will continue to be around.
[doublepost=1540398527][/doublepost]
Responsive web design isn't a hypothetical theory. I'm not sure why you put it in quotes.

How many websites were using Flash when Apple decided it wouldn't support it in iOS?

If "request desktop site" is included in iOS 16, I will be extremely surprised.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
At this point I don't know if you're trying to defend the article's lack of timeliness or are in favor of separate websites for mobile and desktop.
I'm noting that your claim
I could see this feature being removed in the not too distant future
is completely silly, and you cannot even defend your point. If your claim were true, you would answer my question:

Responsive web design isn't a hypothetical theory. I'm not sure why you put it in quotes.
The point is that many sites will never support "responsive web design", and you can't see that.

How many websites were using Flash when Apple decided it wouldn't support it in iOS?
Irrelevant. The point is that ~5% of webpages still depend on Flash -- even though it has never been supported on iOS (and isn't supported on any mobile device platform now). That should give you a big hint why your "not too distant future" prediction is nonsense.

If you can't answer my question, please stop talking. Thanks!

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
If you can't answer my question, please stop talking. Thanks!
First of all, I'm not talking.

Secondly, your need to silence a point of view you disagree would tend to be counter to the very nature of a discussion forum.

Finally, you don't seem to be aware of trends in SEO, SERP, and Search Ads that drive the web, so I'll clarify a few basics for you: I'm not sure why you brought up Flash as a straw man that actually proved my point. Now you have come up with an arbitrary percentage that you expect me to answer as if it is in any way relevant to the discussion. Apple did not support Flash. They did not wait until 99.9% of websites had dropped Flash. Your percentage is a useless metric you have hung your hat on. The web is being driven towards a mobile first approach. Websites that don't take a mobile first approach will become irrelevant.

In the end, I'm fairly certain this feature will not be in iOS 16.

All discussion aside, this article is irrelevant without any context from the author about why it should be of interest to the reader 4 years later.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
All discussion aside, this article is irrelevant without any context from the author about why it should be of interest to the reader 4 years later.
It's just another "how to" type of article related to a perhaps somewhat less-than-obvious feature.

Jim Stauffer

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2020
I have the new iPad Air, if that matters. When I longpress the reload button, it only gives me the option to “copy”. Any other ideas?
- - Post merged: - -

I have the new iPad Air, if that matters. When I longpress the reload button, it only gives me the option to “copy”. Any other ideas?
I found the answer for those out there like me. Double click on the Aa button and you see some options, one being the desktop view.