how to watch youtube videos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by norcalstadium, Jun 17, 2007.

1. norcalstadium macrumors member

i've been playing around with the activity and download windows, and it seems like it is possible to play youtube videos directly from my mac's harddrive.
    for example, when you go to this pages' activity meter ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=HRJB_tMcbYg ), the video is the one that 8.7 MB. when I transfer that video to the downloads window, the video goes to my desktop. when I try to watch the video, i get the attached error message.

i really want to be able to watch youtube videos when I travel, for example, so please help me out!!

Attached Files:

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's a Flash Video file (.flv). You need something like VisualHub to convert it to MP4 (or other supported format).

The other option might be to install Perian plug-in, which I believe supports .flv.

3. UnitedRed macrumors member

I use isquint to convert them, just drag the file into it and press the button

4. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Go and grab Perian (a QuickTime plugin) and add .flv to the end of the file name. It will then play in QuickTime.

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

6. norcalstadium thread starter macrumors member

i just downloaded perian, but I do not know what to do now. I added .flv to the video name, but it still isn't playing..
    thanks for bearing with me (im new to mac..obviously).