How type CMD on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xCowmanx, Feb 8, 2009.

1. xCowmanx macrumors newbie

I need to use start-run-type cmd
    but Macs dont have Run so is there something similar i can do to type in cmd or do i just have to use a different computer other than a mac?

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I think you need to be more more descriptive with your question. What exactly are you looking to accomplish?

3. xCowmanx thread starter macrumors newbie

how to use run on a mac because i need to type cmd

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Go to spotlight (upper right corner) and type in "terminal" and press return.

After that, if you would like, you can right click on the Terminal icon in your dock and choose to keep it there for future use.

Of course that gives you a proper and powerful shell (bash by default). If you prefer a half-baked silly DOS shell, then yes you would need to use something other than a Mac. :)

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you mean in Windows when you click the Start button then click Run and type "cmd" to open Command Prompt?

the command line application in Mac OS X is Terminal like all Unix operating systems and is located in the Utilities folder.

a similar approach to typing "cmd" in Run would be to type "terminal" in Spotlight.

6. xCowmanx thread starter macrumors newbie

when i type cmd it says command not found...

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You just said the same exact same thing as you said originally. Again, I said explain what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to launch a program by typing its name? Are you trying to do file management using text commands? Don't tell me the name of the command you're trying to use from the MS Windows world, tell us exactly what result you are trying to accomplish.

8. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Like I said, type in "terminal", not "cmd".

This will give you a shell, just like if you typed in "cmd" on a Windows box.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

For what it's worth, Windows prompts will not work in the OS X terminal. You'll need to use unix.

10. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

Maybe if you tell us what you are trying to do we can help you. Something a little more descriptive than 'cmd'

As you have been told, open up the terminal from Applications => Utilities

Now that you have the terminal open you can type your different commands in there. The commands that you used in Windows will NOT work in this. This is not a windows command prompt. This is a Unix shell and is more powerful and has different commands.

Maybe try posting the windows commands that you want to use and we can translate them for you?

Cheers

11. James812 macrumors member

Command prompt is ONLY IN WINDOWS. So if you are reading some kind of step by step instructions somewhere to do something you must do it on a windows machine.

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

erm Terminal is a Unix prompt as Mac OS X's underpinnings are Unix like. it is totally different to Command Prompt in Windows however some commands are the same. do you know how to operate a Unix command line?

13. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Hah, wow, you're feeling more polite than I am tonight. I think the answer to your question is extremely obvious.

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hehe if someone now types "cmd" into a Unix prompt it should say the first sentence in *James812's* last reply :).

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

[​IMG]

Terminal is the Unix command prompt. CMD is Windows.

Also commands are totally different so if you're typing in DOS commands then its not going to work.

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you _need_ to use "start-run-type cmd", maybe you should consult a psychiatrist. He may be able to find out why you _need_ this and help you get rid of the affliction.

Seriously, try to explain what you are actually trying to achieve.

17. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Versailles:~ admin$ cmd
    -bash: cmd: command not found

18. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

"Dangit!!" <whack, whack> "Why won't this frikkin'..." <whack, whack> "...square peg..." <whack, whack> "...go into this..." <whack, whack> "... round hole?!?" <POW!>