How useful is it to remotely login to your Mac/PC from an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stanw, Jan 6, 2017.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I'm looking at some app that allow you to remotely login to a Mac from an iPad Pro and am curious to hear from others how useful it really is.

1. How do you use this type of app to remotely login to your Mac?
    2. Are you able to remotely login to your Mac over the internet or just while on your network?
    3. Are there security issues with doing this?
    4. What happens when your Mac goes to sleep?

Thanks.

2. mk313 macrumors 6502a

I don't use it any more, but I tried several of these apps when I had a need for this exact scenario. I ended up using Parallels Access. It costs a little bit more than some of the other options, but it worked great for my needs.

To answer your questions:
    1. You install the software on your Mac & iPad & then log in on both. Whenever you need to log in, you just open the app on your iPad.
    2. Both
    3. None that I was aware of
    4. Parallels had an option to wake the Mac from sleep. It worked great.

3. ericwn macrumors 65816

I use a software called Screens locally in my network to monitor a Mac. Could use it from remote locations too I think, but don't have a need for that. In theory any additional software you install and any ports that you open on your network for your computer to communicate with remote clients can be a security risk. Most things can be hacked. Some remote services will include proprietary software services that run on your Mac, so ask yourself how much you trust the service and software provider.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

5. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

Second teamviewer, it works very well and handles multiple monitors

6. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

VNC Light is free and does everything I need.

Provided you know the IP address of the the Mac you want to reach, you can use it from the Internet as well. In my case I have a static IP, and I forwarded the VNC port to the Mac from my router to access it from anywhere.

The paid version gives you better mouse control and allows you to right click I believe.

7. duckson macrumors member

I have the free VNC version to remotely log into a windows 7 laptop and a tap with 2 fingers at the same time gives me right click.

8. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I use Splashtop occasionally. I can connect from anywhere I have an internet connection.

It works OK. For me there were two issues. One is the lag due to the internet. The other is the mismatch of the screen sizes. My mac has a larger screen than my iPad Pro. This means I have to do a fair amount of zoom and pan to navigate my software. If you are just typing a document or fetching a file it works great. If you will run something more complicated like photoshop it can get tedious.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've used gotomypc (for work) and in a pinch it solved an issue, but I wouldn't recommend it. I found it to be cumbersome but that's just me.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I am a big fan of Jump Desktop + Citrix X1 mouse combination for my 12.9 iPad Pro.

(although my answers are Jump Desktop-specific, they are applicable virtually all remote desktop solutions)

1. I installed the Jump Desktop server on my iMac (this will "listen" for incoming remote desktop connections), I installed Jump Desktop client on my iPad Pro. While on my home network, I use the software to establish the connection between my iPad Pro and my iMac. (this is a one-time setup)
    2. I simply launch Jump Desktop on my iPP anywhere there is an internet connection... home, office, on the go.
    3. Technically there are security issues with any remote desktop software. I use a non-trivial password to control access and I'm not overly concerned.
    4. My iMac wakes up when there is an incoming remote desktop request. I don't recall, but I may have had to adjust some setting in Power settings to "wake on network".

Jump Desktop is one of 2 remote desktop apps for iOS that support a physical mouse. (the other is Citrix) There are 2 mice that have a special bluetooth connection that are recognized by Jump and Citrix. The Citrix X1 is a more traditionally-shaped mouse that works extremely well on the iPad Pro (but ONLY within Jump/Citrix). The mouse is a bit pricey ($50-$60) but in my opinion well worth it.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You beat me to it - I also use Jump Desktop and a Citrix X1 mouse and it works brilliantly :)

12. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

I use Jump Desktop from my iPad Pro 12.9" on the road with a Swiftpoint GT mouse to remote into my Mac Pro at home. It works great.

The Internet lag issue is reduced greatly if you use Jump's Fluid Remote Desktop protocol. I was happily using my Mac Pro in the US while I was travelling in Europe a few weeks ago, for example.

I agree with the screen size problem. I solved it with SwitchRes X to set the Mac Pro resolution to match my iPad Pro when on the road. If I'm on a slow Internet connection I sometimes set the Mac Pro resolution to a scaled-down resolution that 's half the iPad Pro resolution to help with Internet lag.

13. Wando64 macrumors 6502

The cases when one needs to use a desktop/laptop from a tablet are very few. Most of the times all that is required is to access the files stored on the desktop/laptop/SAN.
    I achieve this with an app called FileBrowser and it works a treat as I have all the apps I need (such as MS Office) already installed on my iPad.
    I also have Splashtop and I only used it to test it but never actually needed it once.

14. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies.

A few of you suggested using remote application programs with a specific mouse. I use the Magic Trackpad with my Mac. Why do you use this specific mouse an what does it have to do with remotely logging into a Mac from an iPad?

Thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    Does this app allow you to login/browse files from more than one Mac and view all the files, edit the files, move the files amongst devices? If so, that is probably all I need. Does it work over the internet also?

Thanks.

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I use a mouse when remotely logging into my iMac because I use a mouse when I' sitting in front of my iMac. This gives me a virtually identical user experience using my iPad Pro as when I use my iMac.

16. Wando64 macrumors 6502

FileBrowser works much like the Finder on a Mac, or File Explorer on Windows. It lets you access the files but it relies on other apps to edit them.
    It will access files wherever they are, including all of your cloud providers.
    Whether you will be able to access your Mac over the internet will depend on how you have set-up the Mac in the first place. I only use it on my LAN so I cannot be much help here.
    There is a free "lite" version of the app so you can download it and have a play with it, although I don't know what are the limitations of the free version. I've bought mine a long time ago when I wanted to access the data stored on my Mac and it has served me very well for that purpose.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I use Chrome Remote Desktop. Lots of pinching and zooming but it works ok and is free.

18. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does it wake up your Mac if it is sleeping when you need to access it?

19. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

Another vote for TeamViewer

20. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Yes.

21. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Does Jump Desktop and Citrix mouse work if my desktop machine is a Windows 10 machine? Thanks. Never mind. I answered my own question. Yes is the answer, trying it now.

22. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I like Jump. I like that I can use gmail and 2 step verification with it.

Also, Chrome remote desktop is my runner up.

Works on both windows and mac os

23. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

I remote in to access all the support apps I use taking care of users on my network. Jump Desktop has been awesome. Zooming into the specific app I need on my four screens at work, much better than dragging a laptop with me or worse, a Surface Pro.. (I really need to order that Citrix mouse..)

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The reason a specific mouse was mentioned is that only those mice (Citrix x1 and swiftpoint gt) will work with an iPad (and then only in certain apps such as Jump Desktop and Citrix Receiver) - other mice, trackpads, etc simply don't work

25. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Which is, quite possibly, the dumbest thing Apple has ever done. And there have been a few :)