How we'll know an iMac release is imminent

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Roller, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Roller macrumors 68020

Mostly for fun, while we're waiting...
    • Gene and Herman Munster say so
    • The Wall Street Journal quotes Gene and Herman
    • We see leaked pics of iMac parts, like the power button or plug
    • Press people get an Apple event invite ("The Desktop Is NOT Dead")
    • A fuzzy reproduction of a new price list from Best Buy shows up
    • None of the new iMac threads in this forum are updated for a few days
    And, the most reliable of all:
    • I give up waiting and buy a 2011 iMac

2. Zach Vega macrumors regular

Zach Vega

I'm gonna wait out for the 2012/2013 model. Hopefully, it'll be out by early 2013.

3. Mengele macrumors member

4. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Right, bring on the Haswell iMacs! :)

5. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

if you are that focused on the VERY latest tech, then you know apple isn´t the way to go. They don´t tend to rush products to have the latest hardware the second they come out.

6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Go ahead and make that purchase then! ;)

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is sarcasm right? That these cpus weren't even officially launched until may 31st with available quantities ramping up over time should indicate nothing new will be out for a while. Haswell is likely enough to slide to the second half, so knowing the next update is at least a year away means one will happen with the current generation. I'm just a bit surprised it has gone on this long.

8. cypress822 macrumors regular

you will know because the earth will rotate backwards

9. Mengele macrumors member

They don't usually wait 6 months to release them though. The 2011 iMac got first dibbs on the chipset and CPU.

10. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

but hardware don´t come out simultaneously. Ivy Bridge VPU may become a few months old when the iMac comes out. 680M just recently got released. So we are not talking old news hardware just yet :D

But yeah, time to release! and I guess they had if they didn´t get some production delays. At least thats what rumors says.

11. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Funny that they're also the one who's itching to get rid of oh-soon-to-be-outdated-stuffs like ODD and Ethernet.

12. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

you know what is gonna suck. Apple will release the next iMac and because it has taken so long it might already be outdated or very close to it... It makes me start to think whether I should make my next computer an iMac or a PC. os x :'(

----------

nice one lol. Apple is all about design, not so much tech :p no cables, no slots is neater looking so they push for it

13. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

When the Haswell iMacs come out they'll be late news as well....

14. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Unlikely. An October iMac would likely be followed by no earlier than June/July.. which would be just before or just after Haswell. If you're uncomfortable owning equipment that might have new parts released in about 9 months, you're better off using a typewriter.

15. cvaldes, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

cvaldes macrumors 68040

Typically, channel inventory dries up and right before the announcement, estimated shipping times at the online Apple Store jump dramatically.

16. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

Does that mean that at a certain point you may order a 2011 iMac and, since they're effectively out of production, be shipped a 2012 iMac?

17. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yes that can happen from what heard. But it's a great risk to take if you are aiming for a 2012 model and order a current. Since the current model is so old now and sale is sparse - it might as well come a new model without the the current iMac stock drying up. That happened for the MacBook pro at wwdc. So then you can (and I'm sure a lot of people did on the mbp) order the 2011 model and te day after the sell new models. That would be irritating. But I guess those who buy the 2011 model now don't care anyway.

18. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

You have a point. I'm one of the doubters, as I said in another thread I'm getting so tired of this wait and this lack of news that I'm tempted to get a 2011 refurb and then decide whether to keep it when (if) the new ones arrive. After all, since it'll be "almost current", I suppose it would retain quite some resale value.

Also, Apple put a page explaining returns on the Italian store, detailing how you can call them if you want to return the computer for any reason within 14 days from purchase, completely free (they send a courier to pick it up at their own expense.) That's fairly unusual over here, where sales are almost always final and returning anything, or even getting something broken replaced, is almost impossible.

It's all very tempting, but it also seems like a very stupid thing to do at this stage. But what if — just like it wasn't April, it wasn't WWDC and it wasn't ML — it's neither September nor October, and indeed not 2012 at all?

I can wait if my 2006 iMac lives on, but it's getting extremely frustrating.

19. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Could this hardmac blurb have some credit? Could Apple be waiting to save a lousy $10 per unit? :eek:

Intel will begin offering in the coming weeks processors Ivy Bridge lacking and the graphics for desktop computers. It is possible that this is expected by the processors for Apple to launch its new iMac , knowing they can save ten dollars per machine which is far from negligible when we sell millions.
    Incidentally, these processors without the graphics (in fact it is disabled) consume slightly less energy which is always good to take in one compact machine.

20. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

nah I meant. When the iMac comes out it will have ivy bridge 680m. But before that iMac comes out the 690m will be available and whatever is after ivy bridge lol.

21. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Well Haswell is after Ivy Bridge. And that's probably not until the 2nd half of next year. (They say April now, but there's plenty of time for it to get delayed.)

I can't find anything to suggest that a 690M will ever exist. If anything Nvidia's keeping it in their back pocket to pounce when AMD puts out a 7990m, which likely also won't be for many months. No matter, the 680M is a fine card and will be for many years.

Interestingly I'm hearing murmurs of supply shortages of the 680M. Not sure if this is Apple sucking them all down or if there are production issues.

22. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Please let it be that Apple has used 'em all in new iMacs....

23. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

haha, i mean that when the imac comes out with the new parts it will already be 1 year old parts which is what people are saying here. "I won't pay full price for one year old technology" so buying the 2012/13 imac will have 1 year old parts about :p

24. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I can't give that nonsense ANY credit. Once I waded into it deep enough to try to make sense of the language, I didn't know which way to swim to get to any relevant point.

25. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

I think Apple will use the 7970m. It's better for professional apps than the 680m, and on par in gaming.