How well was the Lion aceptance over Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeandrodaFL, Dec 17, 2011.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Im one of the users who disliked Lion, for changing Dashboard, Expose and some touch controls, I like my desktop OS not to be iOS

Altough I believe Leopard was the biggest evolution ever, I believe Lion was the more drastic evolution of Mac OS. I alwasys welcomed previows Mac OS updates. This is the first time Im not upgrading, I plan on keeping Snow Leopard.

I was wondering if there are other mac users like me, who will choose to keep a previows Mac Os version over the current. Certainly Lion is the version wich will have more resistance, and I would like to have an idea of how this issue spread.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I didn't have any problem with Lion other than the removal of Expose, and to me, it is trivial. Overall I am pleased with Lion and have no desire to downgrade.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This place was literally flooded with Snow Leopard haters when it came out
    There were as many if not more than those hating on Lion

4. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Lion is the first release I downgraded from. All the other releases I anxiously upgraded as soon as I could and I understood the few bugs I encountered would be fixed. Lion's problems aren't bugs, they are fundamental design decisions. It is deeply flawed, from forced auto save to screwed up multiple monitor support.

I remember people complaining about a very few things Snow Leopard changed, they were all pretty minor, and they didn't fill the forums on here every day for 5+ months after it was released.

Apple really dropped the ball with Lion, and the fact that its growth rate has stagnated shows it. The only reason why Lion share might be slowly growing is because Apple doesn't make it possible to put Snow Leopard on their newest hardware.

5. plunkettphoto macrumors newbie

I upgraded my notebook to Lion and have not seen any reason to upgrade my Mac Pro, but several reasons not to. Main reason is the calendar and address book - just over worked graphics instead of functionality. Expose is missed but not critical. Mail took a little getting used to but I would be okay with it. I use a dual monitor setup and am hearing some bad things about dual monitor support in Lion.

However, you touched on my biggest concern which is the iOSification of my Mac. As a photographer, I have used high end macs and have loved them. I am worried that Apple is so involved in cell phones and tablets that power users are going to get left in the dust.

Now with rumors of discontinuing the Mac Pro line, I am truly concerned. I would really hate to have to move back to windows but if that's what it will take to get a power machine, then that's what I'll do.

If Apple is monitoring: hey guys, I'm over 60 and plan to retire in a very few years. Don't screw up my life before I die...

6. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Whats the diference from snow leopard to leopard? its the same..

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Um, no... Leopard and Snow Leopard were definitely not the same
    There were not a lot of UI changes, but under the hood there were significant changes that impacted many users

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The main reason for not upgrading from Snow Leopard is the inability of Lion to run the PowerPC Apps I still occasionally use. What's more, from what I've seen, I see no real advantage for changing.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ultimately that's each user's decision. The need to weigh in the advantages/disadvantages to the upgrade.

For many, Lion provides tangible improvements and they gladly embraced 10.7.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

13. Maverick513 macrumors member

I am using Lion and do not have the problem yet. Personally, Lion is good for me. But I noticed many users met various issues.

14. foiden macrumors 6502a

Snow Leopard was more of a hidden upgrade. It added useful things under the hood, but it was pretty close to Leopard with plenty of Leopard revisions leading up to it. So in a way, it probably was one of the smoothest transitions possible. Lion offered drastic changes, and those are ones that take a little more time to iron out. I think it'll turn out to be very nice over time and I would imagine the next official release to be a smoother transition as it adds progressive improvements on Lion, not so much of a paradigm shift.

Unlike some, I didn't really have much of anything that needed the old chip emulation. I came in with Leopard. I think only Diablo 2 was the only thing I need to run a different way. Fortunately, wine or crossover makes it possible to still run that while in Mac OSX.

15. once yo go mac macrumors newbie

i get on with lion ok on the mac mini and macbook but i hate the open windows on next start up bit..

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But that's easily changed

17. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's not "easily" changed at all.

It's clumsily changed every time you want to reboot, and buggy so much that the setting is sometimes ignored regardless.

Phazer

18. jackhdev macrumors 6502

I think the Lion client version is great. It's fast, simple, and easy to use. Lion Server on the other hand... ugh. Apple oversimplified everything not to mention it is extremely buggy. I quickly downgraded my server back to Snow Leopard Server. It's disappointing to see that Apple is kicking the advanced users out the door (stopped selling Xserve, stopped selling Shake, Final Cut X is iMovie Pro, Lion Server, doing away with advanced certification courses... etc).

19. Frozzie macrumors regular

OS X Lion is the first OS X that I have used, and to be honest - I cannot see myself using OS X Snow Leopard. Though never used Independent Expose, Spaces etc, as light user I wouldn't want Mission Control removed.

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm not saying it's true for all users but if you're a new Mac user, Lion should be fine since you wouldn't have anything to compare to. If you were an extensive user prior to Lion, there are changes that you'll definitely notice and may or may not affect you. Changes to Expose to Mission Control is one if not the biggest change why many people are not upgrading.

21. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Since you're new to OS X, Mission Control makes sense and in many ways it's far superior than Windows' window management.

Yet when you compare Mission Control to Exposé, Exposé is the most usable one.

Here's what you see with Exposé with 5 windows:
    [​IMG]

And this is what you see with Mission Control with 4 windows:
    [​IMG]

22. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Wow, that sucks. I'm still happily using SL and haven't upgraded because I can't afford any downtime right now and there is nothing that Lion adds that I need.

23. Frozzie macrumors regular

I see, but at least there is Exposé application that you can enable in settings... you just need to drag icon over to dock app and swipe 4 fingers down and it exposes for that specific app (for my settings).

Not that Lion is a problem to me, but from what I see, Lion seems downgrade in a way that they are putting more emphasis on 'aesthetic' side of operating system rather than 'functional' side which previous OS X used to be more focused on... I mean, Launchpad doesn't enhance productivity. Mission Control isn't necessary with Spaces or Exposé.

They are probably just there as substitute with a goal towards more of 'iOS' feel of OS X as Apple themselves said it is 'Back to Mac' itself explains whole a lot about OS being something that looks nice. Maybe they felt Macs should look more attractive to Windows customers. ;)

24. olderone macrumors newbie

Lion is a great disapointment

I am very disappointment with my MacBook Pro after upgrading to Lion. Snow Leopard seemed a great improvement ... Lion seems a great step backward. Apps crash, its noticeably slower and it won't shut down. Very disappointed...

25. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Those of us who use mobileme have no choice but to go to Lion and iCloud regardless of how great or not great it is over SL