Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mathewbhavnani

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
So the apple watch is my first smart watch and first device in terms of wearable technology, I'm new to this

Usually I don't wear my watch to the gym or around the house so I'm wondering how and when you guys wear it? I don't usually wear my watch when I'm home as there are clocks everywhere and I leave my watch/phone on the charger. I only feel like I really wear it when I'm out. What about you guys? Do you wear it to the gym? In the mornings? Around the house? Only when you go out? In the shower? Do you ever take it off? Lol

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For me, I will wear it after I wake up and after clean myself in the bathroom, until just before I go to take my shower and sleep. Even though I know this watch has excellent water resistant, I still has no intention to soak it.

Of course, if I don't need to remain contactable, or I am actually working / playing in front of my computer, I may take it off to charge the battery.

Oldskool23

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2013
I'm wearing mine all the time. I think I'm the perfect use case for the  watch tho! I work out (gym/cardio) about 5-6 times a week, my iPhone is with me at work but I am unable to pull it out to check it very often. And I drive a lot at work also, and I need to wear a watch at work as I'm constantly having to refer to the time/date etc. i don't see the point in having a fitness tracking watch if your not going to wear it all the time.? U waste half the functionality of the watch if u don't use it all the time... But to each his own. #

mathewbhavnani

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
can't fitness and activity just be tracked through the phone? and it will sync up with the watch?

i mean, if the watch can work independently for activity without the phone....isnt it the same format vice versa? i don't really wear a watch to the gym but i have my phone on me....so would it still track things through the activity app?

IamDave

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
United Kingdom
All day on my days off and when I decide to return to the gym ;). Was intending on wearing it at work too but for "infection prevention and control" reasons we're no longer allowed to wear wristwatches.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
For me, I will wear it after I wake up and after clean myself in the bathroom, until just before I go to take my shower and sleep. Even though I know this watch has excellent water resistant, I still has no intention to soak it.

Of course, if I don't need to remain contactable, or I am actually working / playing in front of my computer, I may take it off to charge the battery.

Exactly. It's scratch resistant too but you wouldn't take a knife to it. I don't understand all of these people who wanna test out how resistant it really is.

whatos

macrumors 6502a
Exactly. It's scratch resistant too but you wouldn't take a knife to it. I don't understand all of these people who wanna test out how resistant it really is.

I agree with you. Apple has a tremendous engineering team that has done an excellent job. I have trust in them and no desire to second guess their work. It's as simple as that.

mathewbhavnani

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
I don't usually feel very comfortable wearing the watch when I go to the gym....I do bring my iPhone so I'm wondering if the activity app will function just the same? And sync up with the watch when it is in range? Or do I have to wear the watch for the activity app to work?

Also when using weather as a complication on watch face, I heard it keeps location services on at all times on the phone therefore draining battery, as opposed to when it isn't a complication and location services aren't on at all times.....is this true?

WayneHixson

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
can't fitness and activity just be tracked through the phone? and it will sync up with the watch?

i mean, if the watch can work independently for activity without the phone....isnt it the same format vice versa? i don't really wear a watch to the gym but i have my phone on me....so would it still track things through the activity app?

Wouldn't get the heart rate with just the phone. I consider that a major factor.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
So the apple watch is my first smart watch and first device in terms of wearable technology, I'm new to this

Usually I don't wear my watch to the gym or around the house so I'm wondering how and when you guys wear it? I don't usually wear my watch when I'm home as there are clocks everywhere and I leave my watch/phone on the charger. I only feel like I really wear it when I'm out. What about you guys? Do you wear it to the gym? In the mornings? Around the house? Only when you go out? In the shower? Do you ever take it off? Lol

The only times it hasn't been on my wrist are the times that I'm charging. It has become a true companion.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015

Your phone can track things, but because of the heart rate monitor on the watch, it can do a much better job at track your calories than your phone, if that's something that you go to the gym for. for me personally, its way more convenient. I use my flip belt when I exercise, & i've always hated having to take out my phone in the middle of a run or intense cardio. Now I don't have to.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I charge it between 10pm-11pm because I'm always sat at the computer at that time and it can charge next to me over the USB cable. It's been at 30%-ish battery at the point of charging.

Apart from that one hour charge and showering it's always on my wrist.

mathewbhavnani

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
I don't usually feel very comfortable wearing the watch when I go to the gym....I do bring my iPhone so I'm wondering if the activity app will function just the same? And sync up with the watch when it is in range? Or do I have to wear the watch for the activity app to work?

Also when using weather as a complication on watch face, I heard it keeps location services on at all times on the phone therefore draining battery, as opposed to when it isn't a complication and location services aren't on at all times.....is this true?

I noticed that activity app only really does anything when you wear the watch...so if I have my phone in my pocket at the gym and not my watch on me, the activity app just does not do anything in terms of moving or exercising or standing....

I thought data would sync up when the iPhone was in range of the watch... But it doesn't]

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
I've always worn watches. So for me it's off only for showers and sleep most days. Btw I throw mine on the charger during showers. Gives it a extra boost.

mathewbhavnani

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015

What does power reserve do? Does it still track activity and stuff? What does it mean?

I noticed that activity app only really does anything when you wear the watch...so if I have my phone in my pocket at the gym and not my watch on me, the activity app just does not do anything in terms of moving or exercising or standing....

I thought data would sync up when the iPhone was in range of the watch... But it doesn't

mathewbhavnani

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
MANY QUESTIONS, any help is appreciated :)

I don't usually feel very comfortable wearing the watch when I go to the gym(the handlebars of the treadmill get in the way and when I swing my arms, they can easily hit handlebars)....I do bring my iPhone so I'm wondering if the activity app will function just the same? And sync up with the watch when it is in range? Or do I have to wear the watch for the activity app to work?

What about power reserve? Does it still track activity? What does it mean? What can the watch do and NOT do in this mode?

I thought data would sync up when the iPhone was in range of the watch... But it doesn't

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

What about power reserve? Does it still track activity? What does it mean? What can the watch do and NOT do in this mode?

1) Possible, it seems some function is a battery killer. So far some people has zero problem, and the others keep complaining the watch kill the iphone's battery. So, for me, it sounds like different setting cause the issue.

2) power reserve mode only allow the watch to display time. You can't even choose the watch face (it's a very simple digital presentation), but it will still detect your wrist action, and only turn on the screen when required.

arminta7

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Portland, OR
Mine is always on me accept for my morning shower and evening bath. I'll probably top it off sometimes when I'm at my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.