How will AT&T handle tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

When I first activated it, I got a message saying to contact AT&T to turn it on, but I clicked the tethering icon again and it allowed me to turn it on and off, most likely because AT&T hasn't made a plan for the iPhone yet. I'm not entirely sure on this subject, but when you pay the $30 or so dollars to AT&T, they allow you to turn that switch on, otherwise you get the message to contact AT&T, right? But many of us will already have this tethering icon activated to the point where we can turn it on and off. So if you use tethering on your laptop when they come out with a plan, will they just bill the $30 to your account? And who here will download the new carrier settings/OS if it disables this ability to activate tethering? Will this all depend on AT&T's ability to know which phone is tethering?

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

We don't know yet?

I'd assume there won't be a simple work around. AT&T will probably have some way of knowing who is tethering and who isn't.

A previous blackberry user might be able to shed some light on how they handle blackberry tethering though?

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How will AT&T handle tethering? Well, when you tether you connect to a different server (hence the APNs flying around about WAP@CINGULAR and all that jazz) instead of the regular server. So thats how AT&T will know when you are tethered.

Also, what will it cost? Well, the best guess is that $30 extra and you will have a limit on that say 5GB cap? And fees after you blow past the cap. Same deal as with all other smartphones that can tether.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

There's been a few rumors posted on MR and tethering is something that will be available to all, but in the meantime, keep an eye out on the AT&T wireless website for updates. You can probably compare tethering amounts with other phones that offer that same capability; such as BB = $65 for personal data & tethering per month....:eek::eek::eek: