How will the iOS 8 reveal actually work

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jack97, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Jack97 macrumors regular

Jack97

I've been thinking about this and I can't get my head around it: apple are going to preview iOS 8 at WWDC in June. One of (if not the biggest) feature so far is looking to be healthbook. Now the iWatch is scheduled for release in September - the device that Healthbook is actually made for. So how are they going to preview iOS 8 without an iWatch?

There may be features of healthbook that use only the iPhone to operate. But even so, wouldn't it be 'giving the game away' as to what's to come with the iWatch?

Just interested to hear your thoughts.

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Wow, you serious?

They will just preview what they can on an iPhone, simple as that. Healthbook can still be shown on an iPhone as well.

3. marvz, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014

marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

It will be the same as what they did with the original iPhone (iPhone was presented 5 months ahead of its release) and iPad (iPad was presented 3 months ahead of its release). So I think they will show off the iWatch at WWDC to let developers prepare for the Fall release.

4. Sirious, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I agree with what you have said as they did the same with the 2013 Mac Pro.

5. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Who cares about Healthbook anyway?
    That's one app I'll be filing on my last screen, along with passbook/contacts(part of the phone app anyway)/gamecenter/stocks/news stand...

7. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I'm eager to see it, might be something after all

8. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Can't judge until I see it, but I actually find Passbook quite useful.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think Tim himself said they show things they want people to copy early or something like that so maybe they will show the iWatch at WWDC but it won't go on sale on September.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

What do you mean copy early?

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't know. I'm pretty sure Tim Cook said that when they want to be copyied they announce things early or something like that

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

What do you mean "you serious?" The OP asked a simple valid question. Apple cannot preview Healthbook if the current iphone doesn't have the sensors needed to make it work. Can you measure Hydration or Blood Pressure with an iphone 5S? No.
    I agree with the OP, if they show ios 8 with Healthbook they need to show iWatch too.

13. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Hm. Whatever you say.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

They can show a limited version showing the things the 5s can measure (sleep, steps, log eating, etc. )

15. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Yeah, just be sarcastic. That's mature!

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

if healthbook is the 'biggest' app (no pun intended ;)), then i will be VERY disappointed.

i mean.. i know most may americans need this app, but as a canadian it isn't a high priority for us.

17. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

1) The biggest features of new iOS versions is rarely a new app, so I'm not sure why you'd be so disappointed about that..

2) Canadians don't care about good health? If you take good care of your health, you don't need to go to the doctor to begin with.

18. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I bet for anything that the iWatch can measure that the (current) iPhones can't, there will be a way to manually input those measurements (i.e. those taken with other devices). So Healthbook will be sold as a way to keep track of your health etc. Then iWatch will make that more streamlined.

19. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Tim Cook has never said anything like that.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I know what constitutes healthy food, and I also know that exercise is important. I don't need a cruddy app to assist in this department. It's a complete gimmick and will require use of the silly iWatch I'm sure.
    I just want a bigger screen, the physical home button to disappear, more RAM and less bugs.

21. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, but you can still develop conditions such as hypertension, diabetes (type I), etc. Apps like this May help warn you about potential diseases. As well, tracking your sleep can be good as well to give you an indication of how various lifestyle choices may effect your sleep patterns.

There are plenty of good uses for Healthbook than just making sure you're eating right. :rolleyes:

Also, no one will force you to use it.

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Blood pressure monitors are already freely available, and no 'app' will be able to diagnose diabetes. In fact most medical conditions can only be diagnosed via a blood test.

Of course I don't have to use it, and I most probably won't, but that doesn't stop me feeling astounded that people are getting really excited by this impending app.

23. cmChimera, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014

cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I'm REALLY hoping they show off the iWatch at WWDC. I agree with you that not having it and showing off Healthbook would be disappointing.

I really hope not. That'd be so boring. But it is possible that it's what they'll do.

It isn't meant to diagnose diabetes, but to help track blood sugar for those who have diabetes, or those that just would want to know their blood sugar.

The app and watch would also be fantastic for people that want to track fitness stats like fat%, heart rate, calories burned, distance traveled. Sleep tracking is cool for people who want to do that (I don't, but I know many that do). These, among other reasons, are why people, including me, are excited about the app and watch.

Also, this is a blood pressuremonitor: [​IMG] Doesn't take a genius to see more practicality in a watch that performs this function rather than the device in the image.

24. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I would rather the more accurate machine to keep at home. The watch will be a major gimmick for most folk.

25. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Have any data to back up that the iWatch is inaccurate? Or that the iWatch will be a major gimmick (what is a major gimmick? Aren't gimmicks decidedly minor by definition?)?