How will the iPhone 4's pre-orders work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krypt17, Jun 7, 2010.

1. krypt17 macrumors member

I didnt upgrade when the 3GS was available so Im not sure how this works. Im eligible for an upgrade.. and I read that the preorders start on the 15th.. How does it work? Do you go to the AT&T site or the Apple site to preorder.. And if its the apple site how do they know your eligible?

2. manjaap macrumors member

I just talked to an Apple rep over the phone and they said we can either pre-order online on the 15th and it will be shipped straight to us or we can reserve and pick up at retail store. I'm not sure how it is working with AT&T. I'm getting it shipped so I can open it myself and not have some Apple retail employee do it...

3. krypt17 thread starter macrumors member

So we can upgrade via the apple website..? We'd still have to get a micro sim card..

4. wishman35 macrumors regular

Most likely not, the phone will get shipped with a micro sim card already in it, and once you do the upgrade through iTunes it will transfer all of your cell information to the new sim card already in the iPhone 4.

My question about the preorders is if we choose to ship it will it take a week after launch to receive it if we do not pay rip off overnight shipping charges?

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The micro sim is already in the phone. If you order online, then once the phone arrives, all you need to do is plug in the phone into iTunes and activate the phone, almost immediately the service on your old phone will be disabled and your new phone will become active.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Just like the 3GS and the iPad, you will receive your product on the release date (if your order is placed before the deadline). Their is also no need to pay for overnight delivery, Apple automatically ships all orders overnight at no charge to you.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

*sigh* seems most people here dont know a phone ships with a sim.

i wish i could order today

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm hoping they guarantee delivery by the 24th or either the 25th so I can just have it shipped to my job and not have to deal with lines of people. If not, then I'll reserve one to pick up at the Apple store. I'm sure the Apple stores will crackin their doors open @ 7AM for this launch maybe earlier.

9. krypt17 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for answering my questions. I appreciate it. But.. I guess if it takes a week to arrive then so be it. Better a week than a month of everything being sold out. I'll take it if I can get it. I'm debating on maybe trying the apple store reserve..

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The phone WILL ship with a SIM. How else will you activate the phone considering it uses a micro-sim card now.

11. tritonj macrumors 6502a

if you do instore pick up, do you pay for the whole thing up front when you pre order? or do you pay a deposit and then the rest on pick up? or do they just put a hold on your account till the pick up/ship date?

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you order before the deadline (date has no been announced yet), you will get your new iPhone on the 24th.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit?

14. dagored macrumors 65816

Not to hijack your thread, but I am a Verizon user jumping ship. Can I have two iPhones sent to my home (wife want one also) and set up a new AT&T account thru iTunes, or will I have to go to the Apple Store?

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

No it's called I made a mistake :rolleyes:

16. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Good info :D

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can either preorder from Apple.com or AT&T's site. Or show up at an apple store also. Up to you.

18. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You pay when you go pick up your phone at the Apple Store.

Pre-order = home delivery (you put a credit card on file, but your only charged once it ships)

Reserve = in store pick up (you pay when you pick up your phone in store)

19. dojoman macrumors 65816

Does anyone know the price tier for people that are not eligible to upgrade?

20. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I've never pre-ordered, but I'm sure they do a check on your card to make sure it can be paid. They can't put a hold on the money as most holds automatically drop after 5 days if not charged.
    I doubt they can legally charge your account before it's shipped (there are laws covering these sort of things).

If there are people who pre-ordered last year that maybe can answer the question.
    I know last year that pre-orders set to pickup at AT&T stores had their own line outside... that is my plan if available.

21. tritonj macrumors 6502a

thanks, that's what i figured but wanted to confirm apple handled pre-order/reserves the same as other companies i've dealt with in the past

22. dagored macrumors 65816

What I want to know is if I preorder and the phones come to my house, can I set up an AT&T account and use my Verizon phone numbers?

23. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Early upgrade is $200 more. So the iPhone 4 16gb is $199 eligible upgrade, $399 early upgrade.

24. Chase817 macrumors member

Chase817

So, just to clarify: I go online on the 15th, and pay $299 for the 32GB on Apple's website. My iPhone 4 should be at my doorstep on the 24th and I activate it on my computer? If there is no extra charge for preordering, (tell me if there is) why wouldn't everyone preorder? If you get it on the same day, and don't have to wait in a line, what's the catch?
    (I'm new to this)

25. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

I'm on a business plan and I've always had to upgrade in the past at AT&T only. Is AT&T accepting in store orders that day?