How will the iPhone end?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikemanblah, Jul 20, 2010.

1. mikemanblah macrumors regular

When will the iPhone end?
    A few years ago we though the original iPods were unstoppable, look now. Very few people have a click-wheel iPod.

Post your opinion

2. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I hope the thread dies

4. brown.eyed.girl macrumors member

But the iPod hasn't died, so I don't think the analogy holds. Tons of people have iPods now...it just happens to be new versions and not the original click-wheel. In a few years, it's very possible that very few people will have the first-gen iPhone, or the iPhone 3G, but tons of people will have iPhone17 or something.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

I assume your question really means, "what future Apple device will take over for the iPhone?"...right? The only reason click-wheel iPods are scarce is because everyone has an iPod Touch or iPhone.

6. spades1412 macrumors 6502

LOL......

All I see when working out at the gym or running is click wheel ipods.
    Apple sold 9.4 million iPods last quarter alone. I'm sure those weren't all Touches.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It'll evolve, just like the iPod did. Do you think the iPhone came out of thin air? No. It was a melding of two technologies: iPods and cell phones, with some touch screen and web browser stuff added in. Don't want a cell phone? get an iPod touch.

And for the record, people are still buying iPods, even the traditional ones. They're just not buying as many of them, because some find iPod Touches, iPads and iPhones more appealing.

I don't see an end to the iPhone. It'll just evolve into something else, when the technology and opportunity permits.

8. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't see them dying for a very, very long time. I think eventually iPhones will converge with the Mac line.

10. thep33t macrumors regular

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The iPhone is the new iPod. It'll evolve in some way, as did the iPod.

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Exactly. I always use my older click-wheel iPod. It's more durable in case I drop it since I'll always go out jogging. An iPhone on the other hand wouldn't stand a chance.

13. Polo5 macrumors regular

Totally agree

14. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

It will end in 2012 when increased solar activity renders all mobiles useless as phones and people are stuck with a device that has a ton of solid apps and a kick-ass screen, but can't make a call.

But I doubt that'll actually happen.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I still have a 5th gen iPod that I bought when they first came out- what was that 5 or 6 years ago? It still works like a charm, I leave it hooked up to my car stereo unless I want to add more music to it.

I doubt the iPhone will "die" unless something very catastrophic happens to apple in general- which is unlikely. They will always make money here/loose money there, but they are a giant and I doubt anything will be taking them down any time soon. The Tech giants have remained relatively unchanged for a long time and the market is still dominated by the same few companies.

I think an interesting thing to ponder is what comes after the touch screen? iPhone was the first device to implement touch and multi-touch well (in my opinion). How long do you think the touch interface will be around? I'd guess a long time- but it will be interesting to see what people come up with in the future. The mouse has been around for what- 25 or so years?

16. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I see it (and other cellphone) ending when materials for all technologies become scarce in the world.

17. MacInTheHat macrumors newbie

Hasn't this already happened? :p

18. spacemanspifff macrumors 6502

spacemanspifff

Fin

It will sail off into the sunset and we will all look on with a tear in our eyes.

or what they all said above about evolving and *****!

19. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Telepathy will replace the iPhone by adding proprioception, taste and perpetual organisms to the images, sound, and touch (vibration) that are already available. Either that or a neutron bomb.;)

20. Aaron J macrumors newbie

I still use the old tiny shuffle for the gym, it is easier to just reach down and click the physical button to skip a song or volume control. I use Shure earbuds and dont have the in-line controls on my earbuds. Plus when I am on my harley it is easier to feel the shuffles buttons thru my gloves then i would imagine a smaller in-line control.
    Still use my iPod classic too in my car, I have a touch, got it as a gift and dont use it for anything.

21. anitrajw macrumors regular

Very little truth to this, I see more people with a Nano and classics than I do with iTouches.

22. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

It will evolve into a bluetooth-sized device that rides in your ear and is totally voice activated, instantly synchronized to any other Apple device you happen to own. A phone with a screen that requires input will become the 'legacy' model. Instead, every Apple device you have near you can work with the iVoice or whatever they call it.

Tactile input systems will become passe. Read Apple's inventions...you'll see where they are headed.

23. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

:D This was funny!'

I think the phone will evolve real soon into something that it will be completely voice control and be as small an bluetooth headset.

24. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

In the end Steve will become the protector of the island and we'll find out he was dead all along

25. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Check me down for a click wheel purchase this year. Orange Nano.

I for one can't see a reason to purchase an ipod touch when I have an iPhone 4?