How will you be buying the iphone x?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you be buying the iphone x?

1. Buying outright

74 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. going on contract

16 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. buying through the apple upgrade program

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Will you be going on contract, buying sim only or going through the apple upgrade program?

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Given the 2018 iPhone will probably be a far better and refined product, annual upgrades will be smart.

iPhone X is iPhone experiment. Expect quirks like every time applies tries something new. The "S" models are normally much better due to the bugs being worked out.

3. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Call me unAmerican, I buy everything with straight up cash these days, except for a house.

4. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

my options is order with EE or through the apple upgrade program.

5. Nozuka macrumors 68020

can't agree with that. my iphone 4 and 5 were both great. never had any problems.
    skipped the 6 though and went with 7.

on topic: always buying outright

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

7. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

I want to buy it on there iPhone upgrade program, never been on this yet, I'm in UK.

This way next year I'd feel happier upgrading as think a lot of things may change.

However with the inevitable scrabble for the X on, I'm thinking as I'd prefer it sooner rather than later for the upgrade next year, to buy outright as I think it may take (like minutes!!) to go through the booking of the IUP on pre-order time....

8. Jinjin macrumors 68030

Unless I can secure an X for the launch day (+/- 7 days) I’ll be buying outright. I like the idea of not having to outlay the full RRP seeing I’m an annual upgrader but if I can’t get my hands on the X for a few months I don’t want to be tied in to having to wait 11 payments until I can get the 2018 phone.

9. comptr macrumors 68000

I will buy the X via Verizon Device Payments.

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

11. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

AT&T Next Every Year. I will lease the X for $500 for one year of use.

12. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Vehicles too? Sometimes they can cost as much as a house.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Marked "buying outright" but put a big asterisk buy that. I really want the GSM/CDMA, not a GSM-only model, especially for the $1200. Since there is no sim-free model at launch, odds of finding a VZW model in-store long, highly likely I will skip this phone unless Joanna Stern says it's a must have. The more I consider the X the more I'm not really hot and heavy to have it right now. If I have to wait until Feb or March then I might as well just wait until next Sep. That is where Joanna Stern takes over to convince me otherwise.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    I pay cash for my cars. I'm not sure I'd want to own a house that only cost $55K. It's either in the boonies, a dying city with no tax base, or a war zone.

14. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Even though I've gone with the "s" series most of the time and with no good reason other than it was the end of my 2 year contract . . . (nice run on sentence) I agree with you. Notice that there is no 7s. I imagine that this might be the end of the "s" series every other year.

15. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

16. Damon2 macrumors regular

Even though I'm not sure Im getting one, but if I was too I've decided outright.

Did the payment plan non aup last year for my 7, think I'd rather take the full hit now rather than take out the financing route again this time around.

17. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

Amen.

18. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

19. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

lol basically. That's my tactic.

20. bopajuice, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

C'mon. All you "Buy it outright" people may be stretching it. Apple products are a status thing. Most people who pay attention to status or luxury items cannot afford them.

BTW, I bought my 8 Plus today with ATT Next. No financing charge. I'd rather spend the money I save on a fake Rolex and a pair of $500 Ferragamo shoes I paid $50 for at an outlet store.

21. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

How so?

22. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

https://www.cnet.com/news/almost-half-of-smartphones-sold-in-us-linked-to-installment-plans/

"51 percent of iPhone sales were made through installment or off-contract plans, 37 percent via traditional contracts and 12 percent with prepaid plans."

And that was two years ago, before we reached the $1000 threshold for a phone. I seriously doubt the 1% of people who buy their phones outright, all visit this forum at the same time and post to the same thread. Call me skeptical.

If you are one of the few that pays cash for your phone, you have my admiration and sincere apologies. Best wishes on your many successes.

23. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

I see, I see. I have a bit of a plan going with myself. Phone contracts (here at least) last two years, so every two years I get them through my contract - but on the off-year, I buy it outright, and use the sale of the contract phone to pay for it. It's a bit of a cycle. Just so happens that this year is the off-year for me (and the most expensive iPhone, go figure) so I'll be using my 7+ to pay for (some of...) the X.

24. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

25. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I guess...if I'm ordering it, I'll buy it outright, but if I don't like it I'll ask for refund outright.
    Kind of like going through those mobile car wash place next to the gas station....in and out.