How will you handle YOUR move from iPad Mk1 to iPad Mk2 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Nov 20, 2010.

  1. Piggie macrumors 604

    Piggie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    #1
    If we just assume for the moment, you will probably be getting an iPad Mk2 as you want more Ram perhaps a camera or two and some other yet unknown improvements.

    What are your plans right now?

    1: Just wait till the new one comes out and in a relaxed way order one. Then once it's arrived, sync and do the changeover, then sell your current one for whatever you can get?

    2: The same as "1" above, but pass your current model onto another member of the family?

    3: As soon as an official launch date is announced, make your pre-order then sell your current one to minimise the financial loss as there will still be some people around who don't yet know about the new one coming out?

    4: As soon as we start hearing strong rumours and see sneaked out photo's from a plant in China of the new body design, sell then and wait another month or two without one.


    I may go with option "2" myself. as I can see a few $100 being knocked off it's value.

    I can see the value of the current model dropping quite a lot seeing as there are now stories about some stores selling possibly refurbished ones at $100 less with warranty, so already that knocks the 2nd hand market value right done, plus if the new ones are launching at the same price as the current ones, that will put people off an old model also.

    We could have literally millions coming onto the 2nd hand market when the new model launches.
     
  2. petvas macrumors 601

    petvas

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    Location:
    Mannheim, Germany
    #2
    None of the above. I will preorder as soon as the ipad 2 is available and sell my first iPad after I get the new one.
     
  3. JimTDI macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
  4. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

    Piggie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    #4
    Yeah, so No.1 in my possible options above. :)
     
  5. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    #5
    I'll likely wait until its jailbroken reliably. And then sell off/give away my current iPad.

    Or use it for the guest device, or whatever.
     
  6. petvas macrumors 601

    petvas

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    Location:
    Mannheim, Germany
    #6
    No1 is buy the new ipad not immediately but after release. I said that I was going to preorder it and then sell my old iPad. I don't see how that makes it the same.
     
  7. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

    HelveticaNeue

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2010
    #7
    I already have a buyer. We have agreed on a price and as soon as I have the new one in my hands the transaction will be done.

    I plan ahead.
     
  8. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

    Piggie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    #8
    I guess the price is either very low or they don't have a clue about this kind of stuff? :D
     
  9. petvas macrumors 601

    petvas

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    Location:
    Mannheim, Germany
    #9
    :)
    I guess there are people who don't really care about having the latest and greatest.
     
  10. 3goldens macrumors 68000

    3goldens

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #10
    I will pre order and keep my current as a backup.
     
  11. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

    HelveticaNeue

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2010
    #11
    No it's a fair price. They just want an iPad but would like to save some money off the retail price, and don't care if it has a camera or extra RAM. They know me and know how well I care for my Apple products. Plus they don't have to risk getting a defective unit from some sketchy guy off Kijiji.
     
  12. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

    Piggie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    #12
    What I meant was, it might be a fair price now, but it might not be a fair price then :D
     
  13. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2008
    Location:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    #13
    I'm actually the same way. I so far have sold my iPhone 3GS, MacBook and even Apple in ear headphones to the same person, and she is also interested in my iPad when I plan on selling it. So I think I'm pretty set, she's my "sell my old apple stuff to" person. :D
     
  14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #14
    i'm currently thinking about option 4. if the rumors are no clear then i would fall back to number 3. although i would like to sell only through craigslist because ebay is too much hassle and scam.
     
  15. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

    Piggie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    #15
    Perhaps when it's clear that there COULD be many thousands of people (if not a million or more) with two iPads in the family, mid next year.

    We might see a new line of new multiplayer games come out so you can play against each other on your own ipads across the room.

    I guess there are some games now like this, but there would be more reason to develop games with this option perhaps next year.
     
  16. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

    Amazing Iceman

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2008
    Location:
    Florida, U.S.A.
    #16
    For me, depending on the circumstances, I may go 1 or 2.
     
  17. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

    Don Kosak

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Location:
    Hilo, Hawaii
    #17
    Hey Piggie,

    I'm probably going with option 2 also. The iPad gets a lot of use in my house, so I'll let my wife and son battle over version 1.

    My wife might try to grab the version 2 iPad for herself, but I plan on pulling out the "But I ~need~ the latest model to do development on" card. Heh heh.
     
  18. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2010
    #18
    My sister claimed mine lol, so no worries here, I'll order a new one when it comes out and my sister is going to buy my old one at current eBay price, (although of course I'm going to knock a bit off that ;))
     
  19. bri1212 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    #19
    None of the above

    I will probably wait until iPad generation 3. I love my iPad,
    And I real can't imagine generation 2 being so "magical" that I will need to update, before then. I may be wrong, but that is what I think.
     
  20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #20
    Kind of depends on what's on v2, don't it? Unless v2 has some feature that I absolutely cannot live without, I'll stick with my g1 until it breaks out of warranty or can't do what I need it to do.

    IF 3g comes standard, and I could use facetime to communicate with my mother in a home 83 miles away using 3g, then possibly. Otherwise, spending that kind of cash for a couple of nifty or meh-ish new features? No way.
     
  21. Sterne macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
    #21
    That's my plan.
     
  22. imacken macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2010
    #22
    I think I'll wait for gen 2. Oh no, by then there will be rumours about Gen 3, so I guess I'll wait till Gen 3 comes out. Ooops, no, of course by then Gen 4 will be rumoured.....
    I guess maybe I'll never buy technology again, as I'll always have to wait for the next gen.
    Hmmm.... back to my Gen 1 and all the great things it does!
     
  23. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

    AppleGoddess

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #23
    I sold my iPad 32G for 510.00, bought the 11.6 inch MBA for 750.00(thanks Apple) now really missing my iPad so was given 250.00 in Best buy RZ points and waiting for iPad 2, sell my MBA for 750.00 or more, add 250.00 to my Best buy RZ and I have a 1/2 price iPad and 500.00+ in my pocket :)

    The Hard part is waiting.
     
  24. MrWillie macrumors 65816

    MrWillie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Location:
    Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
    #24
    Keep both the iPad and the Air.

    I plan on getting a new one (i would say if it's worth it, but the wife is going to want one), then running a high speed drill bit through the damn camera and epoxying over the hole.
     
  25. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

    AppleGoddess

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #25
    I am not sure i really will use both.I always used my ipad and ketting a cheap netbook might make more sense just to sync might be the ticket for my needs.
     

Share This Page