Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Hi all,

Just wondered if I could get a quick answer about how I can go from my old MacBook to a new one, preferably just using time machine and my external HD.

I've already backed up my old one via time machine onto my external HD, so what is the easiest way to get it all on my new MB?

Also, how can I de-activate my single use of iWork '08 so I can install it on my new MB? (Assuming this is possible.)

Thanks!

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
boot up the new macbook, open migration assistant in Applications --> Utilities folder and select "From Time Machine Backup or Other Disk" and then select the data/applications/settings/etc that you want to transfer.

jmann

macrumors 604
I just recently did this. Don't worry about deactivating anything. Any new computer will come with iLife '09. All you should do is plug your external into the new computer, and restore to the backup through time machine, or use Migration Assistant when you initially set up the computer.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
When you first startup a new Mac, it will run the Migration Assistant. From their, you can migrate all your settings, data & applications either directly from your old machine (Firewire Target Disk Mode) or by using your Time Machine backup.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Awesome guys, thanks for the replies. So new machines come with iLife '09 or iWork '09?

I'm coming from a late 2008 Whitebook, but the brand new 2.13 Whitebooks are so superior to mine I just have to get it (Because for $55 I'm getting: .03 in processor, 800Mhz over 667Mhz, the nVidia GFX9400M which is what I'm really doing the whole thing for anyways), 40GB more internal HD, and a sweet HP wireless all-in-one printer.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Eh, mostly because I need the computer during the next week, and the refurb would have to come from apple.com and would be about a week for it to get to me. Also because it'd be $150 more, so a total of $205 instead of $55. And my $60 in cases would not fit the unibody... I only plan on using it until I graduate (2 years left), so I should be fine with the white one.

What about un-installing my iWork '08 so I can re-install on the new one?

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Thanks! You've been a big help.

I should be typing this on my new MacBook tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how my program re-installing goes. (iWork '08, Adobe Photoshop CS4- Extended, and Vista are the only ones I'm doing it with.)

jmann

macrumors 604
Thanks! You've been a big help.

I should be typing this on my new MacBook tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how my program re-installing goes. (iWork '08, Adobe Photoshop CS4- Extended, and Vista are the only ones I'm doing it with.)

You're welcome. All of them should be automatically reinstalled when you restore with time machine. You have nothing to worry about, but good luck regardless. :)

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Even my Vista!?! The time machine only backed up 70GB (Out of 120GB) and my Vista partition is about 35GB, so I didn't think it backed it up.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Even my Vista!?! The time machine only backed up 70GB (Out of 120GB) and my Vista partition is about 35GB, so I didn't think it backed it up.

Bootcamp isn't backed up with Time Machine. To move it to a new machine, I suggest "WinClone". Use it to create an image file backup of your Bootcamp partition. After restoring your OS-X volume to a single partition on the new drive, use BootCamp Assistant to create your new BC partition. Then, use WinClone to restore from the image backup. You should be able to just boot up in Vista and all will be well (as well as it could be in Vista ;) sorry, couldn't help myself ;) )

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Alright, update:

Got my new Macbook (Love it) and everything was transfered really easily (Literally just a mirror of my Mac OSX desktop, including single use programs working without uninstalling the other systems). Vista is a total pain, but that is because I lost my disc, and I'm trying to do it without a valid install disk.

Thanks for your help.

For $85 I got:

A wireless printer
nVidia GFX 9400M
.03 in processor
40GB Hard drive space
iLife '09
8x Superdrive
Higher bus speed on the RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.