How would i upgrade from 3G to 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iMacBoy, Oct 2, 2010.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have had a 3G for about 2 years now on contract and it has run out and i can end it at any time, how would i get the 4G and continue my contract with it.

How much will this cost?

Thanks.

2. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Visit an Apple Store; they can help you. You will love the difference between the iP3 and the iP4.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Go to the AT&T/Apple store, tell them you want an iPhone 4, pay $199/$299 to buy the iPhone and sign to 'renew' your contract for another two years. :)

4. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

So have to pay for the new phone and everything, that's ****, should be given the phone cheaper and be able to keep out contract.

5. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

You are given the phone cheaper, and why should you be able to stay out of contract when paying the subsidized price? This is how every carrier does it. If you're worried about not renewing your contract then you can pay $700+ for one OR you pay $200/$300 for a brand new 16/32GB phone with a 2 year renewal of your contract.

6. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Stupid prices.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Most smartphones are several hundred dollars without a contract.

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Really? You weren't given a free 3g were you, what makes you think that you should be given a free iPhone 4?

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Translation: I can't afford it.

10. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

No i wasn't given a free 3G and that's not what im saying, what i'm saying is, the prices shouldn't be so high for people that all ready have a 3G, they should be able to trade in the 3G and get the 4 at a reasonable price.

And for the other guy above, not all people can afford it.

11. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Well that's how it's been for years. People that had the original iPhone didn't get a special discount on the 3G. If you had the 3G there was no special discount for the 3GS and so on. However, although it doesn't apply to you, Apple did work with AT&T to reduce the length of time you needed to be in a contract to receive the subsidized price from 2 years to about 1 year for the iPhone 4 to help out early 3GS buyers so there was technically a sort of special discount for the iPhone 4.

When it comes down to it, that's just the way it's been for 3 years so there's no use in complaining now.

12. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Trade in your 3G? Wow...what would you think your 3G is worth? I bought the first iPhone, then upgraded to the 3G, then 3GS, then the 4. By that standard, At&t should be cooking my breakfast every morning. Who the hell do you think you are? Some deserving customer....there's a sucker born every minute.

13. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Nobody needs your 2+year old 3g, apple works to make phones in order to make a profit, not to some exclusive version of UNICEF.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iPhones are always $599/$699 without contract. You got your 3G for $199/$299 with a contract. Over the 2 years you have had your contract, you have slowly paid off the iPhone 3G.

That is the same process you need to do for the iPhone 4. You can sell your 3G on Ebay and should be able to get $100-200 minimum from it.

That is how life is, buddy.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:) yeah just like a used car dealership, trade it in.
    If you can't afford it don't buy it that's all.
    You can't get it cheap and contract free.
    You never bought a cellphone before? That's how all cellphones and wireless providers work for many many years now.

16. iamartimus macrumors 6502

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Technically speaking, iPhone 4 = 4th Generation = 4G.

18. iamartimus macrumors 6502

True that! Just making sure that iMacBoy knows that so he doesn't have this great disappointment when his iPhone 4G has 3G speed.

19. randy13boston macrumors newbie

Do yourself a favor and go to Radio Shack. I brought my 2+ year old iPhone 3G there last week with my charger/sync cable and they gave me $123.39 on the spot in the form of a gift card. I used the gift card right away to grab a 32 gig iPhone 4 with a silicone case for $214 dollars. Couldn't have been happier walking out of that store. The clerk with OCD even put on a screen protector for me. Worth checking out... My phone was in great condition. A co-worker did the same last week but his phone had a gouge on the back cover and they gave him $84. Guess they're still worth something to somebody...