Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi,

So I am attending a free outdoor orchestra concert show this evening from 6pm-9pm in a little college out here in the middle of nowhere in Virginia. It states the event is sold out with 150 ppl attending and I’m one of them.

I called ahead and we’re allowed to bring our own alcohol. I’m sure couples will bring wine along with their picnic blankets but I’m attending solo as I’m out here for the month for work.

I don’t want to bring a whole bottle of whiskey so am wondering how to best approach this. I don’t have to hide the alcohol and be sneaky but I do definitely want to get a good buzz going during the few hours I’m there.

Maybe a thermal flask mug? You know, the ones ppl put coffee in before they off to work?

I don’t really drink much which is why I ask.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I think the answer is obvious...
1PCS-Beer-Can-Holder-Helmet-Drinking-Helmet-Drinking-Hat-3Colors-Freeshipping.jpg_640x640.jpg

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Hopefully, you'll have transportation available other than driving. You don't want to get a DUI in Virginia, or for that matter, anywhere else. ;)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Make sure the venue allows hard liquor. For example, many Parks Departments will issue beer or wine permits, but not allow hard liquor, even in mixed drinks (margaritas is the example I'm thinking of).

If hard liquor is allowed, a hip flask is the obvious equipment option.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
What are the limits on questions you’re allowed to ask here as established by your employer?

Alcohol is all good. Though I hardly drink.

Marijuana is what they have an issue with.
[doublepost=1561748731][/doublepost]
I think the answer is obvious...
1PCS-Beer-Can-Holder-Helmet-Drinking-Helmet-Drinking-Hat-3Colors-Freeshipping.jpg_640x640.jpg

This gave me a great laugh.
[doublepost=1561748766][/doublepost]
Just go all out. Buy the biggest bottle of Jack Daniels that you can and drink it straight from the bottle.

I found a hug sealable mug I can make a mix drink in and then take a glass as well.
[doublepost=1561748831][/doublepost]
If you drink as much Jack Daniels at this concert as I do coffee in my Yeti big gulp mug you will get more than a buzz, you will be in a coma
Why make this complicated? People have been using hip flasks of all sizes for this for decades, maybe even centuries

Found a sealable mug that holds 3 double drinks. Just need a glass or cup.
[doublepost=1561748880][/doublepost]
Hopefully, you'll have transportation available other than driving. You don't want to get a DUI in Virginia, or for that matter, anywhere else. ;)

Totally.

Make sure the venue allows hard liquor. For example, many Parks Departments will issue beer or wine permits, but not allow hard liquor, even in mixed drinks (margaritas is the example I'm thinking of).

If hard liquor is allowed, a hip flask is the obvious equipment option.

I called the university where it’s at and alcohol is allowed in. Just not sure if glass is or isn’t.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I called the university where it’s at and alcohol is allowed in. Just not sure if glass is or isn’t.
Then definitely bring it in a plastic sippy cup. I think Hello Kitty or Sponge Bob would be the most appropriate characters to display on the cup. It's all part of the camouflage.

EDIT: I also have to commend you on your choice of Tags. Genius!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi,

So I am attending a free outdoor orchestra concert show this evening from 6pm-9pm in a little college out here in the middle of nowhere in Virginia. It states the event is sold out with 150 ppl attending and I’m one of them.

I called ahead and we’re allowed to bring our own alcohol. I’m sure couples will bring wine along with their picnic blankets but I’m attending solo as I’m out here for the month for work.

I don’t want to bring a whole bottle of whiskey so am wondering how to best approach this. I don’t have to hide the alcohol and be sneaky but I do definitely want to get a good buzz going during the few hours I’m there.

Maybe a thermal flask mug? You know, the ones ppl put coffee in before they off to work?

I don’t really drink much which is why I ask.
A pint instead? Be sure to keep it in a brown paper bag to fool everyone. ;)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
While I too would just use hip flask. As you want to keep it on the down low. I'd get a dark whiskey. Canada club 12 year is decent without breaking the bank. Then fill an empty and washed 16 to 20oz bottle of Coke.

As this is a concert with accompanied facilities. I'd drink it straight to minimize restroom breaks.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I find Pendleton to be an excellent whiskey. Some consider it whiskey for cowboys, but I find it to be smooth when taking shots. Just take a hip flask. Waking around with a bottle in a paper bag would look quite trashy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
People where I live just drinks cans and take wine etc to events like this. Not really put much thought into it as it’s not a taboo social activity.

Agreed.

It s not usually an issue This Side of The Pond.

Actually, I've had wine or beer at such events on occasion; never spirits, though.

But, for spirits, I'd reiterate my recommendation of a hip flask.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Agreed.

It s not usually an issue This Side of The Pond.

Actually, I've had wine or beer at such events on occasion; never spirits, though.

But, for spirits, I'd reiterate my recommendation of a hip flask.
The only spirits I really drink, especially in the summer outside is gin and tonic. Difficult though as it’s not worth drinking without ice and lemon lol. Craft beers and chilled rose wine at events is my bag.

During the summer we have jazz bands in our local park and people are drinking everywhere. Never any trouble though which is good.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The only spirits I really drink, especially in the summer outside is gin and tonic. Difficult though as it’s not worth drinking without ice and lemon lol. Craft beers and chilled rose wine at events is my bag.

During the summer we have jazz bands in our local park and people are drinking everywhere. Never any trouble though which is good.

In general, for me, in such settings, my preference is for craft beers, and good white wine, although recently, I have come to appreciate a good rosé.

No spirits, but I rarely drink them anyway.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.