How would you revamp Ebay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gregdrummeraz, Aug 27, 2008.

1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I would first drop insertion prices. it is expensive, we all know. I would secondly require EVERYONE to create and verify a Paypal account, completely different thing to discuss.

What do you guys think? :eek:

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Require approval of every auction by ebay staff before the auction is listed.

Yes, it would be time consuming and expensive, but currently ebay is practically unusable due to the ridiculously high levels of scams and fraudulent sales, and this would be the only way to mitigate the problem.

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Agree with Eric. Plus I would kill the flash interface (flash is evil). Plus I would do something about people overcharging for items (iPHones going for $700+), also I would delete auctions where people say things about old computers like "this isn't an old piece of junk, it can do everything a brand new computer can" I read that about a G3 Pismo once.

Don

4. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree a little. I dont like the flash junk. But you pay the price you choose. I do agree about describing old computers as like it where as like a new macbook or something like that.

5. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think that is necessary but if they make EVERYONE require to have a Verified Paypal.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

7. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I think Ebay is at a point that something would need to replace it in order for it to be discontinued. If Amazon would be selling more non-book items, I think they would be "it".

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Sometimes I would agree with this statement. 99% of eBay is junk and scams, but sometimes you find a good deal. More strict filtering on what can be posted on eBay needs to be implemented.

Don

9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It's an auction site. The entire point of an auction is to get the price as high as possible.

--Eric

10. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That is gouging. If gas stations and grocery stores aren't allowed to charge whatever they want neither should people using auction sites. Items should be sold at a REASONABLE price.

Don

11. bartelby macrumors Core

What don't you understand about auction sites?

Items sell at whatever price people are willing to pay.

12. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree on that, I was not Shunning price control completely. The people, however, that usually jack prices up so high are fake anyway, non paying bidders.

13. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree you bid a price you are willing to pay not what you are obligated into.

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I understand, but who is going to pay $700 for a phone when you can get it for $200? All it does is waste server space, and as a result increase listing fees.

Don

15. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

:confused: Look up "auction" in the dictionary. An auction site is neither a gas station nor a grocery store.

--Eric

16. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

They wanna unlock and use on Tmobile...... IDK.

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

The phone costs $200, you then pay a $175 termination fee and the phone is your s to unlock.

Total cost is $375, that's much cheaper then $700

Don

18. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you do it? can you tell me how to do this process?

19. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You buy the phone from AT&T, then you cancel the contract after 30 days.

Don

20. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

So then what would be the total cost of an 8GB iPhone? can you break it down?

21. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That was the cost of a 8GB iPhone, and I really don't feel like helping you with your "business".

Don

22. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Link?

Yea, I dont think thats an accurate statement. Id argue 95% of ebay is NOT scams.

23. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

With Ebay pushing Paypal down your throat and soon not accepting most other payments, I think they need to STOP double dipping by charging both ebay closing fees AND paypal receiving fees. If you want to practically force me to use PayPal, then consolidate the fees somehow.

I am really tired of paying to list, then paying the closing fee, then paying another fee to receive the money. Ebay and Paypal are the same company now (more or less), so why do I have to pay so many fees for the same thing?!?!

24. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Absolutely! I quit using Paypal because of their fees being so outrageous on top of the ebay ones. If it becomes required then bye bye ebay for me.

25. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Um, you dont have to use paypal to pay unless the buyer specifically ONLY accepts PP (which few do, unless they do large volume, and even then, not always)

eBay BOUGHT paypal years ago, knowing it would work in their profitable favor. And it does make the buying experience ALOT easier and smoother, you cant argue that.

Anyone, who is pissed like you about the fee doubling, doesnt use PP and accept money orders OR credit cards through another merchant account.

You dont HAVE to sell on eBay. You dont HAVE to accept PP. You dont HAVE to pay fees then.

The business model of eBay is incredibly efficient, while sometimes I think it is a bit $$$, it works. Pay to list, pay for the sale. THATS ALL you are obligated to pay when using eBay. Its YOU who are using PP and incurring fees.

AND, as Im sure you know (unless things have changed radically) that you dont pay ANY fees when accepting PP payments, so long as you arent a "premier/business" member. Being a premier member allows people to pay with CC vs just a bank account. And honestly, I havent run into ANYONE who only uses a CC to pay with paypal. So, if you became a premier member to accept CC and all the bonuses that comes with, you agreed to now start paying fees on ALL payments to you.