Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconer.

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
I have one of the new iPads and it definitely has a different tint/hue to it than my friend's iPad 2. Here are some things I noticed:

- Looking at the home screen, the "Messages" icon on the iPad 2 is more solid green; it's more greenish-yellow on the new iPad.
- Looking at the home screen, the "Music" icon on the iPad 2 is more of a deeper orange-red; it's more yellow-orange on the new iPad.
- Bring up the "Notes" app and you'll see a huge difference. The background is more of an orangeish-yellow on the iPad 2; more of a greenish-yellow on the new iPad.
- Also look at the "iBooks" app. The shelf background is more of a reddish wood color on the iPad 2; more of a greenish wood color on the new iPad.

I chalked this up to differences in the color temperature/color balance of the iPad 2 vs. new iPad. I think this is to be expected, right?

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Wow! That bad? I knew there was a big difference in tint when comparing both, but I wouldn't think that BOTH of them had a tint issue. xD

At the end of the day are you happy with the screen? It's very easy to obsess about these things and keep looking, checking, double checking and seeing faults. However if you aren't happy then return it and swap it out.....but be warned, it's a slippery slope and the next minute you'll be posting here that you're on your tenth iPad and you still haven't found "...the perfect one".

My advice, enjoy your iPad.

falconer.

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
While I know individual new iPad units have differences in screen quality, tint/hue, and brightness (I've seen the proof in several forum posts here and elsewhere), I don't buy the premise that there are "perfect" screens.

When people use the word "perfect", what they're saying is, "I got an iPad and its screen looks acceptable to me." That so-called perfect screen could be handed over to a more discerning/particular person who could find something wrong with it.

Given the variance and array of minor differences unit to unit, I tend to agree with spcdust that you're not going to find the elusive "perfect" screen, because it doesn't exist. The test is simply whether or not the owner is satisfied.

I do think it's a fact that the new iPad in general has a different color temperature than iPad 1 and 2.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You shouldn't see purple. Your screen is probably one of the pink tinted ones.

Not see purple it's just a different shade of blue (warm blue) for internet links only while surfing in Safari. Other than that whites are definitely white, blues are blue etc. :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Hey Apple.

It's taken you 3 generations of iPad so far, and you STILL have not done it.

Put in colour control settings/sliders and gamma etc in the iPad "advanced settings"

Computers have had these settings for years to put right mass produced screens.

Just do this and you won't have any more problems.

Will they listen? No of course not.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Just do this and you won't have any more problems.

It won't help the uneven screens nearly as much. I have a Macbook Pro with a yellow blob, and the only way to (almost) eliminate it is with an extremely blue color temperature, which is not to my taste.

alehen

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
My new iPad is yellow and has several stuck pixels. I took it back to the store and there was no more in stock, so the guy told me I have to wait a week or so. =/

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I wonder how many threads we can have on the exact same subject. Does anyone not think to search and post in one of the 100's of existing threads on this subject rather than starting a new one?

slimjim.dj

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
England
I wonder how many threads we can have on the exact same subject. Does anyone not think to search and post in one of the 100's of existing threads on this subject rather than starting a new one?

But new threads bring new info, and if there were no new threads this place would be dull!!

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Wow! That bad? I knew there was a big difference in tint when comparing both, but I wouldn't think that BOTH of them had a tint issue. xD

^ YES, all of those I noticed!

Just to show you what mine looks like next to a sheet of white paper. Max brightness, pure white image. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337342183.561146.jpg

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Looks like your sheet of paper has some uneven tint. I would return it.:D

And what about that horrific white streak (blob) running diagonally across the paper. I have been using paper all of my life, but I guess my iPad will have to replace that now!

hoanganh

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2011
yellowish or blueish screen is normal, as an Apple Store staff confirmed with me. And for my local apple store, they say i can change if i do not satisfy with the screen.
however, personally, the yellowish screen looks more friendly with eyes, i think :)

Enlightenment1

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012

Why? Scared to see how why spread these screen problems really are?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
OK I just received my refurbed iPad 2 and compared it to the iPad 3. Honestly there's little to NO difference, both my screens (iPad 2 and Retina) look identical in color, tint and brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.