Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isashach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I keep seeing iDevices in the hands of little kids all the time. How old do you think kids have to be before they should be allowed to get their own iDevice? I'd say about 12, that seems fair for an iPod.

I personally got my first phone when I was 13, however that does seem a bit early to me now...

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
iPad = good for 5 & 6 years olds
iPhone = when they grow up and get a job to pay for it themselves

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
My son is in kindergarten and the school is teaching the children to use computers. He has his own iPad.
I think 13 is a tad bit late in these digital times.

An iphone on the other hand is a different area. I don't think my son is getting one at 13.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Is there a distinction between when they should be allowed to have their own and when they should be allowed to use one? I could see iDevices and the numerous educational apps being extremely beneficial for even toddlers. But, whether or not it's prudent to give them one all to their own is a different story. The issue not being one of whether they can care for the product, but whether or not they use the iDevice too much to the detriment of time spent interacting with other things in the world.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

My son is 4 and he has his own iPod touch. He has learned responsibility with it as well as many educational aspects. He can also FaceTime out of town relatives. I feel that nowadays technology needs to be present before you're left behind.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
I'm 18 and never had an iPad, an iPod touch, or an iPhone. I tried each of them, but never had one, then when I hear kids that have iPads and iPod touches and 14 year old's having iPhones, I felt like my family was poor or something. :p

Back in my days we had toys, closest thing I'd get to an electronic device was a CD Player.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think any age is ok to let them use one, probably 13 or so would be the youngest I'd think of getting a kid an iPod. For an iPhone, most kids don't need a phone until they are able to drive, so unless there is a good reason for them to have one earlier I wouldn't get one before that.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
My nephew is 9 and and has an iPhone 4S. But they kid is smart, though. I told him that if he's going to text, that he better not type stuff like, "Wh@t ^, wyd?" He also has an iPad 1. I got to start them early with the Apple products, lol.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

My son is 4 and he has his own iPod touch. He has learned responsibility with it as well as many educational aspects. He can also FaceTime out of town relatives. I feel that nowadays technology needs to be present before you're left behind.

I agree, the earlier kids are exposed to tech the faster they will learn.
My son got an ipod touch when he was 3. He knows how the iOS works and even does facetime, plays games, goes back to the homescreen to select different games, adjust the volume if its too loud when his baby sister is sleeping:D
Gotta love it, wish I had something as advanced when I was 3.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I keep seeing iDevices in the hands of little kids all the time. How old do you think kids have to be before they should be allowed to get their own iDevice? I'd say about 12, that seems fair for an iPod.

I personally got my first phone when I was 13, however that does seem a bit early to me now...

Who are any of us to say what age is to young? How about leaving that up to the parents and move on with our lives.

Coasterfanryan

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2010
Pittsburgh Pa
Too young? Depends on the child.
I didn't get my first iPod until was 13 and I just got my iPhone and I'm 19. I was always told that If I could pay for it, I could get it. So I always working hard and saved up so I could have nice things. Just my take.

isashach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
4 years old and he has an iPod Touch? That is like considerably too young in my opinion.

When I was asking the question, I mostly meant ownership, because I believe that educational apps are great. They work very wel as 'shutup-erers' as well. Unfortunately, some people overdo it.

The thing is, my little brother is turning 8 soon, and he is begging my dad to give his old iPhone as a present. I strongly disagree with this, and seeing how far I have to go to kid proof electronics because of him (I mean, who opens up a digital photo frame and desolders the buttons so that you could only turn it on or off), I really don't want to spend hours putting it into complete lockdown. Even then, he would still overuse it.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
My nephew is 3 and got an iPod touch for Christmas from his other Grandma. He's been using my iPhone and iPad under my supervision for more than a year. He likes to play Fruit Ninja and what he calls "the froggy game" (Cut the Rope) as well as some air hockey.

He figured out pinch to zoom all by himself, but I was surprised one day while he flipped though photos on my camera roll. He recognized the arrow on one as he passed it and went back because he knew that was a video and wanted to play it. He also enjoys flipping between albumn covers and playing the songs, he's particularly fond of Don't Stop Believing.

He's a very sharp little fellow with a memory that I am both astounded by and jealous of at the same time. I'm not sure if the iDevices are helping or whether he figures them out because he's just that smart.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
4 years old and he has an iPod Touch? That is like considerably too young in my opinion.

When I was asking the question, I mostly meant ownership, because I believe that educational apps are great. They work very wel as 'shutup-erers' as well. Unfortunately, some people overdo it.

The thing is, my little brother is turning 8 soon, and he is begging my dad to give his old iPhone as a present. I strongly disagree with this, and seeing how far I have to go to kid proof electronics because of him (I mean, who opens up a digital photo frame and desolders the buttons so that you could only turn it on or off), I really don't want to spend hours putting it into complete lockdown. Even then, he would still overuse it.

I agree, 4 year olds who own iPod Touches is too young, the 4 year old can borrow it from the parents or so.

I feel like 13 should be the youngest for an iPod Touch. For an iPhone, they should get a job first.

Otherwise, they'll be spoiled like those kids who complained about not getting an iPhone on Twitter. :mad:

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
I don't know.... As soon as they can pay for it themselves. That's the right age.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown

8 years old is too young for an iPhone ... at that age they should still be within reach of the family home phone

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
If you give you children electronics - please teach them also how to interact outside a virtual world. Thanks in advance - I may need to interact with them some day.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
If you give you children electronics - please teach them also how to interact outside a virtual world. Thanks in advance - I may need to interact with them some day.

I'm quite certain that any interaction with my nephew will result in him insisting that he's the Hulk and you are the 'Bomination. And then you'll fight, lol.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
I think this is better for a 4 year old:
lens18272443_1312463679LeapPad-Explorer-Tablet.j

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I've had an iPhone since I was 12. (I'm 13, almost 14 now) I did however, pay for the device, and I pay $30 for Verizon's data. If you think your kid can be responsible, and pay for the device (If it's an iPhone, or 3G iPad), then you can get them one. Just slap a screen protector, and an Otterbox on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.