Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I had a bad first and only experience turning on FV towards the middle/end of the beta cycle. I am gun shy to try it again but I know I should have some protection. There was a ton of FV issues throughout the beta as referenced in the release notes. Just wanted to see if it's ready for prime time.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I had a bad first and only experience turning on FV towards the middle/end of the beta cycle. I am gun shy to try it again but I know I should have some protection. There was a ton of FV issues throughout the beta as referenced in the release notes. Just wanted to see if it's ready for prime time.

Works just like it did previously, unfortunately encryption is EXTREMELY slow in comparison to HFS.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Works just like it did previously, unfortunately encryption is EXTREMELY slow in comparison to HFS.

Thanks. That’s was my experience. It stayed at 1% or 1 minute can’t remember for a week. I gave up. Can’t install anything while encrypting. I personally don’t think it would have ever finished. I just wanted to see some progress.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you want to turn on FV and it not take several hours, do so during a fresh drive install of the OS. If not, turn it on and be patient. I had no problems with it and was able to use my computer during the process, although doing that can make the process longer.

If I remember correctly, it took about 2 hours for me (as I turned it on after the install) and I only had 130 GB (give or take) on my 1TB SSD.

Reactions: HenryDJP

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Thanks, I’m not up for a clean install. Everything is running well. I’m still leery of FV Encryption at this point with the newness of APFS. The only time I have ever had to go back and restore a clone was when I tried FV. That was still a pain in the arse.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I had FV on in Sierra, and mine did the APFS conversion during the HS install... having no issues at all.

As I recall, wasn't most of your issue related to your trying to format to APFS encrypted, then clean install after that?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I had FV on in Sierra, and mine did the APFS conversion during the HS install... having no issues at all.

As I recall, wasn't most of your issue related to your trying to format to APFS encrypted, then clean install after that?
Kind of but good memory. High Sierra early beta's gave me an error message throughout the first 5 or 6 releases when trying to convert. I ended up cloning the High Sierra install over to an external drive. I booted to that drive and wiped out my SSD and used DU to convert the SSD, then I cloned it back over. Shortly after I solved this issue and had a nice APFS formatted SSD, I decided to give FV a shot. It got stuck on encrypting for 3 or 4 days and at "one minute remaining". I lost patience and blew it away again and did the same restore I noted above and left it be.

I guess I could turn it on now and cross my fingers?? I guess it's probably an ideal time as I have the latest dev beta installed, so I won't be compromised in not being able to install while encrypting because the dev beta is pretty new (this week).

Reactions: Weaselboy

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Not off to a good start?
FV.png

[doublepost=1506877528][/doublepost]I only have one User (me) and I am the admin? Any clue what is going on?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Is this just a default clean install of the release HS version? You have not mucked about with certificates in Keychain or anything.

(You have the worst luck with computers of almost anybody I ever knew. :D:eek:)
No ****! It's the release version plus the dev beta this week. I have never done a clean install. Upgraded from every OS. I don't use keychain, but I can take a look. I googled the issue I am having, not much out there, of course I am unique in this problem. What about setting up a new User with Admin privileges?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I wonder if that is the issue?
I did find a few googles where the "beta" wouldn't allow the operation or it was turned off. Should have done it while on the final release.

Can I go over what I have with the official release?

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Not off to a good start?
View attachment 722678
[doublepost=1506877528][/doublepost]I only have one User (me) and I am the admin? Any clue what is going on?
Is this on a personal system, or a work issues system with pre configuration profiles, AD, etc?

Since you did some restore and fresh installs and beta testing, try to check if you have a security token?

sudo sysadminctl -secureTokenStatus ACCOUNTNAMEHERE

Remember, you're on a rootless device,

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I did find a few googles where the "beta" wouldn't allow the operation or it was turned off. Should have done it while on the final release.

Can I go over what I have with the official release?
You can reinstall the final over top without erasing, but I'm not sure if that would fix it. You may need to wipe and reinstall the final to start fresh.

Reactions: HenryDJP

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Is this on a personal system, or a work issues system with pre configuration profiles, AD, etc?

Since you did some restore and fresh installs and beta testing, try to check if you have a security token?

sudo sysadminctl -secureTokenStatus ACCOUNTNAMEHERE

Remember, you're on a rootless device,
It's a personal system. That command came back with unknown user?
sysadminctl[1533:104361] Unknown user ACCOUNTNAMEHERE

[doublepost=1506884134][/doublepost]
You can reinstall the final over top without erasing, but I'm not sure if that would fix it. You may need to wipe and reinstall the final to start fresh.
That sucks. I guess FV was not meant for me:-(

Last edited:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
It's a personal system. That command came back with unknown user?
[doublepost=1506884134][/doublepost]
That sucks. I guess FV was not meant for me:-(
Type: whoami
to get the username, then try the command again.

If it gets unknown user, then there's no security token or the system has a more serious issue.. i can imagine the FV then can report back an issue. I don't know if it's a bug or whatever.
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 20.58.54.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 21.00.39.png

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Type: whoami
to get the username, then try the command again.

If it gets unknown user, then there's no security token or the system has a more serious issue.. i can imagine the FV then can report back an issue. I don't know if it's a bug or whatever.
View attachment 722700
View attachment 722701

Ok, I ran the command right this time and this is what I got:

2017-10-01 15:13:02.949 sysadminctl[1581:112070] Secure token is DISABLED for user LarryJoe33

Does this look suspicious?

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
It's not suspicious, but I believe you require security token to be on in order for FV to work. I just got home from visiting my parents for a coffee, and if I can find the documentation again I will post it.. but at first glance it's no longer where I expected it.

JISystems

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2007
Northern California
Sorry to hijack the thread but I think I have a similar issues that I would love some advice on. I had the double password and the extra “other" user issue. To try and fix this I turned off FV (took 3 days to decrypt, 2011 iMac with a 1TB SSD) Now when I try and turn FV back on I get the error "Authentication server failed to complete the requested operation” I would be very grateful of any help or advice.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
The command to enable the secure token is

Code:
sysadminctl -secureTokenOn

Just don't be surprised if that reports problems with the authentication server credentials.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
The command to enable the secure token is

Code:
sysadminctl -secureTokenOn

Just don't be surprised if that reports problems with the authentication server credentials.
Thanks, I ran it and still getting the same message when trying to enable FV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.