Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daymouse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013
Ive just bought a 2nd hand 13" Macbook 2011 and the battery stats look a little off to me and wanted a better opinion if its ok or not?

Battery says 84.5% capacity with 144 cycles.

This to me seems very low for the amount of cycles its gone through.

daymouse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Wow, that’s a small number of loadcycles for a 2 yr old computer - My MBP is 3 yrs old and has 1400+ cycles :eek:. How long does the battery last when doing things like web browsing?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Wow, that’s a small number of loadcycles for a 2 yr old computer - My MBP is 3 yrs old and has 1400+ cycles :eek:. How long does the battery last when doing things like web browsing?

Yeah it totally depends. Someone might use it plugged in all day home vs say me for example, charge at night, unplug and take it to school with me all day. Goes down to 20% or so and do it all over again the next day :D

Can anyone explain how it calculates a full cycle? When does it count another one? A total of 100% charge is a cycle? That has always confused me.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah it totally depends. Someone might use it plugged in all day home vs say me for example, charge at night, unplug and take it to school with me all day. Goes down to 20% or so and do it all over again the next day :D

Can anyone explain how it calculates a full cycle? When does it count another one? A total of 100% charge is a cycle? That has always confused me.

I’ve heard that ANY discharge and recharge is a cycle. So if your battery is at 70% and you discharge it to 60%, then recharge it to 65%, that counts as a cycle... Not sure how true it is, but maybe it’s why people say to do FULL recharges and discharges, rather than discharging a little bit and then recharging: So that you make the most out of every cycle.

----------

mine had 200 and it was a 09'

Mayb I just have an abnormally high amount, then :eek:

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I’ve heard that ANY discharge and recharge is a cycle. So if your battery is at 70% and you discharge it to 60%, then recharge it to 65%, that counts as a cycle... Not sure how true it is, but maybe it’s why people say to do FULL recharges and discharges, rather than discharging a little bit and then recharging: So that you make the most out of every cycle.

----------

Nope. If you drain to 50, charge to 100, drain to 50 and charge back up, that's one cycle.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N

----------

A cycle is calculated based on combined partial charges equalling 100%.
See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

From the KB:
About Battery Cycles

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could use your notebook for an hour or more one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so it may take several days to complete a cycle.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
mine had 200 and it was a 09'

I recently sold my Early 2009 17" C2D - it only had 31/1000 :eek:, capacity was still > 90%.

My wife's MBA (original) has > 769/300, with 84% capacity - status "normal".

OP - capacity can vary over time too - both up and down.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Honestly my battery failed not to much older then the one you have (my 2010 battery failed at 187 cycles) . so id be leery about it. maybe its not common, but im still pissed about it.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
strange, mine is a 11 model, over 450 cycles and still 93%... took care of it with only full load and fully discharged cycles, whenever it was possible...

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
One question though..

Honestly my battery failed not to much older then the one you have (my 2010 battery failed at 187 cycles) . so id be leery about it. maybe its not common, but im still pissed about it.

Can you tell what happened, when your battery failed? Did it got swollen or did you not be able to charge again. How does your battery failure occur.. Did you got an error message?
I would be interested how often you recharged the battery. Kept it always on the power or always drained it completely, doing only full cycles..

Can you elaborate?

So far I have been ok with mine, its 88% with 286 cycles on a 35 Month old MBP..

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Can you tell what happened, when your battery failed? Did it got swollen or did you not be able to charge again. How does your battery failure occur.. Did you got an error message?
I would be interested how often you recharged the battery. Kept it always on the power or always drained it completely, doing only full cycles..

Can you elaborate?

So far I have been ok with mine, its 88% with 286 cycles on a 35 Month old MBP..

I was experiencing short battery life. maybe 45 minutes. then the other day I clicked the battery icon in the finder menu bar and at the top of the drop down battery menu it says Service Battery. if i click on it a window opens with the various battery conditions. they are normal, replace soon, replace now, and service battery.

My condition is service battery which it says the battery isnt functioning normally and you may experience a change in behavior or the amount of charge it holds. take your computer in for service. you can continue to use your battery before its checked without harming your computer.

cocunutbattery reports 3146 mAh current max capacity. (55%)

the battery also drained 30 percent over night in sleep mode unplugged.

I used mostly full cycles. from 100% down to about 16% before I charged it. I know people with way more cycles then me. so the battery crapping out on me is likely just bad luck.

Im also pissed because I spent 120 dollars + 17 dollars shipping at ifixit for a new battery and then i noticed ebay has apple oem batteries brand new for 53 dollars with free shipping. to add to it the ebay battery had a 1 year warranty and the new battery from ifixit had 6 months.

tengtengvn

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2013
Im also pissed because I spent 120 dollars + 17 dollars shipping at ifixit for a new battery and then i noticed ebay has apple oem batteries brand new for 53 dollars with free shipping. to add to it the ebay battery had a 1 year warranty and the new battery from ifixit had 6 months.

A lot of OEM stuff from ebay aren't OEM at all and good luck getting the warranty from ebay sellers.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
A lot of OEM stuff from ebay aren't OEM at all and good luck getting the warranty from ebay sellers.

I intend on selling the laptop so the battery for 50 would have been just as good if it got 4 hours instead of 5 or something. It still would have been a new battery and better then most batteries that had been used since 2010.

the resale value on a 2010 macbook pro is not very high. add to the fact i had to invest almost 140 dollars into it for just a battery makes it worse. I take care of all my stuff. no dings no dents no nothing. 100 percent perfect condition since it was bought. so there was no way i was going to sell it with a bum battery.

the laptop is heavily upgraded but still most wont invest on a machine that doesnt even have usb 3.0 on it.

i expect huge losses with this machine.

Last edited:

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Mine is at 80% in a 2010 with about 300 cycles. As if it was a 300 cycle 3 year battery. Not 1000 cycle 5 years as it is supposed to. Naturally Apple makes such claims and gives only a warranty for 1 year on the battery.
Mine never was at 100% I got it with 97-95 and then it went quickly down to 90 and lower. Took longer from 88 down to 80. Some are just lemons. I use mine often a little but not all the time.

I may try those ebay ones too some time.
Will probably go with this notebook for another year or so.

tengtengvn

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2013
I intend on selling the laptop so the battery for 50 would have been just as good if it got 4 hours instead of 5 or something. It still would have been a new battery and better then most batteries that had been used since 2010.

the resale value on a 2010 macbook pro is not very high. add to the fact i had to invest almost 140 dollars into it for just a battery makes it worse. I take care of all my stuff. no dings no dents no nothing. 100 percent perfect condition since it was bought. so there was no way i was going to sell it with a bum battery.

the laptop is heavily upgraded but still most wont invest on a machine that doesnt even have usb 3.0 on it.

i expect huge losses with this machine.
+1 any money invest in an old machine that you are going to sale is a lost.
My lady's 2010 MBP showed the battery service warning too then I upgraded it to ML and the message went away. It may upgraded the SMC or something. It still lasts 4-5 hrs with 82% capacity left and 160 cycle.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.