Hows my promotional video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by adamvk, Aug 8, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I made a short promotional video, I'm wondering how people like it. I used Archicad 11 to render the scenes and iMovie to put it together. Let me know if you have any suggestions for songs too, I'm not sure if I like the song I put in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqqlWlxBVBU

2. xcitu macrumors newbie

Very nice! lill bit laggy though, but very nice :D

3. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I like it

Couple things though

1) it plays back a little choppy
    2) while the surfaces and whatnot are not bad, it could be really impressive if you spiffed that up

5. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I am quite fond of Imogen, but the song doesnt quite fit the video, imo. Something with a bit more of a build up would work better.
    Try one of these:
    All is Violent, All is Bright by God is an Astronaut (at 1:08 all the intruments come in, line that up with 0:38 in your video where the architecture definition comes up)
    Home by Kyte (line up 1:33 with 1:03 in your video and it makes your company's name look awesome)

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thanks for the advice...I'm not too fond of the song either, I just threw it in there temporarily.

7. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

The playback is a bit jerky, i'd recommend rendering it at 30fps for Youtube. Otherwise very nice :)

8. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

use the one from the Lloyds TSB advert if you live in the US here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3xe9dSY7zM

9. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

NOOOO This song is awful! But I agree that the current one although maybe nice on its own really doesn't fit the visuals. I would recommend some sort of instrumental music allowing you to focus more on the visual!

The 3d on the other hand is great and I'm very envious.

10. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I've updated it with a new song, thanks for the recommendation on it.

edit: didn't work, it will be an hour or so until the new ones up.

Thanks! In the mean time while the new ones uploading heres a project I just started on.

[​IMG]

11. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

My only complaint is choppy and the song. Other than that it's a good start

12. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i like the song muuuuuch better, though still choppy

i wonder if its on youtube's end

14. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

It may be the actual rendering though too. If thats the case it will take another 24 hours or so to render again :(

Anyone have a render farm I could use? :)

15. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

It really could be the rendering. Didi you use compressor to create the final video?

Try turning the FPS up in the 3d program

16. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Are you rendering it on your MBP? Find someone with a mac pro or even an imac you can borrow and render it on that. If i had one i'd download the 30 day trial of ArchiCAD and render for you, but i dont :(

17. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I know lots of people with iMacs, but not Mac Pros. I don't think the iMacs would be much faster anyways unless they were the higher end ones.

18. Photomax macrumors regular

Please take this in the spirit it was intended...

But I would not use this as a professional promotion for an architecture business. There are serious rendering issues and the music is still too strong.

But I think the big issue is lack of content. Half of the content just shows software CAD motion and the other half is just text phrases moving across the screen with no images to support them. Where are the designs? Photos of completed projects? Before and after images? What about well executed video pans from interiors of your finished work?

A video of this nature should represent a 30 second portfolio of or your work that will entice potential clients to hire you. There is nothing there to show clients what you do.

Even if you do not have video footage you can still do video effects with still photos: time lapse animation of projects or use of "Ken Burns" pans across still photos etc.

Just my $.02

19. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Good advice, thanks. I may be adding pictures or just completely redoing this if I cant get the video to smooth out. What about adding frames with projects in the part of the video where it becomes modern? Do you think that would work well?

20. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

In the section of the video where it says "Architecture is _____", I don't like the transition to the next statement of what architecture is. I think that particular transition looks a little cheesy.

I didn't like this frame either:
    [​IMG]

21. Photomax macrumors regular

I can see where you are going with this. By all means play with this technique and experiment with it. But not as your actual professional presentation. I would use a fake identity (while posting work in progress samples) until you get it perfect.

If your goal is presenting a professional promotional piece for your business then I would reconsider your current sample. All the cool slithering motion effects and software techniques in the world will not make up for the fact that the content is poorly presented.

We see this with Flash based web design. The Flash effects, moving image loader graphics, splash pages, and gallery eye candy often overshadow the actual content. The content is always the King in this arena.

I would concentrate on gathering your material that shows your work: photos, drawings, before/after images and video. Gather it all. Then rank all of this in terms of presentational quality. Rank them as "excellent", "good" and "so-so." Be ruthless. Do not consider warm memories, pet projects or gimmicks. String the good stuff together as a slide show with zero effects, dissolves, music. Just let the content flow on its own. You might find that what you have is too short. This is OK: the process identifies what is excellent and what needs improvement. If you have less than stellar images of your good projects then work on producing them. This might entail producing still images or panning video or both. You might need to work with others in producing these images. This is actually a never ending process. As you add better image samples you dump weaker content from your portfolio stack.

Once you have great content that illustrates your skills then you can introduce video effects like motion logos, sound, transitions and other video eye candy. But "less is always more" as the saying goes. Let the content be the star. The goal is to attract clients. Clients are impressed by good work and great presentation that does not overshadow the work. Any little detail that is not professional in your presentation can sabotage that first vital impression.

I would study the work (webs sites, portfolios, video presentation etc) of firms that you admire. Compare the "rock stars" in your field, your competition and your own efforts. All of this will help pinpoint where you are and where you want to be. But the bottom line is that there is great danger in presenting experimental efforts that are not ready for prime time. Search engines might always link you to such efforts even when you have moved on to bigger and better things.

22. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I just saw this response, its very helpful, thanks a lot. I am starting to study other websites currently and see how they do things. Right now I'm at a road block though as my website is not functioning correctly, so I'm working to get that fixed.

23. Photomax macrumors regular

Adam,

I think what you are trying to communicate is best done with a website. Its a good way to reach more people 24-7. You can add video files to your website but the video needs something "extra" that that text and images cant provide in the body of the site. Keep in mind that some people just prefer not to click on video files as they hate waiting for them to load.

I do photography and web design for a living so PM me if you have questions...

24. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Holy cow, that was like riding the Tilt-a-whirl.. make it stop spinning, I want to get off *queasy*

25. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i dont mind helping you render it:) btw if you need any help with scripts or the website send me a message, i'd be more than happy to help