Hows the back of your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joeyboyyy91, Apr 13, 2011.

1. joeyboyyy91 macrumors member

Managed to drop lucky today and get an iPad2 from my local apple store, along with a smart cover.

Just a question to you guys who have had yours longer, how is the back of your iPad holding up? I'm slightly concerned about marking/scratching the aluminium; do I need to be worried, or is it more resilient than you would have thought?

Thanks guys

2. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

use a skin to cover it. I did from day one. found here: BSE

3. joeyboyyy91 thread starter macrumors member

Steady, thanks for the suggestion, I'm based in the uk so will have a look for a similar product here.

Anybody else got input?

4. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I'm in the UK and I purchased skins for the back from the US. I don't know if you can get them in the shops yet.

Invisible shield actually ship from the UK so may be worth buying from them.

My iPad has a screen protector and back skin and looks great and stays mint keeping resale value in the future. You should go the same way.

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I bought a skin to put on the back of my iPad when I got it 2 weeks ago. Haven't had time to apply it yet. The back still looks pristine.

I am careful with it though. I make sure the surface where I put it down is clean and I put it in a slip cover when I am not using it.

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I was considering getting a skin to cover the back of my iPad, but I decided against it because of the price and because I know I won't like the feel of it once it's on and will probably end up removing it (as I've done with the other skins i've applied on my iPhones in the past).

I currently only use the grey polyurethane cover, and I didn't buy a case at launch because almost none were available, and now I want to wait until I find one I know I'll really enjoy before investing in one.

So for the most part, I only use the smart cover. I do put the I
    iPad in a burlap sleeve that's meant for my MacBook whenever I carry it around in my Backpack. I try not to put it on a table if the back is going to make contact with the table, because I don't want to scratch the back. Usually I'll just place it face-down so that the smart cover is what's in contact with the table. Or if I'm using it, I'll fold the smart cover behind the iPad and set it on the table that way. When I was at home though, my parents moved my iPad around, and I found that they placed it on a table with the back exposed, or I handed it to them to show them something and they ended up placing it roughly on the table. It makes me cringe, but I have yet to see a scratch on the iPad.

When I prop the iPad up with the Smart Cover to type, I do allow it to make contact with the table, but I place it carefully. I don't have scratches yet, but I do treat it very carefully, and it is a hassle. So I'd suggest getting some sort of back cover. I'm just holding off to find something I'll like.

7. georgee2face macrumors member

MINE GOES EVERYWHERE WITH ME, and i use no skin on the back. some very small scratches. I guess if you sell yours, it might be important. I gave my Ipad1 away, and will do so wth this one. the first ipad had only a very few scratches on the back. I never put in a skin or case. just carried it in my cxomputer bag

8. blevins321, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

blevins321 macrumors 68030

I use the faux-leather back from JustStickIt. HERE is the link to their eBay store. They are based in Vancouver, Canada and ship worldwide free at least till the end of the month. No peeling around the edges or any of that nonsense. It also provides a nice amount of friction when you sit it on a table.

9. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

I use iCarbon skins... There are many other options. The aluminum scratches - it's just how it is. Take a look at the ones at the Apple Store.

10. Smoothness macrumors regular

I pretty much keep it now in it's portfolio case.

11. elan123 macrumors 6502

Amazon has some for cheapssss.

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

totally with you on that one

[​IMG]

13. Cify macrumors newbie

I dropped mine on a wood floor from about 3 feet and the icarbon carbon fiber skin saved me from any scratches.

I definitely would recommend one.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

I never had anything on the back of my original iPad but it's in pristine condition. However for the iPad 2 I've decided to use an Incipio Feather clear cover for the back. It's clear so still shows the colour of the back aluminium but it gives a better grip and protects the back. The only problem is that even though it's supposed to work with the smart cover there are no cut outs for the magnets so the cover doesn't stay on very well. I may look for something similar that works much better with the smart cover.

15. mopppish macrumors 6502

The "I don't want to scratch the back of my iPad but am willing to put some stupid ass cover on it" mentality cracks me up.
    This thing is lovely with nothing on it. Right now, I just make sure it's in a dedicated pocket in the same bag I carry my laptop in. I have a treegloo case on the way, which I bought specifically because I can easily remove the iPad from it. The only reason I got a case at all was for functional angles and to be able to throw it in any bag without damage.

16. Zeos macrumors 6502

Get Ghost Armor or Zagg for the back. While I prefer Ghost Armor, either one will alleviate your concerns and allow you to better enjoy your ip2.

17. jtara macrumors 65816

Well, if it's already too late:

http://www.maasinc.com/products_metalpolish.aspx

Otherwise, put a case on it.

I finally ditched my yellowed, $50 Belkin case and replaced it with a $7.99 faux-leather model from Fry's. Looks better, thinner, less interference with the connectors, and protects it just as well.

ProjectRiot.com model. They have various faux finishes. I thought it was funny that the Fry's sales receipt lists it like this:

18. ani23 macrumors 6502

Silver

with the smart cover and another cheapo case logic thing that i picked up i think i have invested enough in protecting this baby. lets not go batshait crazy over it.

19. rk505 macrumors newbie

I couldn't find anything from a legitimate source in the UK with regard to skins or cases that were compatible with the smart covers. Ebay turned out to be the quickest route, as there are plenty of cheap back cases which are compatible with the smart cover on there for about £10. The one I ordered arrived the next day by first class post. It's not perfect (its a horrible colour) but it will keep the back scratch free until we start seeing some decent quality options with quick delivery over here.

20. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Skins aren't my thing. Changes how it feels and the overall experience. I recommend just taking care of it.

21. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Is it a wet install skin or dry? And if it's dry is it easily removable and reusable?

22. jtara macrumors 65816

It's not a skin, it's a hard case. But much less bulky than the Belkin.

Oh, this is for an iPad2.... Not so many products out yet for that, and, yes, of course if you want to use the smart cover that would be a problem. But if you have the smart cover, why do you think you need something else in addition?

23. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

and to elaborate on my "anti-skin, pro taking care of your iPad" post... I always place mine face-down on the leather smart cover when I'm not using it.. obviously that will wear better and I honestly don't mind the leather wearing.

24. blevins321, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

blevins321 macrumors 68030

It's a dry install. They use a 3M adhesive coating. I doubt if it's reusable, but I'm sure that removing it is as simple as pulling off a corner and peeling it off.

Pics are attached.

Attached Files:

25. jtara macrumors 65816

Oops, sorry, I mis-read. I saw "faux leather" and I thought they were talking about my post. Sorry.

I still like my faux-leather hard case. ;)