How's the iPhone holding up without a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by R2T, Jul 3, 2010.

1. R2T macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for the silicone case I ordered from eBay and mine has been holding up pretty well without a case. Maybe a little scratch by the flash but I can only see it when there is a direct light shinning on it. I just want to know how some of you guys iPhones are without any cases. Is the Apple still shiny?

2. omizzle macrumors regular

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

4. msavwah macrumors 6502

I'm using an iPod sock, bought em just for the iPhone 4.
    Still naked for using but with some protection from scratches and dust etc.
    It allows me to rest easy and put it in my pocket or set it on a flat surface.
    Gonna try some other things later but so far I'm liking this option pretty well.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Just fine. Looks good. Mine just took a dive from a desk onto the floor and nothing happened.

6. R2T thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I could have came up with the sock idea before I got the scratch haha

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I'm not happy about having to use a bumper, but without it my iPhone 4 won't function. It's a shame to cover up such a good looking design.

8. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

Exactly the same as the day I got it, although I do baby it a touch...

9. R2T thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think you are alone on babying your iphone lol

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I used a screen protector and silicone case made for the 3G. Not a perfect fit of course but it works until my new case gets here. So far no scratches as far as I can tell.

11. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Pretty damn nicely :). Have mine caseless since pre-order came in on the 23rd.

It's definitely more scratch resistant than the 3GS since it's glass and not plastic and the build quality is excellent. It feels more "fragile" at first because it's so shiny and SO solid compared to the old one but it's a tank for everyday use.

I get a lot of OMG YOU HAVENT GOTTEN A CASE FOR IT?!?! from people but it's waaaaay too beautiful to hide in plastic.

12. R2T thread starter macrumors newbie

The way I got the little scratch on my phone is kind of silly. I set the phone on a printer and it fell off the printer onto the desk. The height of the fall was probably about 10 inches. But I'm not complaining though it still looks great in my eyes.

13. California King macrumors 65816

Maybe it's just me, but it looks just like any other iPhone with a case on. Plus, I like all the comments I get about my new iPhone...good way to meet new people, in a way.

14. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

Looks good (even after it feel from the arm of the couch)!

15. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

16. carowhine macrumors newbie

I've accidentally banged it on my car door a few times and it's still perfect!

17. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

My husband doesn't use a case, and it doesn't have any reception issues and it has no scratches.

The first day he babied it like crazy. Now it's just a phone so he tosses it around like a maniac. He pretended to drop it the other day, and my heart jumped.

Funny thing is his 3GS, 3G and original iPhone all had cases and all of mine didn't. Now he doesn't use a case because the cases make the phone stick to his pockets. But the iPhone 4 is so pretty I bought a bumper earlier today. I'm debating whether to put it on or not. I may return it and wait for another color.

But it's such a pretty phone I am scared I'll drop it, a horse will run by and step on it and then a street cleaning car will drive by and sweep it away all in the blink of an eye. Not sure why I think a bumper will help my nightmare scenario, but thus is life :D

18. MacBacker macrumors member

Mine fell out of my pocket at the movies and it even slid a little. I walked out of the theater just to see if there were any scratches on it. Not a one. Now, I have a screen protector on it. =)

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Had mine a week and I as many others did, treated it like a newborn. So afraid to set it down to hard, etc. But nothing happened besides my stress level. However letting friends see it did give me heart palpitations a few times.

But today I broke down. While I love how slick it looks, I'll forgo that to protect it and got a bumper today. I have to say, its not as bad as so many others are saying. I rather like it.

Still, no scratches yet.

20. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Hands down better than its predecessors. I kept looking at it for the first few days just waiting for a scratch to appear. It dis but only after it fell in my couch and got jammed between the side of the couch and a metal bracket in there ( sleeper sofa).so there's a small scratch on the back as a result. Now I have my INvisibleShield on.
    Lol apple sent me a new 3GS last week and the poor sucker didn't even make it for an hour before getting scratches on the back from just being wiped with a lint free cloth.
    So for me iphone4 is like Rambo ;)

21. AndreaN macrumors member

haha exact same thing happen to me! I was freaking out! No screen protector but I do have a bumper for when i got out and what not.

22. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Good to hear the phones holding up. I was getting tired of the "omg my screen is BROKEN!" posts anyway. Nice to see some positive feedback.

23. Fiction87 macrumors newbie

I haven't even taken off the plastic from the factory. Well, I haven't but friends always do when messing with it so now the film on the front and back looks pretty grainy but at least there are no scratches.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Still scratch free after being naked for over a week.

The best thing is there's still not a single scratch on the Apple logo, unlike the original iPhone and 3GS which got their Apple logo scratched up in a matter of hours.

25. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

My phone came with two minor scratches to the left of the home button that you can only see under certain lighting. Besides that, looks great. I just got a case for mine yesterday but only the back and sides are protected. Screen is still naked.