How's your Apple Watch's durability?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chillip, May 5, 2015.

1. chillip macrumors 6502

So it's been a few weeks since launch. How is your watch holding up to daily life?

2. susan12369 macrumors 6502

exactly as expected, thanks. Still loving it, still looks great. No scratches that I can see without a very close-up examination.

3. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Hoping to hear from people who've had good experiences to see if the bad ones are isolated. Please state watch model and whether you recall bumping it into anything.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I have the 38mm stainless steel with Classic Buckle. It's held up well with no visible scratches.

5. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

1 week and 3 days.:D

7. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I have the Sport, I've heard / felt it knock into things, the underside of my desk and walls mostly. I've ran with it, I've showered with it and it's fine.

No scratches on the screen or casting.

8. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

After seeing all the ion-x glass issues I put a screen protector on mine. I don't like having a screen protector but until I get a case, it's on there. Have had mine 8 days, so far no issues. Still too early to tell.

9. chillip thread starter macrumors 6502

Interested to hear about the ion x screen's durabilit. I would expect a few scratches as it is a watch and quite exposed on an arm.

10. AppleWatchGuy macrumors member

I don't think the crown will hold up well...it's getting really sticky....I'm washing it daily will report back in another week...

11. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I thought for sure I would have scratched mine but it doesn't have any on it yet.

I'm not a watch wearer naturally so I can't really think to baby this thing or accommodate for it protruding from my wrist. I probably hit it against something at least three times a day. I feel bad when I do but whatever, it's a sport watch - I won't care if it has a few scratches.

12. whatos macrumors 6502a

I used mine for a full week before returning it. The Stainless Steel model, all indications are that it's well designed. Compared to other brands I own that are made from stainless my only concern with Apple is its propensity to quickly attract scratches.

Yes they can be polished out, but that removes material. No other SS watch I have (more than 18 luxury models) is prone scratching like APPLE SS. However that's relatively moot. It's only Apple's first attempt and this is how they learn. I think Apple has done a very good job overall.

13. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

14. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

My 42mm SS is holding up great.

I've not knocked it into anything or dropped it (yet), but I'm not fussing over it either.

The Watch will show wear, it is inevitable. For now I can report that nearly a week later, the screen is still flawless and the SS body still looks nice and shiny :)

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

42 mm Space Grey here--

Still looks like the day I took it out of the box, and if there was any little thing wrong, I would notice. I'm picky like that.

I am worried about knocking it against doors and doorways, because that's how my old watch got all of its damage. However, I have noticed that I've been more careful about not knocking it into things than I would have my old watch, so maybe that will keep it from happening.

As far as the band--I have been out on a few walks and done a few workouts on the elliptical and it still looks fine. There is wear from where the two parts of the band come in contact with one another, but anyone who has ever worn another kind of watch before, especially with a leather band or some other non-metal band, knows that this is to be expected. It doesn't show on the outside of the band, therefore nobody sees it, and honestly I wouldn't care if there were some visible wear. Bands can be replaced if they start looking too gross.

16. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Interesting. Complete opposite of some reports that describe scratches with no recollection of banging it against anything.

Maybe the Sport is more durable than we thought.

17. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Not one issue yet! Really think it looks nice. In fact people at my office have commented that it looks much nicer than they expected it to.

18. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Maybe sport owners have worse memories than SS owners....

19. Docsteel macrumors member

I think a lot of folks (myself included) have gone so long without wearing a watch on a daily basis we are having to slightly relearn how to move to account for this extra protuberance on our arms. My wife and I have only had ours for three days (38 and 42 mm SS BSB respectively), but I have hit mine several times with the buckle in the car, banged it once at Whole Foods on a shelf while trying to get something, and bumped it a few times while getting dishes put up but as of yet no scratches on the body or the face.

I am amazed though that people are the least bit worried about getting scratches on the SS model body (not talking face here). In most cases they easily are buffed out, and I assure you, you will not rub a hole in the side of one ;)

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Watch is fine. Milanese loop is banged up where the magnet connector resides.

21. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have the 42 Space Gray and wife has the 38 White, both sports. No issues for either of ours and we have been wearing them 14-16 hours per day since launch day. I have bumped mine into several things around the house, doorways, doors, desk, etc. I cycle with it on and sweat doing cardio workouts. After the workout I rinse it off in the sink and dry it with a regular towel. I didn't buy the sport to baby it. I bought it as the more affordable option that I could really use on a day-to-day basis and if something were to happen use the $200 difference to cover the expense of repair/replacement. I have enjoyed the watch very much so far.

22. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Did any of you Sport owners go for the Apple Care? Trying to decide if the cost is worth it.

23. Uppercut05 macrumors regular

I've had my silver sport 42 with blue band literally since day one (I'm in Australia). Worn it every second of every day I'm not in bed. Been on runs as long as 36km.

I ****ing love it.

Not a scratch on it. Still looks brand new.

24. Smartdrive macrumors regular

25. Che Castro macrumors 603

Is only $50 why not ?