iPad mini How's your Black Mini holding up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Caris, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

I know this is the millionth thread on this, but I just want to know how people's black iPads are holding up after a few months of use? Any scuffs or scratches?

Also I'm curious to know the the headphone and lightning connecter are easy to chip/mark with them being used all the time.

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. New2012MacForMe macrumors member

No issues that you describe. Although I put mine in a case and it has a screen protector as well. My only issue is that it drops the wi-fi. The only device out of 7 in my house that has wi-fi issues.

4. Dimorphic macrumors member

Dimorphic

No case, no screen protector. I dropped it once and did no damage (phew).

I am going to get a Smart Cover though (just because I like them).

5. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

Lucky you, I dropped mine the other day and it dented part of the chamfered edge. Not a huge deal, but still annoying.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Scratches by the lighting connector from missed insertions. Not expected, BS that the black back does not scratch / scuff.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No issue here.... Perfect as the day I got it....

My iPhone 5 which is equally babied has started to show signs of the black wearing around the chamfered edge and I'm gutted.

8. Dimorphic macrumors member

Dimorphic

Mine actually landed flat on the screen so I was very worried when I went to pick it up. Landed on the hardwood floor in my lounge room.

9. cpc12 macrumors member

Black 16 G stopped babying it a while ago. Leave it lying around on coffee table, couch etc...

No case and no scratches at all on bezel, back or screen.

Thing is durable

10. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Bumped mine against a metal cabinet, nicked it and a thin silver line is showing through. The crazy thing is i thought id cover it by dabbing with a black sharpie permanent marker. The marker RUBS RIGHT OFF everytime, even after it dries! try it, you can write on the back with a permanent sharpie and it RUBS OFF, must have a special coating...

11. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I've owned the black mini since launch. No scratches dents or dings. It's naked other than the Smart Cover and goes everywhere with me. I where cargo pants and it fits perfect in the left 'thigh' pocket.

No scratches near the lightning port either. I charge every night

J

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't have any noticeable scratches or marks on mine. Ive had it for about 2 months now, and I haven't been using a case or screen protector. Seems pretty solid to me.

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

I charge with a dock and sometimes I dont get the ipad line up to the connector. Did not notice the damage until a couple of days ago

I would never expect there is an issue with hand inserting the cable.

Point is if you have something rubbing against the back it will scratch and mar.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Couple nicks on bezel. Back is clear. Screen is clear. Only using Smart Cover.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

FWIW, I put some clear tape around the port on my Mini and 2. This way I avoid any scratches if I'm not super precise when plugging the in.

16. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Gotcha...wasn't arguing that it was/wasn't a possibility, just sharing my experience. I do tend to be pretty careful plugging it in--even by hand.

O/T--what dock are you using? I've been looking for a decent bed stand dock for my mini (that also allows charging) so I can also use it as my alarm clock. The last couple of years, my wife and I have switched to solely using our iPhones as alarms...but the mini is a perfect 'clock' for the bedside. Some of the apps are pretty cool as far as digital clock design.

Also--is your dock only for portrait or does it also allow landscape 'docking'?

Thanks!
    J

17. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have scuffing on the edges of my bezel. But I can live with that. i need to take it in anyway because my do not disturb still doesn't work after all the updates, so I might get a new one anyway :rolleyes:.

18. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

Put my iPad mini (WiFi-only, 32GB, Black) in a case and screen protector within the same hour thatI bought it. I've dropped it a couple times, but no scratches or signs of wear. No signs of wear on the connector port and headphone jack either. This is nearly a month since I bought it.

19. jahoys macrumors regular

bought mine first week of november. died last week :( wouldn't turn on even after being plugged to the mac for a long time. reboot didn't work either. took it in to have it looked at and luckily Apple will replace it :). expecting the new one late next week.

20. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Happened to me the other day, but mine was just in recovery mode.

21. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

I use mine daily. Goes with me just about everywhere with me. Started out using the Apple smart cover. Used that for about a month then switch to the Poetic leather cover. No scratches, dings etc. Looks perfectly fine.

22. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Mine is mint but it's been in a Griffin Survivor from purchase. :D

23. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

Holding up great but it's been in case from day one:D

24. Che Castro macrumors 603

I have ghost armor skin back & front

So it should look brand new if I ever decide to sell

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No issues with mine. I too have ghost armor on the front and back. I wish I could say the same for the smart cover. Its looking dirty and a bit abuse, even though I take really good care of the tablet.