How's your iPhone 5 holding up this 2014?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jayotherocks, Jun 20, 2014.

1. jayotherocks macrumors member

Bought my iPhone 5 (White) on December of 2012 and aesthetically it held up just fine. Got some few scratches here and there mostly small nicks on the edges. However I don't like how I got these little black scratch that I don't know where they came from at the left side of my phone just beside the screen. Will probably get an iPhone 6, my battery sucks already.

So you guys who has an iPhone 5? How's your phone holding up. Share your photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MrBB macrumors newbie

I got my black iPhone 5 on launch day. It's still a great phone but looking a bit shabby around the bezels. My battery life is very poor now though. Also there are a few wierd software probs that have really started to bug me. I'm contemplating a platform switch in the autumn.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I had my iPhone 5 for 14 months without issue.

Not naked tho.

I traded it in to buy the iPhone 5s so I could use 4G. My network didn't support the 4G frequency the iPhone 5 used. :(

4. MrBB macrumors newbie

In the uk 4G signal is still so patchy so still on a 3G contract

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I'm on O2 4G Big Bundle and fortunate enough to live in a City with strong signal.

50mbps download speeds.

Attached Files:

6. MrBB macrumors newbie

7. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I've had my black iPhone 5 since launch. The thing still works great and only has some minor scuffs on the edges.

The only thing that makes me want to switch to an iPhone 6 is the poor battery. Three hours is realistic; that's not much. I also own a Lumia 1520 which has a two day battery life. That makes it so much more convenient..

Maybe the bigger 5.5" iPhone 6 will have a (much) better battery, that would be the biggest reason to buy the larger one for me.

Or is there a way to replace the battery with a better one that will easily get through one day?

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Got mine launch day 2012, but had it replaced twice so I don't really have any great indication of how it held up...
    Though I've only had one scratch on the bezel throughout my 3 phones, so I think it would've held up well.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

You can use Apple

Or a standalone cellphone shop which would void any remaining warranty or try yourself. Plenty of YouTube tutorials although you can do more harm than good if your not careful.

10. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

My iphone 5 is crawling to the finish line. I got it about a week after launch. I kept it case free for a long time and it held up really well. In the last 6 months, however, I've had some damage. The screen cracked. Still not sure how. It didn't drop so I suspect some type of pressure at the perfect point was applied and cracked it. Got that replaced by Apple for $149. About a month after that was fixed I bent the frame somehow. I'll post pics when I get home. Screen is fine and phone works fine but the side of the phone with the volume switches is clearly bent. September can't get here fast enough.

My wife's phone is in perfect shape. We got hers the same day and hasn't had an issue. Screen is perfect. Not a scratch and she throws that thing all over the place.

11. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

I have a launch day silver iPhone 5, and it still runs as good as new, battery life is just the same as it was when I had bought it. I have used it naked, but it does not have any scracthes or scuffs.

I will upgrade to a 6 as soon as it's out, as the small screen is the only thing which I don't like about it.

12. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Assisted Touch appears to be activated in the OP. Is there also a problem with the home button?

13. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Had my launch black iPhone 5 replaced under safety issue warranty for bulging battery a month ago. So battery was poor after 20 months of usage. Had two scratches on chamfer out of the box. Added a few more scratches over its lifetime. But with new replacement, will wait and see how used phone market is as iPhone 6 release nears.

14. Ffosse, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

Ffosse macrumors 6502a

Mine is fine for a 10 month old device - still have 59 days warranty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. shawndc1 macrumors regular

recieved mine launch day black 16gb, works fine no problems no malfunctions no wear & tear, has been in a case since day 1,

16. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

How's your iPhone 5 holding up this 2014?

Mine 12 months old now and aesthetically except for one ding in the top corner. The only thing that bothers me is the battery life. I have to charge it errday over night.

My next phone will either be the next Moto X, the next Z1 Compact or the iPhone 6 if it's not too big.

17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

My 32 GB black launch day unit has some scratches but is generally fine.

Recently, though, my sleep button stopped working so I've been doing without my iPhone for almost two weeks now until Apple has finished repairing it.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I've found that what actually scratches the phone the most is things in your pocket. Not even keys or change. Mainly the debris and such that works it's way in there.

I carry my phone in a wallet case that it slides into, when on the go. Other than that, once settled it's naked. Since getting the 5S it's been left on tables, couches, kids talked on it, etc.. It's in excellent condition.

19. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

My 5 is 13 months old. I have a TPU case and screen protector, so the only physical damage is a tiny chip in the home button. I'm not sure how that happened.

Battery life is about 85% of new capacity. Display developed a slightly pink tint about 6 weeks ago, but it hasn't gotten worse.

Overall I'm very satisfied.

20. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

21. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Generally it's in great shape, it's a bit scuffed up but it's black so nothing I can do about it. The battery is defective but it get's me through the day.

22. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Had mine since October 2012. Sleep/Wake button is done and chamfered edges have seen much better days

23. iOSaddict macrumors regular

had my black iphone 5 within the first month and up until I sold it (regrettably) in march it was working fine. Of course I always put a case on it. Battery life was not the best in the world but very decent (compared to LG G2) and doesn't take as long to charge as other phones with bigger battery. I wish I still had it :(

24. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

My 5s is holding up great. I will have to get some pictures later, but it has been in the Apple leather case since day 1. No scratches on the screen and when I take the phone out of the case it looks practically new still. Its holding up the best of all my iPhones!

25. mrjef40 macrumors newbie

Got my 5 in January of '13 and she is still doing just fine, battery life has slowly gone down the drain, but I have no complaints at all!
    Looking forward to a 4.7" 6