Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Ok. Well the guy at tmobile told me that wifi drains the battery

I've come to the conclusion that both are quality in terms of battery life BUT, it can also depend on the signal of your carrier.

I used to have AT&T and Verizon for my iPhones and was lucky to get one day of usage. Once I switched to T-Mobile, I immediately was able to get two days average and now have T-Mobile on both my 5S and iPad.

This wasn't just something I noticed on my iPhone and iPad. I had also noticed crappy battery life when using AT&T on my Nexus 4 & 7. Switching to T-Mobile improved the battery life greatly on toes two.

Now I leave my 5S on LTE 24/7 and it does not shorten my battery life. I still get two days standby and 7-9 hrs usage. iPad is amazing on LTE as well and I leave LTE on always.

fasttech2014

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
i have also iphone 5s but use can take a heavy toll on your battery, particularly when AirDrop is in "discoverable" mode.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Ok. Well the guy at tmobile told me that wifi drains the battery

Hardly unexpected by a vendor of a mobile carrier :p

Wifi data exchange is more stable (and usually faster, but this isn't always true if you consider LTE) and thus less power demanding than mobile network.

----------

i have also iphone 5s but use can take a heavy toll on your battery, particularly when AirDrop is in "discoverable" mode.

I don't keep BT always on, so Airdrop in not automatically enabled on my iPhone.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
My best ever usage on my 5S. I keep LTE on 24/7. I can't tell you how much switching to T-Mobile has improved all of my devices usage times over this past year. It has doubled on EVERY device I own. All of this is from texting/apps with no music and no use with the screen off.

Attachments

• photo-32.PNG
    photo-32.PNG
    64.9 KB · Views: 132

won01419

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
It just amazes me how some people get over 7 hours of actual usage( full screen time).
I use my phone 50% of wifi and full bar lte.
Mainly for messaging,Facebook,few YouTube video clips.

And my setting are background refreshing completely off, few locations are on (camera,safari,maps,find iphone). Brightness is average 50%

Makes me thinking my phone has defective battery.

PS: my battery just dropped 3% while writing this thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 120

Hunter78

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2013
It just amazes me how some people get over 7 hours of actual usage( full screen time).

And my setting are background refreshing completely off, few locations are on (camera,safari,maps,find iphone). Brightness is average 50%

Interesting that the difference can be as great between iPhone 5S users. I think they're getting closer to the 7-10h, they have primarily wifi on and not 3G/4G. For I doubt if they can get the 6-10h just on 3G/4G.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Interesting that the difference can be as great between iPhone 5S users. I think they're getting closer to the 7-10h, they have primarily wifi on and not 3G/4G. For I doubt if they can get the 6-10h just on 3G/4G.

I leave WiFi off and use only LTE and got 11 hrs in my screen cap above. I have found LTE always on makes no difference.

Hunter78

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2013
I leave WiFi off and use only LTE and got 11 hrs in my screen cap above. I have found LTE always on makes no difference.

Intressting that apple says that active monitor and Internet use only last for max 8h - 10h in 3G/4G and phone call max 10h without active screen. But you get 11h that's impressive. You got better then Apple says

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
My best ever usage on my 5S. I keep LTE on 24/7. I can't tell you how much switching to T-Mobile has improved all of my devices usage times over this past year. It has doubled on EVERY device I own. All of this is from texting/apps with no music and no use with the screen off.

Fake? How come your signal strength is ios 6? Jailbreak?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Fake? How come your signal strength is ios 6? Jailbreak?

7.0.4 jailbreak. I believe it's called bars in Cydia. The reason I did this mod is because I use T-Mobile. If I use the signal dots, they take up too much space on the lock screen due to the longer carrier name and the carrier name writes itself over the LTE indicator and it looks a mess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 123

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Is it an iPhone 5S ?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

I'm not sure if I posted this in this thread or another one but my amazing battery life didn't start until I switched to T-Mobile.

The last iPhone I had on AT&T and Verizon was a 4S. I was lucky to get four hrs use and 18 hrs standby. I had the AT&T phone unlocked and immediately switched to T-Mobile. The battery life doubled right away. I could make that phone last two days on one charge.

Now I have the 5S on T-Mobile and as I posted above, I got 11 hrs usage. Many of the battery problems are caused by poor carrier signals as I had with AT&T and Verizon. I could never get data at my house like I get with T-Mobile. It can make a huge difference.

won01419

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
You could have a problem with your carrier or just a defective battery.
A visit to the nearest apple store could easily give you an answer

I"m getting my new replacement phone from t-mobile tomorrow.

I will post my result with new device shortly!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm not sure if I posted this in this thread or another one but my amazing battery life didn't start until I switched to T-Mobile.

The last iPhone I had on AT&T and Verizon was a 4S. I was lucky to get four hrs use and 18 hrs standby. I had the AT&T phone unlocked and immediately switched to T-Mobile. The battery life doubled right away. I could make that phone last two days on one charge.

Now I have the 5S on T-Mobile and as I posted above, I got 11 hrs usage. Many of the battery problems are caused by poor carrier signals as I had with AT&T and Verizon. I could never get data at my house like I get with T-Mobile. It can make a huge difference.

Agree.
In my experience also battery life is heavily influenced by signal strength.
In the place where I work a poor connection gives me not more than 6 hrs of usage.
With the same usage in my hometown I can easily pass the 8 hrs.

----------

I"m getting my new replacement phone from t-mobile tomorrow.

I will post my result with new device shortly!

Did they check your previous device ?
Maybe it wasn't the battery but the place where you live ...

won01419

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
Agree.
In my experience also battery life is heavily influenced by signal strength.
In the place where I work a poor connection gives me not more than 6 hrs of usage.
With the same usage in my hometown I can easily pass the 8 hrs.

----------

Did they check your previous device ?
Maybe it wasn't the battery but the place where you live ...

apple tech support from t-mobile just asked me few questions on the phone. and they agreed to give me the new device. i get full bar LTE anywhere i go.

-joo

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
apple tech support from t-mobile just asked me few questions on the phone. and they agreed to give me the new device. i get full bar LTE anywhere i go.

-joo

Same here. I'm a light user and my phone barely lasts 4-5 hours a day with brief web browsing, texting, music etc.,. My iPhone 5 and 4S could easily get 7-8hrs with my usage. Spoke with tech support and T-Mobile is sending me a replacement next week. Fingers crossed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.