Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YN36

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
Puerto Rico
Is this good battery life?

Attachments

• IMG_7892.png
    IMG_7892.png
    76 KB · Views: 216

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
3 weeks old IP5s, battery fully worked in and up & running

Attachments

• IP5s-Batt.PNG
    IP5s-Batt.PNG
    81.3 KB · Views: 151

Arsenologist

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2014
Good or bad?

10% screen brightness
used for gaming (15 mins), whatsapp, instagram and few calls

Location services OFF
No 3G/4G

I'm not happy with the battery life :(

Attachments

• IMG_2298.PNG
    IMG_2298.PNG
    73.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
The 8.1 update seems to have a negative effect on the battery life on my 5S. I am on a low signal, which anyhow kills the battery extremely fast but still the effect is noticeable.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
What do you think about the battery performance on 8.1.2?

Generally speaking, iOS 8 had a little impact on my iPhone 5S battery life, about 1 hrs less usage time (I can't say about stby time).
IOS 8.1.2 isn't different from the previous in my experience.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I get like 4 hours and can't seem to push past this! I have changed a lot of settings and I have my email on fetch every half hour. I have a Pebble connected, so I'd expect maybe 7 hours rather than 8; but seriously what is up? I should be able to get at least 6 hours!!!!
Is 8.1.2 really draining the battery that much? Or is there a bug in my backup? I really dont want to have to do a full restore.

badwx25

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2015
new york
Just replace the battery. I've had my 5 for almost two years now everything is working fine except the battery started to drain real fast. I replaced it, super easy. Literally just watch a youtube video. Bought a spare battery from zeetron.com, mainly because I'm located in new york and I knew the shipping would be faster. Now it like its a new phone.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Just replace the battery. I've had my 5 for almost two years now everything is working fine except the battery started to drain real fast. I replaced it, super easy. Literally just watch a youtube video. Bought a spare battery from zeetron.com, mainly because I'm located in new york and I knew the shipping would be faster. Now it like its a new phone.

What if AppleCare says the battery is still healthy? Could a battery replacement still help?

badwx25

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2015
new york
What if AppleCare says the battery is still healthy? Could a battery replacement still help?

I'm not 100% positive. But I say why not, if you like to gamble. The new battery would only be $12.99 investment. So its not like your spending a ton. And if it doesn't fix it then put the original battery back in and maybe return the battery you bought.
I recently purchased this one http://www.zeetron.com/iphone-replacement-battery/

You will need a couple of tools, but their relevantly cheap. Also if you do decide to replace it yourself, there is a adhesive on the oem battery just use a heat gun or hair dryer to help pry it up easier.

I haven't gone thru and read all 33 pages of this thread. How old is your phone?

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I'm not 100% positive. But I say why not, if you like to gamble. The new battery would only be $12.99 investment. So its not like your spending a ton. And if it doesn't fix it then put the original battery back in and maybe return the battery you bought.
I recently purchased this one http://www.zeetron.com/iphone-replacement-battery/

You will need a couple of tools, but their relevantly cheap. Also if you do decide to replace it yourself, there is a adhesive on the oem battery just use a heat gun or hair dryer to help pry it up easier.

I haven't gone thru and read all 33 pages of this thread. How old is your phone?

I just joined this thread too. My phone was bought on eBay just a few months ago; before that idk.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I've noticed that my 5S is draining faster on 8.1.2 as well.. but maybe that's because I've started texting a lot more than usual? I don't recall having to charge it often back on 7.1.2. I know 8.1.3. is coming out soon and hopefully that fixes the battery bug. I do cycle the battery too and it's going to be a year old next month.

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
I obviously don't use mine a lot lol!

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 134

Joycekyle

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2015
I will set medium brightness and run less apps as possible. So my iPhone 5S could run more than 1 day. Actually, all the smart phone will burn its battery quickly. Unless you do not use it too frequently, just SMS and calling.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
My 6 tends to do really well up until 80%. Like I will get 2 hours and 15 minutes out of 80% but then after that it drains a percent every 3 minutes. So pretty much I would see 80% with 2 hours, suddenly I'm at 75% and it only took 15 minutes to get there? Even if I was doing the exact same thing the entire time it still does this. Because of that I can't manage above 6 and a half hours even though the first 20% put me on track for a 9-10 hour charge.

ifanme

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
macforums
It was too good in the old ios, but not satisfied with the new ios 8 as i am getting around 5 to 6 hours on average use.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
My wife's phone had a step change (worse) in battery usage about a week ago. I made all the standard setting changes, and did a erase and restore from backup...all with no effect. The usage list always had "home and lock screen" as the dominant process consuming battery by a long way.

Eventually erased and set up as new phone, and it is transformed...better than it ever has been.

After the erase it did take a couple of days while Photos and Mail showed as high users as background activities, syncing large mail and photo collections (beta lib is on), but once up to date it has been great.

I did have a call to Applecare who did the diagnostic test and reported battery was fine so it had to be a software problem.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
My wife's phone had a step change (worse) in battery usage about a week ago. I made all the standard setting changes, and did a erase and restore from backup...all with no effect. The usage list always had "home and lock screen" as the dominant process consuming battery by a long way.

Eventually erased and set up as new phone, and it is transformed...better than it ever has been.

After the erase it did take a couple of days while Photos and Mail showed as high users as background activities, syncing large mail and photo collections (beta lib is on), but once up to date it has been great.

I did have a call to Applecare who did the diagnostic test and reported battery was fine so it had to be a software problem.

I did the same thing; full restore and set up as new. But I have had almost no change. I have a pebble connected, but I should at least get 6.5 hours. I get like 5, a little more than before (which was like 4 hours). AppleCare says my battery is fine too. Weird and annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.