Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trash Can

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My wife's phone had a step change (worse) in battery usage about a week ago. I made all the standard setting changes, and did a erase and restore from backup...all with no effect. The usage list always had "home and lock screen" as the dominant process consuming battery by a long way.

Eventually erased and set up as new phone, and it is transformed...better than it ever has been.

After the erase it did take a couple of days while Photos and Mail showed as high users as background activities, syncing large mail and photo collections (beta lib is on), but once up to date it has been great.

I did have a call to Applecare who did the diagnostic test and reported battery was fine so it had to be a software problem.

My 5S battery started showing issues about two weeks ago. It would perform normally from full down to 80% or so, then the drain would be erratic, even in airplane mode. For example, it would drop from 60% to 53% in about 5 minutes while it sat idle (screen locked) in my pocket, then it would drain normally for a while, then back to rapid drops with no explanation.

I reset all settings, full battery calibration, and then restore/setup as new. It still acted the same.

The first trip to the genius bar was a waste of time, but a second trip a few nights ago was fruitful. The genius said the firmware could be out of whack even though the diagnostic test showed nothing was wrong with the phone. She asked if I wanted a replacement or keep trouble-shooting. I opted for the replacement. All has been good since.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
My 5S battery started showing issues about two weeks ago. It would perform normally from full down to 80% or so, then the drain would be erratic, even in airplane mode. For example, it would drop from 60% to 53% in about 5 minutes while it sat idle (screen locked) in my pocket, then it would drain normally for a while, then back to rapid drops with no explanation.

I reset all settings, full battery calibration, and then restore/setup as new. It still acted the same.

The first trip to the genius bar was a waste of time, but a second trip a few nights ago was fruitful. The genius said the firmware could be out of whack even though the diagnostic test showed nothing was wrong with the phone. She asked if I wanted a replacement or keep trouble-shooting. I opted for the replacement. All has been good since.

Did they charge for a replacement or were you in warranty?

sony83

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
How is my battery usage? The max i could ever get was 5-6 hours usage time on ios 8.1.2.

Upgraded to 8.1.3 recently..

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    104.8 KB · Views: 138

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Had to share this here: I finally have a decent amount of usage time on a single charge. Now that is what the battery should be like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 131

sony83

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Had to share this here: I finally have a decent amount of usage time on a single charge. Now that is what the battery should be like.

That looks promising. Did you change any further settings after the fresh wipe/restore in itunes?

The max i can get out of my 5s is 5-6 hours of usage time...im thinking of restoring through itunes and setting it up as a new device.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
That looks promising. Did you change any further settings after the fresh wipe/restore in itunes?

The max i can get out of my 5s is 5-6 hours of usage time...im thinking of restoring through itunes and setting it up as a new device.

I'm pretty sure my settings are the same, for the most part. It's been over a week or two since I did the restore; but for some reason now it is working normally.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA

It wouldn't hurt to try but I am just wanting to prepare you for *potential* disappointment. Even my iPhone 6 struggles to reach more than 6 hours of use on a charge. I have restored as new 3 times now, and there hasn't been much difference in battery performance at all. However right now I'm at 63% with 3 hours and 25 minutes of use which puts me close to 8-9 hours (I think, rough estimate). I went and turned off a couple more location services under system services and turned my brightness down from 20% to 10%. This is extremely annoying because I can hardly see the full beauty of the screen, anything with the brightness at 30% or more makes the phone warm and also results in much much faster drain. I'm sick of dumbing down the phone but I just want a decent battery life, like my iPad. That thing is incredible. 10-12 hours is pretty standard. If I see an 8 and a half hour charge I feel worried because it's so much less than usual. However on my phone I would kill for 8 and a half hours. :rolleyes:

Cell service isn't my issue I don't think. I'm at around -105db for LTE, and I'm on wifi anyway. I saw another user here get 11 or so hours on a charge (there weren't any music apps in the usage list) with -112db or less. I'm connected to WiFi anyway so yeah.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
My 5s runs for up to 3 days if I manage all the crap that wants to run in the background while I'm not using it. A quick visit with an Apple Genius on a Saturday morning showed me how to manage and control battery drain. Before I saw him, my battery lasted less than 8 hours, and ran very warm constantly. After I left, I usually get almost 3 days on a charge. You have a lot of control over how fast your battery drains.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
My 5s runs for up to 3 days if I manage all the crap that wants to run in the background while I'm not using it. A quick visit with an Apple Genius on a Saturday morning showed me how to manage and control battery drain. Before I saw him, my battery lasted less than 8 hours, and ran very warm constantly. After I left, I usually get almost 3 days on a charge. You have a lot of control over how fast your battery drains.

Do share the things you have learned. Don't keep us in suspense. It's impossible for me, for example, to get more than 5 h usage out of my 5S now. The battery is still ok with 96% capacity left.

sony83

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
It wouldn't hurt to try but I am just wanting to prepare you for *potential* disappointment. Even my iPhone 6 struggles to reach more than 6 hours of use on a charge. I have restored as new 3 times now, and there hasn't been much difference in battery performance at all. However right now I'm at 63% with 3 hours and 25 minutes of use which puts me close to 8-9 hours (I think, rough estimate). I went and turned off a couple more location services under system services and turned my brightness down from 20% to 10%. This is extremely annoying because I can hardly see the full beauty of the screen, anything with the brightness at 30% or more makes the phone warm and also results in much much faster drain. I'm sick of dumbing down the phone but I just want a decent battery life, like my iPad. That thing is incredible. 10-12 hours is pretty standard. If I see an 8 and a half hour charge I feel worried because it's so much less than usual. However on my phone I would kill for 8 and a half hours. :rolleyes:

Cell service isn't my issue I don't think. I'm at around -105db for LTE, and I'm on wifi anyway. I saw another user here get 11 or so hours on a charge (there weren't any music apps in the usage list) with -112db or less. I'm connected to WiFi anyway so yeah.

Well i went ahead and restored..standby time seems to have increased significantly so far.. will post results upon one full battery drain

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
I got the iPhone 5 also and i just need to charge it once a day or i could go without charge and it lasts until like 9 pm. I have location services off, i also try using WiFi whenever possible and kill all apps after you use them. If I'm done with Facebook i just double tap the home button then hold the app and you could kill it, stops from using when not using it. Also a critical thing is the brightness i have mine a little less that half way because that kills it fast.
Cheap essay writing service
Killing apps in the background is using more battery then letting them run. I only quit Facebook because that app uses really a lot when running in the background without background app refresh. But all other apps, you can let them run and have better battery life.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA

Please share.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
Location services is the biggest drain for me. I've got it set to 'never' for almost everything, but not all apps have a 'while using' option, and I do need it for some apps.

Whenever I have a day where my battery life is draining faster than usual, I turn it off and the drain stops.

Last edited:

sony83

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Results

Here are the results from the first charge/discharge cycle post restoring as new..
Screen brightness: Auto
Location Services: On for google maps and weather only
Background refresh: On for facebook, linkedin, watsapp
3G/Wifi: 3G while at work, Wifi at home
Usage mainly included some texts, decent amount of phone calls, facebook, flipboard, web browsing and some real racing 3

Attachments

• IMG_0019.PNG
    IMG_0019.PNG
    102.5 KB · Views: 132

robinblack

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015
One of the minor issue in iPhone 5S is having limited battery life. Its shares the same chassis as the 5, so there's not a lot of additional space to play with.
On the other hand iPhone 5S is much smaller as well as lighter. Allows the option of adding power pack case without becoming cumbersome.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
iBackupbot has ability to report battery health without jailbreaking.

Note this is an app you install on your mac, then open with your iPhone connected to the mac. (screenshot below is from "more information" after selecting the phone in the "Devices" section.

It is pretty expensive but has free trial mode which works.

Googling around it seems to have a mixed reputation, including not being accurate. But I have also seen a thread where it gave the same results as a jailbreak app. I have used it on a very old 3Gs, a less old 4s, my 6+ and now my wife's 5s, all with credible results.

"Battery Current Capacity" in screenshot is %

Applecare ran the diagnostics test on my wifes's iPhone 5s and said the battery was OK. Guess I have to believe them now.

I have absolutely no connection to iBackupbot.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned in this long thread.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 08.06.48.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 08.06.48.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Poking around in my wife's phone's diagnostics info, I found this "low battery log".

Doesn't seem to tell me much, and so inclined to ignore in view of the iBotbackup result and Applecare diagnostic in my #838 above.

Does it mean any more to anyone else?

Attachments

• IMG_0065.PNG
    IMG_0065.PNG
    77.5 KB · Views: 121

sony83

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
ibackupbot results

Just ran it..

According to this seems my battery is in pretty good shape? Still i only get max 5-6 hours of usage time

Attachments

• 5s back up bot results.png
    5s back up bot results.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 149

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Just ran it..

According to this seems my battery is in pretty good shape? Still i only get max 5-6 hours of usage time

When iOS7 installed on my old iPhone 5, the battery life was decimated by *hours* and no amount of clean installs helped, nor did any subsequent updates to iOS7. The battery life was effectively ruined by iOS7 and my battery checked out fine with Apple (as did the phone itself), and iBackupbot. I never found a solution.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
When iOS7 installed on my old iPhone 5, the battery life was decimated by *hours* and no amount of clean installs helped, nor did any subsequent updates to iOS7. The battery life was effectively ruined by iOS7 and my battery checked out fine with Apple (as did the phone itself), and iBackupbot. I never found a solution.
This is yet another reason why we need an iOS 9 performance/bug fixing update. They could easily use iOS 9 to catch up on all the issues started with iOS 7. Battery life is a huge one. UI performance is another huge one as well, especially on iPad.

sony83

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
dc5dd62e23bbf3bb84882c2dfe6a24ec.jpg

2nd discharge results after restoring as new. Used it heavily today. Mind you, out of the total usage time more than 90% was screen on time. So that's not bad considering most comparable android devices give roughly 4 hours of screen on time..still not as good as iOS 7 battery life though

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Here is my last charge.
Some of it towards the end was streaming radio; but still I guess that used significant battery, so I guess this is about average when having a pebble connected.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 119
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.