How's your iPhone 6 battery life going with iOS 8.2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Maximeed69, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Maximeed69 macrumors member

Hey people , im new here and i want to see how you guys doing with the 8.2 version on the iphone 6 about battery life , im sorry if there is any same kind of this thread but im really curious how is it since i updated to 8.2 i had a very bad battery life , for example when i had my 8.1.1 out of the box i use my phone for around 1h30 to drain the first 10% from a full 100% charge and since i upgraded to 8.2 i didnt had even 50mins from the first 10% but my whole battery life was horrible so i just downgraded back to 8.1.3 to see how is it ...

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Seems okay so far. Spent my lunch break tweeting and reading Reddit, still at 62% at around 2.5 hours usage.

I normally keep battery percentage off but flipped it on to get info for this post. Having it off really helps you relax as you're not worrying about every little tick.

Attached Files:

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

8.1.1 was the best for my 6+ in terms of battery life, no question, but 8.2 is better than 8.1.2 and far better than 8.1.3.
    YMMV.

4. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

This test isn't very long but the batt. life seems OK.

Attached Files:

5. Maximeed69 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah 8.1.1 was also best for me i also forgot to say that when i upgraded to 8.2 i had everything off wich means location/bluetooth/background app refresh i was only using wifi/3g i also was using just some simple apps like twitter/facebook/whatsapp nothing that eats so much battery but the thing is , i installed 8.2 manually downloaded from google , that might be the cause since my itunes only gave me 8.1.3 as a latest update even if 8.2 was already out

6. Maximeed69 thread starter macrumors member

Take a look at this . Seems really bad compared to 8.1.1

Attached Files:

7. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

You used about 25% battery in 4 hours with over 10 hours of standby which sounds good but it looks like almost all of your usage was playing music which is the iPhone's most efficient task

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Yeah, not much data transfer and location services was off as well. The music was piped through BT though.

9. shorestyle macrumors member

shorestyle

I've noticed the random "big" drop in battery is gone. Around 40% it would die within 2 hours. I also did a clean install of 8.2 coming from 8.1.3.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

11. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

That's good to hear! My "Big drop" would start at about 60-70% though. I would get a solid 3 hours or more out of the first 30% but then I would reach 60% in just 20-30 minutes. So I would go from a projected 9-10 hour cycle to a 6 hour cycle very quickly.

Anyway, my battery life seems a lot better so far! And yes, it does seem to drain a little more consistently, too, like you said. I'm at 32% with almost 6 hours of usage and I've been off the charger for 1 day and 10 hours! Plus I've been playing more games than usual, Duet, Crossy Road, and a little bit of Clash of Clans. My phone would be close to dead right now, as I indicated I would get about 6 to 6.5 hour cycles. So I am overall pretty happy with the update. Plus the phone feels a bit quicker in general.

iPad is at 8 and a half hours at 16% and has been off the charger for the same amount of time. Much more games than the iPhone, too.

12. Maximeed69 thread starter macrumors member

You guys are all pleased with the 8.2 update with some good battery life , maybe i'll try to reupgrade later and see what it would do

13. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Wait a couple of days after installing new iOS version. At the beginning I had always had battery problems.

14. Maximeed69 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah true , ill try installing the latest 8.2 again tonight and will see what it would in a few days , maybe calibrating the battery would help aswel'

15. shorestyle macrumors member

shorestyle

Battery life is about the same as 8.1.3

5-6 hours of usage with 12-14 hours of standby.

16. Maximeed69 thread starter macrumors member

So , i've updated back to 8.2 and used it for a few days . I actualy feel it got a bit better it lasted me 2 full days without charging and i ended up my day with around 6 hours and 30min . Anything good , i still feel it bad compared to some people getting around 8 hours or more i have everything off btw !

Attached Files:

17. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

my iPhone 6 has had fantastic battery life on nearly all iOS releases under one condition:

I have to keep the cellular radio off when using the London Underground (especially as no mobile signal so constantly hunting) and regular network rail services (signal coming/going and switching between 2G,3G and 4G every few minutes) and also when flying obviously. But it also helps to take it out my pocket in weak signal areas or just switch the cellular radio off. A 150Mbps LTE radio that works on 21 (nearly all) LTE bands available comes at a cost. Also, if I roam outside of Europe and haven't paid to get internet (but apps, including Music/iTunes-match, see that there is a 3G/4G connection) they start burning a whole in my pocket trying to use the internet and cause a massive drop in battery, so in this scenario it makes a big difference to switch off mobile data.

Wi-Fi calling should solve a lot of these problems. It's just as well the apple watch does not have a cellular radio.

18. Maximeed69 thread starter macrumors member

Well im using the carrier who got the best coverage in my country , sometimes the signal drops to 1 bar at work but its usualy good and i turn the 3G off as soon as possible wich means i only turn it on to check safari/facebook/mail etc...

19. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

A few of these posted results are from iP6+ so don't get to worried. 6.5 hrs after 2 days standby isn't bad for the 6.

20. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I wrote this on another thread I think but I have experienced about the same battery life on all iOS releases from the iPhone 4, 5 and 6 from iOS 4.0-8.1.2! It all seems to boil down to if there was a stuck process or not which I've had happen on all devices and iOS versions at some point. That's the only thing that would dramatically alter my battery. Download one of those free apps that show your cpu usage and check it every once and awhile through the day to make sure your cpu is idling down properly. It's all about the race to sleep!

Sure they can optimize code somewhat but ultimately your device is always going to physically drain the battery the same with pretty much all iOS releases. So when I see all these battery life posts about one version making things way better it's just hard for me to believe based off of my expirence and usage! Im not saying performance isn't better (or worse!) though! iOS 6 on the iPhone 5 is still the best experience I've had as for consistent performance and keeping apps/safari tabs suspended in memory. But when I updated it to 7 then 8 I still same the exact battery as 6. It all depended on my usage. The thing about iOS 8 that I noticed immediately was that there is sometimes a half second to almost a second of a pause before an app will launch from the springboard after touching an icon. This was never there in ios7 or six. Things always sprang open with no herky jerky delay. I don't know if this is fixed or not on 8.2 because I'm currently enjoying my 8.1.2 jailbreak. But man that's annoying and it does it on my iPhone 6! My wife's iphone 5 on iOS 6 outperforms my 6 in basic tasks. Anyways thats a whole other grumble sorry...

I was one of those people who though my device was magically getting way battery life but over time I've learned it's not much if at all different. (For me anyways:) (my 2 cents)

Oh and I turned my battery percentage off and now I try really hard not to turn it on and check it anymore because in the grand scheme it doesn't matter and the phone lasts me all day. I was obsessed with my battery life for a long time too there is hope people! :) turn off the percentage and enjoy your phone!

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

For a good many people there was definitely a drop in battery usage when going from a pre-iOS 7 version to iOS 7 or above.

22. RJCP macrumors 6502

Very random. For the same type of usage, some days I will only need to recharge my phone 2 days after giving it a full charge, other days it will last until the evening without a different usage pattern.

Mail seems to be doing a lot of background stuff, I don't really know what it why.

iOS 8 is the biggest pile of crap in terms of stability that Apple has ever released! Each iteration fixed a few bugs and creates some more. It's like a sinking ship... You cover a hole and 5 more open.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

So what issues are you actually having?

24. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I haven't noticed a difference with 8.2, generally speaking I am very pleased overall with the battery of my iPhone 6. On light usage days, at the end of the day without charging since the night before, it's not uncommon for me to still have ~90% charge. I have not charged for two days and now have +50% left with two days of moderate use. I do keep an eye on and eliminate apps that are battery hogs, which are not Apple apps. For instance, Skype uses way more power than FaceTime/Messages. On heavy usage days for me, I often have +50% battery after a day's use. I tend to keep the battery topped off even though I could go 3 days average between charges.

25. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Drastically batter compared to 8.1.3. Couldn't even get 7 hours before. I didn't change any settings or anything... Same location with same cell signal. Even used LTE about 50% of the time. Right now I'm at 78% with 2 hours and 46 minutes of use, and no, it hasn't been audio from music.

Attached Files: