HP Envy making me.... envious. Updated i7 chips, more Ram capacity, Quad Core.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zumajoe, May 9, 2010.

1. zumajoe macrumors member

2. nomad421 macrumors member

Yea I know !!! I'm wouldn't be trying to put 16GB of RAM in my laptop, but the new quad core mobile parts do make me jealous :p. That and the fact that HP finally came around and added a backlit keyboard. However, there is virtually no chance that apple will have another refresh soon. The current MBPs are here to stay; likely until early 2011.

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

You're fortunate to be getting an MBP and not the HP. I've got a newish HP laptop and it came LOADED with bloatware.. All in all a real PITA experience.

cheers
    johnG

4. hypermog macrumors regular

and a cheap chinese ipod knockoff is looking better than an ipod to me

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

As impressive as the spec's are, when it comes to PC laptops, get a thinkpad or suffer the consequences.

6. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

When something is too good to be true, it ain't true.

7. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

I'm hoping the mbp will get a refresh before the end of summer. Intel should give apple new cpu's before anyone else since apple was late in getting them this year. Also I'm hoping apple has been listening to complaints on how weak the graphic cards they're choosing are...

However, I'm concerned with upcoming mobile quad cores. I haven't looked up any yet but I'm guessing they will still take a lot of battery power even though they're mobile models.

Oh... And a price drop would be nice too :p

8. zumajoe thread starter macrumors member

Totally aware of the JUNK that comes along with those HP's...(most PC's for that matter).

Makes me curious that a company like that can have more powerful hardware- when Apple (lately) seems to have excuses/issues with incorporating the latest and greatest.

I've heard some of these other notebooks with these specs aren't burning our laps either.... why is that? :rolleyes:

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

10. nomad421 macrumors member

Yea, there is no chance that the MBPs will be updated again before the end of the summer. If it happens in 2010, it will be in the Nov/Dec timeframe. Maybe if Apple drops their obsession with obscenely long (though not so much in practice) battery life, they will choose to incorporate reasonable graphics cards into the next refresh.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It's because most of of the market doesn't really need Quad Core laptops with 16GB RAM ceilings. Apple could design the same hardware but beyond digital content creation there not a whole lot of customers that want Quad Core laptops yet.

Apple doesn't focus on incorporating the latest and greatest in hardware because they have what most PC vendors don't have. Control over a high volume consumer OS (OS X). So they don't have to market "feature overkill" as one up their competition.

12. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

If I remember right, the Envy trades its godly specs for a lack of optical drive. I think it's a pretty nice choice too, since I personally hardly ever find myself using one.

13. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Heat envelope. Battery life.

Having four slots of RAM is nice, but other than that I could pass on the HP offerings.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Envy 14 is somewhat tempting. Seeing the Envy 17 in action with Eyefinity is drool worthy.

This third generation of Evny notebooks does have optical drives.

Attached Files:

15. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Go for it. Buy the HP. Whatever choice you make doesn't have the slightest bearing on the rest of us. Float your boat. Now, if you're asking why I choose the MBP over the HP (or Sony Vaio Z or Dell XPS or ????), then that's a different story.

For me, specs are just a tiny, tiny, tiny part of what I'm looking for in a portable computer. Far more important to me are things like usability, the efficiency with which I get my work done, and the ease of interaction with the computer. Very-top of the list for why I like the MBP is the trackpad. Hands-down for me, a lightyear ahead of any other laptop manufacturers offering. Once you get used to the seemless multi-touch gestures on the MBPs, it's really hard to interact with any other laptop. Seriously, just go try the HP Envy or the Vaio Z touchpads after using the MBP. It's nearly unthinkable that such lousy input devices smear otherwise nice, expensive hardware from other manufacturers.

Another really important issue to me is the ease that the machine runs real-world software that I use. Mac OS X has advantages all over Windows 7 in this area, not the least is that its a far less attractive target for viruses and malware. My Mac OS applications work flawlessly (especially the Mac verisons of the Office products compared to W7 - I personally can 't stand the ribbon interface of Office 2007 on W7). Sure, Apple charges a premium for its hardware. You do get the bonus of OS X tuned to this hardware, which allows it to working seemlessly and blazingly fast. No shovelware, no bloatware, no turning my desktop into a virtual billboard for whatever company signed a contract with HP or Sony or Dell.

To take another relevant issue: the Mac just works. My laptop sleeps when I close the lid, and wakes in about 1.5 seconds when I reopen. I can't tell you have flawed this process has been on some very-high-end Windows laptops (hello Sony Vaio Z!). Keyboard backlighting just works (hello again Sony, which turns off the backlight when the screen brightness exceeds 50%). External monitors/projectors just work when I plug them in, no complex reconfiguration settings. A huge issue for me as I lecture frequently in various settings and classrooms and need my vugraphs to project, reliably and professionally everytime.

So, you're welcome to focus on specs. Go for it. I'm sure you'll be pleased and have everything you wish. No ones forcing you to buy the MBP or any other PC. You have to decide for yourself what's important. Me, I just choose the machine that works best for my real-world applications with no hassle, fewer problems, and an efficiency and ease of use at the top of the list, as these were my priorities. Yours may be different.

16. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Very true.Mac rocks.

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Envy 14 & 17 now ship with SLOT-Load Optical drive; a hallmark of PowerBook G4's, and now of MacBook/MacBook Pros.

I think the next refresh, late Summer or early Fall for Back-To-School for MB's will have a higher Core2Duo or Core i3ULV, while the 13" MBP will have the Core i3ULV/i5ULV; well I'm hoping.

18. zumajoe thread starter macrumors member

I'm with you on all of that. Trust me, I don't want the Envy- but you must admit that it has a 1-up on MBP specs right now.

My point is, during the time of the Santa Rosa release (my current MBP), I believe you couldn't get a much better notebook in terms of Hardware (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this..)

Many people in here seem astonished by wanting 16 GB Ram capacity or Quad Core in a laptop- yeah it's crazy, but isn't that the point of a Macbook ::pRO::: !?

For years this model has been geared towards Video editing/ Design professionals- and with the current offerings in Software plus 64 bit computing- our hardware demands are higher.

On the other hand, the i7 iMac seems to have done it right. That thing SCREAMS.

19. zumajoe thread starter macrumors member

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I know :)

I just like to make people aware of the buying guide because it is damn helpful.

I really think Apple is going to wait a bit before delivering QC laptops. At this point we really haven't seen many apps leverage the new threading tools in Snow Leopard.

We probably won't see MBP QC until Intel delivers Sandy Bridge.

It's a bit funny that HP appears to be returning to optical drives. They tried to wean customers off of internal drives and obviously have failed. Only Apple can pull customers "kicking & screaming" into the future.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's nothing new. Apple is allergic to quad core processors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPNFQX1JYOU

22. zumajoe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yeah the buyers guide section is crazy- I'll ask a question and within 2 minutes i'll have like 10 (actually knowledgeable) replies.

At this moment I'll be happy with 8GB Ram/Dual core i7, but I still think it'd be nice to future proof just a little bit.

What's the deal with Apple's RAM prices being so much cheaper these days?

I remember in 2007 apple wanted $700 for 4GB Ram... (bought it off Crucial for $300 instead) but this time around i'm actually saving $$$ upgrading the Ram through Apple for the i7.

23. zumajoe thread starter macrumors member

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There are quite a few vendors that would be able to provide a Core i7 980X in a portable form factor. It won't be ~1" thick or have any decent battery life though.

25. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I think at this point Apple wants to brag about battery life more than QC. I think the planets are aligning and 2011 will be a great time to get a QC Macbook Pro and a solid SSD.

We're really at the tail end of this platform era. I look at today's computers as unbalanced. 3Gbps SATA is becoming limiting, USB 2.0 has been limiting for a while.

I'm really looking at PCI Express 3.0, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gbps, SSD & Light Peak as key drivers for the next hardware platform.