HP Introduces PC with Built-In iPod Dock

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
From CNET.com, yesterday HP introduced the Media Center m7000 Series PhotoSmart PC with a built-in dock for iPods located on the top of the tower case. One model is also slated to include a built-in camera dock for HP digital cameras.

In addition, the new PCs are slated to come in a range of 3 silver-based lightly-shade colors, mimicing the colored iMacs in recent years.
Some might see at least a hint of a resemblance to Apple Computer's recent computer color schemes in the latest HP designs. But Tom Anderson, vice president of marketing for the Consumer PC Global Business Unit at Hewlett-Packard said HP wouldn't have made the changes unless customers preferred the new palate.

"We got a very warm reception for this. We didn't do it because Apple did it. We did it because our customers told us that they liked it"
The new model PCs are expected to go on sale in April, with prices starting at $379.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
denm316 said:
guess apple wont change the dock connector for a while
... like how they didn't upgrade the iPod after HP decided to customize their own? maybe Apple will get a laugh out of this...

but otherwise... wow... i can't believe Apple signed on for this, it amazes me. They'll do anything to solidify themselves as the king of the field. And it continues to work.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I hope this will be available for new macs that come out. HP beat apple to iPod integrated computers, come on steve.

I did hear rumors that macs are planned to do this, too.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The iPod is a cash cow, and Apple will see to it that the bubble doesn't burst. If HP moves a ton of iPods by making it more integrated with their PCs, so much the better for Apple.

The irony of it all is that the first computer to come with a built-in dock for an iPod is not made by Apple, though the Mac Mini almost did. Go figure.

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
rikers_mailbox said:
Isn't the dock connector patented? Does HP have to pay any licensing fees?
Well, considering HP manufactures Ipods, I would be surprised if there was a problem :p

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Don't flame or anything, but it's a pretty awesome computer when you check out the specs (besides the whole Windows thing...blegh). The iPod integration makes it even better. I too am a little dumfounded why this is coming from HP before Apple, it seems like something we've all been interested in since the creation of the dock.

Time will tell.

czardmitri

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2003
SF
iPods manufactured by HP?

GulGnu said:
Well, considering HP manufactures Ipods, I would be surprised if there was a problem :p
HP doesn't maufacture iPods... do they? They just resell them with their name (and Apple's) on the back, I thought.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
One BIG problem with this design that I can see... if, like me, you keep your computer in any sort of shelving unit/cabinet, having the iPod dock on TOP of the computer may make it impossible for the computer to fit.

Some sort of dock in the front of the computer (like, where the CD/DVD drives are) would make more sense to me.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I would like to see some sort of slide in dock, like putting an eight-track in. that would be sweet. Good idea in general though. I doubt we will see it on any macs any time soon though.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
You just beat me to it. No HP does NOT produce its own iPod. I find this very very funny on HP's side. If you haven't been keeping up with the whole HP and iPod thing.. HP has not ordered any more iPods due to pricing issues with Apple in case of a price change again. Apple totaly screwed over HP and HP had to come out with these computers cuz they wouldn't scrap a whole new line of computers. ANywho, i can assure you there will be problems with this dock, and ppl will not want to use it. I just have a feeling, it seem like one of those useless things in away. WAY TO GO APPLE!!! SCREW OVER THE PC WINDBLOWS!!

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
JDOG_ said:
Don't flame or anything, but it's a pretty awesome computer when you check out the specs (besides the whole Windows thing...blegh). The iPod integration makes it even better. I too am a little dumfounded why this is coming from HP before Apple, it seems like something we've all been interested in since the creation of the dock.

Time will tell.
I HAVE to disagree, look at it, it does not look appealing, the specs may be good but looks :eek: are no where near apple's, and putting an ipod integration to the computer adds nothing but make it an eyesore especially on top like that, i like clays idea, but i still think they should be kept separate, thats why supposedly steve J. took it out of the mini, they should be kept separate.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Considering that Apple went through 2-3 (?) dock conenctors for the iPod through my current desktop lifetime, I'm glad they didn't built it in. ^_^ I owned 2 ipods with different connectors meaning my dock would have been useless by the time I had my second iPod. But hten it's just me.

Another prediction: If Apple built it in, there will be people complaining about how they can't order it without one and saving a few bucks on their mac. The eternal built-in/optional debate. ;) Personally, I'd prefer without.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
clayjohanson said:
One BIG problem with this design that I can see... if, like me, you keep your computer in any sort of shelving unit/cabinet, having the iPod dock on TOP of the computer may make it impossible for the computer to fit.

Some sort of dock in the front of the computer (like, where the CD/DVD drives are) would make more sense to me.
Yep, I was just about to post almost exactly the same thing. Even if you wanted to put it on the floor under the desk, that makes the iPod dock pretty much useless. Boo HP! :eek:

Just goes to show you that Apple still has the best industrial design engineers in the business... :cool:

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
it looks so much more COOLER with the ipod in its own dock not in a built in dock like hp's, remember the picture with the new imac G5 and the ipod side by side? how cool does that look? VERY