Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HP today introduced the MediaSmart EX490 and EX495 home servers, offering upgraded features and greater Mac compatibility for the company's line of cross-platform home servers that received significant praise at Macworld Expo earlier this year.
HP today launched the HP MediaSmart EX490 and EX495 Home Servers, new models offering increased capacity, high-performance processors, more control, new user interface and additional Mac support - all at a lower price.

Based on the Microsoft Windows Home Server platform, the updated HP MediaSmart Servers have a refined user interface and a web-based home page that makes accessing and using the server easier than ever. Additionally, the new models offer a new video converter with custom settings and profiles that will automatically convert video libraries, including unprotected DVDs.
HP has addressed several shortcomings of the previous versions of the server line, adding server administration, media collection, and "bare metal" Time Machine data recovery for Macs. MediaSmart Home offers an overview of the new Mac-related features alongside a thorough overall review of the new servers, finding them a significant update to HP's already-solid MediaSmart home server line.

The new EX490 and EX495 also support the free HP MediaSmart Server iStream iPhone application introduced in April to allow iPhone and iPod touch users to stream media to their handheld devices.

Pre-orders for the new HP MediaSmart Server models are available beginning today with suggested retail pricing beginning at $549 for the EX490 with a Celeron processor and a single 1 TB hard drive and $699 for the EX495 with an upgraded dual-core 2.5 GHz Pentium processor and a single 1.5 TB hard drive. Additional hard drive capacity up to 7 TB (internal) or 17 TB (internal plus external) is supported.

Article Link: HP Introduces Updated Cross-Platform MediaSmart Home Servers

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Well then when is Apple going to update Apple TV?

Apple is falling behind in the Media Server Category...

MalibuMatt98

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
I'm waiting for Apple do deliver a similar solution like this other than the TC, or give TC advanced account setup options.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
DipDog3: I concur.

Is there any alternative to be able to access your iTunes Library via the iPhone over the internet?

MacU

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Mac needs to get ahead of the game

I love the new itunes feature that allows you to stream your data between systems. I have a mac mini connected to my tv and a macbook that has the majority of my files. Expanding the concept of a single data storage that both can connect to and stream the data would be awesome not only within the homenetwork but also remotely.

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
seeing as Apple refuse to replace my 18 month old TC, even though I have three machines (bought at separate occasions) under applecare, I know what I shall be buying as soon as available in UK

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Well then when is Apple going to update Apple TV?

Apple is falling behind in the Media Server Category...

falling behind ?
I don't think they've even entered the Media Server Category. I wish they would. We're entering a time when even many consumers need some server technologies and a central storage point that is easy to setup/manage. and considerations for Media we own and use at home is certainly at the top of that list.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
A home server seems like a natural place for Apple to make a difference... its surprising that they still have not put their foot down here. I can't imagine buying an HP server for use with Macs. I'm using a ReadyNAS NV+ currently, but I'd love something from Apple. One of the places they could really shine is in multi-user asset management. If they could allow multiple Macs to store their music, pictures, and videos on a central server, and then smartly access them from any Mac... that would be grand. I do professional photography and this is something that is sorely needed. I use Lightroom for photo work, and its very awkward to use it over multiple workstations... you have to literally copy the database around from workstation to workstation. Aperture has a similar model, and iPhoto is a whole other beast. The only thing that Lightroom and Aperture need to really work well is a multiuser database underlying the application... both are using a single user database.

MalibuMatt98

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
I love the new itunes feature that allows you to stream your data between systems. I have a mac mini connected to my tv and a macbook that has the majority of my files. Expanding the concept of a single data storage that both can connect to and stream the data would be awesome not only within the homenetwork but also remotely.

With the release of iTunes 9, I was toying with the idea of using a mac mini as an iTunes server.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I love the new itunes feature that allows you to stream your data between systems.

There is nothing new about this. You could always share and stream your iTunes libraries between multiple computers on the same LAN.

The only new thing since iTunes 9 is the ability to auto-sync purchases, and being able to drag/drop content across libraries.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
falling behind ?
I don't think they've even entered the Media Server Category. I wish they would. We're entering a time when even many consumers need some server technologies and a central storage point that is easy to setup/manage. and considerations for Media we own and use at home is certainly at the top of that list.

Apple already makes and sells a perfect Media Server - it's called Mac Mini. Add some Firewire-attached storage to the Mini, and you have a perfect home server.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
I'm still sorta wondering why you would need a dual core processor to run a file server, unless you're setting it up as a processing farm for graphics, etc.

Still, it both looks and sounds pretty awesome.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
HP EX49x seem like nice products, but like others have said, I want Apple's product. I am hoping Time Capsule is Apple's way of testing the water. With many households having multiple computers, I think the time is right for home server. My list of features:
  • iTunes Home Sharing server
  • iCal Server (CalDAV) for centralizing calendar events
  • Address Book Server (CardDAV) for centralizing address book
  • Time Machine backup
  • AirPort disk
  • Printer sharing
  • MobileMe integration
  • 4 hotswappable internal SATA drive bays
  • 2 USB ports, 802.11n, gigabit ethernet
  • Streaming to Apple TV

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
HP EX49x seem like nice products, but like others have said, I want Apple's product. I am hoping Time Capsule is Apple's way of testing the water. With many households having multiple computers, I think the time is right for home server. My list of features:
  • Time Machine backup
  • AirPort disk
  • Printer sharing
  • MobileMe integration
  • Streaming to Apple TV

This would certainly be on my Christmas wish list!!!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I WANT THIS.

I don't give a flip if Apple wants to make one. Why sould I care? This seems to do everything I want (I'm still reading, not positive yet) and it seems to play nice with my Mac!

Why shouldn't I just get one of these?

EDIT: Ok, it still looks good, but I'm not clear why I would buy one of these over a Drobo. It's cheaper and I guess it does less...? But I'm not seeing any reason I'd need this HP machine over that.

Still, looks good overall. I guess it's just overkill for me.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Damnit, I have an Ex485 and put up with their ****** first gen Time Machine backup capabilities. This better be software upgradable on the Ex485/487 series. I cant even create time machine backups now because I have enough content on the server where I don't have a contiguous 150GB block of free space on my primary HD in the WHS box. I have 600GB free on that disk, but WHS or HPs software isn't smart enough to defrag it in such a way to make a large contiguous space available for the TM backup.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
i think that i will be taking the plunge on this because with updated hardware i think there is nothing out there right now that is better for the consumer at home. It is unfortunate that apple refuses to address the growing need for home network storage with the advent of broadband connections. I would only be hesitant to go with an apple NAS because of concerns of apple shortchanging windows support.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Damnit, I have an Ex485 and put up with their ****** first gen Time Machine backup capabilities. This better be software upgradable on the Ex485/487 series. I cant even create time machine backups now because I have enough content on the server where I don't have a contiguous 150GB block of free space on my primary HD in the WHS box. I have 600GB free on that disk, but WHS or HPs software isn't smart enough to defrag it in such a way to make a large contiguous space available for the TM backup.
I still haven't gotten my Mac to do a Time Machine backup to my EX485 since upgrading to Leopard. Also had trouble with it one time under Leopard. It quit seeing the drive. HP support was worthless. Eventually I tried reinstalling the client software on the Mac to make it work (not something they ever thought of).

I'm a bit disillusioned with the solution for Macs. Maybe the new software will be an improvement (assuming they'll make an upgrade available). Time will tell.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Apple already makes and sells a perfect Media Server - it's called Mac Mini. Add some Firewire-attached storage to the Mini, and you have a perfect home server.

I actually have a mac mini with OS X 10.5 server on it (yes Legally)
It is great in a lot of ways, but I would love an Apple dedicated media server with refinements in that direction.

sonyc148

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
NAS/RAID anyone?

Err, this device does not even support RAID... Their so-called raid-style redunduncy seems kind of lame, for the following reasons:
  • It doesn't implement error recovery algorithms, but simply relies on the fact that the data is duplicated. That which means that you end up consuming twice the storage space, whereas with real RAID-5 partitionning you get the same amount of security, and you still have the available space of n-1 disks (n being the number of the disks, so if you have 4 disks of 1TB each, you can still use 3TB WITH redunduncy).
  • It doesn't provide speed gains when compared to RAID-0 or RAID-5 setups => with a RAID-5 setup, you end up with twice the throughput because the data is split between the disks (thus when reading a file, all disks can be read at the same time for different portions of the file)

Moreover, the pricing is quite high, when you see that you can buy a Thecus N5200B Pro for 600$ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822102004&Tpk=thecus%20n5200b). Ok, you still have to buy the disks after buying the chassis, but you can find harddrives of 1TB at 80$ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148411).
Which means that for 700$, you end up with a product similarly priced (600$ + 100$ for a 1.5TB harddrive), except that it will give you the opportunity to upgrate to a RAID-5 setup at a later point, just by adding more drives to it.

Just for a comparison, for 1000$ (600$ +5*80$ for five 1TB harddrives), you end up with 4TB of available space.

Among other features for the Thecus:
  • Faster over ethernet...
  • iTunes and media streaming.
  • Compatible with TimeMachine
  • Can be used as a FTP server for when you're not at home

Am I missing something obvious??

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
  • Time Machine backup
  • AirPort disk
  • Printer sharing
  • MobileMe integration
  • Streaming to Apple TV

Apple sells that. It's called an XServe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.