HP Photosmart C4580 Screen Turns Off

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macman756, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I have a iMac AL just got it and it came with the HP Photosmart C4580 Wifi Printer. It works great on the wifi, but After a few hours after printing something, the screen goes blank and you cannot print to it. It will not respond to any of the buttons and you have to pull the plug and restart it. Is there a fix? Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks

2. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Yes, we are having the same problem with that printer. It just locks up and nothing you push on it has any effect nor can it be seen by the computer. I have check HP and there are some software updates for the computer but nothing for the printer. I assume it is a really bad sleep issue. :(

3. copyace macrumors newbie

Exact same problem. Just got the printer this past week, and am trying to use it with wife's PC laptop and my MacBook Pro. Seems to work OK with the PC, but freezes after I print with the MacBook and has to be unplugged. Planning to go the HP Macintosh tech support route tomorrow, when I have a couple of hours to be on hold, and will report anything I hear.
    >>Brent in Chicago

4. copyace macrumors newbie

HP said my printer itself is defective as it freezes all by itself once turned on. I'm exchanging it at Best Buy for another -- turns out that HP only replaces printers themselves with reconditioned units, and when mine is only a week old I'll go for another new boxed unit, thank you. Will report.

5. moose0422 macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro and HP C4580

I have a MacBook Pro and Im running Leopard and Windows XP in Boot Camp. The HP C4580 stops responding after a few hours of inactivity under both windows and mac os x. I have tried everything possible form HP support and nothing has helped. Will get back if some fix is found.

6. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I hear ya. That think goes nuts. I print to it, 10 min later it can't be found and I have to unplug it. Crazy! Likewise, I'll update you all if I found anything out.

7. firemed509 macrumors newbie

Same problems as everyone else. I just spent 1 hour on hold with HP finally got tired and hung up. Talked to HP support and he said the issue is it needs to plugged directly into the wall. I will give this a try and post

8. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Nah thats not it. I've never had it plugged in any other way. Always direct into the wall and it still does it for me.

9. firemed509 macrumors newbie

You are correct. It's doing the same thing.

10. copyace macrumors newbie

Gave up on HP and returned the Photosmart for an Epson Workforce 600 which seems to have enough postings of people getting it to work wirelessly with both Mac and PC laptops in the same house. We'll see, or it's on to Canon or Lexmark.

11. firemed509 macrumors newbie

Just got the phone with tech support for the 3rd time. First time had me plug it directly into the wall. 2nd time did a complete reset of the printer, which caused me to have go through the set again. Was told to call back if issue returned. Third call was told this is a know issue and they are are working on a solution. Until they have a solution the work around is remove the power, exactly what we all now.

12. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

Wifi Sleep Problem

Hi I have also purchased this printer it's set up on wifi and it's been locking up when not in use. Rather than phone HP and speak to some call center guy with no technical experience I began to mess with what few settings this printer has.

The problem seems to stem from the print server going to sleep and not waking when prompted by the LAN or even the buttons itself.

So far touch wood i seem to have fixed my problem. I realized that the printer was pulling an automatic IP address so i changed it to manual IP address and inserted my LAN details. Viola! it seems to have worked so far. The screen still goes off after 10-20 mins but will restart on command from the pc or mac and via the screen buttons. Hope this works for you guys too.;)

Just got home and checked it's been working fine for 24hours now lock up free.

13. firemed509 macrumors newbie

This solution did not wok for me. Back to power cycling the printer.

14. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

Sorry it hasn't worked for you mine is happily been working since i did this on both my mac and pc networks.

Here are some other thoughts:

Make sure you have a unique SSID on your wireless network unlike others in the vicintity.

make sure you have a IP address at the end of the available addresses to avoid any conflicts with other computers that may be logging on the network.

Make sure you do a reboot first before entering the new settings.

Update everything through HP updater.

Good luck. i hope it works i know how you feel it really annoyed me that i had a wirless printer that i had to go turn on and off.

15. Apple Jack 208 macrumors newbie

Thank You freepeacesweet.

Your work around worked for me.

16. firemed509 macrumors newbie

Success

Freepeacesweet, Your work around worked this time. Thanks ... Now how long until HP figures it out.

17. copyace macrumors newbie

Freepeacesweet, nice going -- wish I had your solution before I exchanged the HP printer, but for the record the Epson WorkForce 600 connected seamlessly to both my wife's PC laptop and my MacBook Pro. It's bigger, it's more expensive, and we didn't need the fax capability, but I'm keeping it. Hey, if anyone from HP Support reads this forum, please note FPS's fix and send him something for his trouble: none of your bozos were able to help!

18. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

Glad you guys have the printer working how it should be.

I did email HP with my findings and this was the response i received:

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.
    Hewlett-Packard is working on a solution for this problem ,they should have a solution very soon
    We are sorry for any inconvenience

Oh well maybe people with the same problem will find this forum instead ;).

19. njboardwalk macrumors newbie

Actually got the fix from HP

What a surprise -- only took me 3 levels of support and 1/2 hour but I did get a very competent guy on the phone at the last level (you know what I got at the first two levels). Name was Justin, if you are so lucky. (He at least knew what the concept was behind DHCP, so I felt reasonably okay with him).

Firstly, thanks freepeacesweet -- you set me on the right path.

This HP guy essentially had me set up my C4580 as a static IP address -- it's not hard to do. My only concern is that this address that I set up is within the dynamic scope of the Wireless Linksys Router that I have it connected to. But, if worst comes to worse, I can always move it outside my dynamic scope address range (like, where I have my SlingBox).

But, so far, so good. Thank you again freepeacesweet. And thanks Justin.

This is a very helpful forum.

20. RaGin8 macrumors newbie

bear with me here, but...

I realized that the printer was pulling an automatic IP address so i changed it to manual IP address and inserted my LAN details.

I'd like to try the solution offered by freepeacesweet but I'm going astray somewhere. I got to the website that tells me the info about my printer, then clicked on the networking tab, put my IP address in, but got stuck at the subnet mask and default gateway fields. I don't even know where I'd begin to look for those...

21. mummy macrumors newbie

Why is Apple selling us this printer?

Why is Apple selling us a defective printer? I, like everyone else, spent hours working with technicians from Linksys, HP, and Apple. I even exchanged the printer for another C4580. I'm very angry at Apple, which has to know this printer is crap. Hey, Jobs! Stop selling this printer. How can you treat us like ****?

22. njboardwalk macrumors newbie

Subnet Mask and Default Gateway

RaGin8,

I think you've found the correct page on the HP printer config pages to enter your settings. I assume that you first went to your Linksys router to determine the IP address that your HP printer was acquiring (and this would be the address that you would type in for "Manual IP Address"). The manual subnet mask is simply 255.255.255.0. The manual default gateway is the address that you use to access your router settings (aka "Local IP Address"). In my case, it's 192.168.10.1. I also selected "Manual DNS Server" and entered my router's local IP address as the "Manual Preferred DNS Server".

Hope this helps.

23. iyassin macrumors newbie

Sleep Problemh

Is this supposed to work on PC also? I tried it and it didn't work on mine. I wish somebody could help. thank you.

24. yrlessmom macrumors newbie

sleep problem too

I am having the same problems with this printer on my PC! I wondered if you would walk me through the steps to correct this problem, please? I usually check for forums, such as this, before I buy anything, but missed this one. I am the only one in the family who is willing to try these kinds of fixes. Would greatly appeciate the help. Thank you.

25. SLUProf macrumors newbie

Sleep problem Mac workaround

I need some help in locating the IP address settings, etc. for iMac and MacBook Pro 13.3" using AirPort. I tried entering the settings I thought were correct, and the printer wouldn't respond at all. So I went back to static IP address. Of course, now I am power cycling again.

I wish power cycling were some kind of healthy recreational/exercise activity instead of a frustrating exercise in trying to establish communication between recalcitrant inanimate objects. :eek:

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give! ;)