Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
WebOS? TV? You mean, the most advanced mobile OS (I'm not talking availability of 3rd party software here) for a dying market (does anyone younger than 70 and older than 7 spend more than 5 hours a week watching TV)? Hmmm…
idiots at HP! They bought a jewel, practically destroyed it, and sold to LG… to make TVs of.

At this ridiculously misguided decision making rate HP won't survive another decennium.

Exactly.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
.......................I like the price point.

ya listenin apple?

the price point is entirely due to the crummy guts. apple is not in the business of low-end junk, nor has it ever been. they dont care to cater to that market and thats fine.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Since when has Apple said that PPI is an important factor in the User Experience of a device's screen?
Since they released the iPhone 4 with Retina display.

Of course they stopped reiterating that stance after releasing their own non-retina iPad. ;)

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple is in big trouble.
groan. here we go...

Maybe not right now, but it's around the corner.

of course - thats what you dudes have been saying for years because its NEVER right now, because youre wrong. right now.

nothing - new is coming out of Cupertino to give stockholders and consumers hope for the future.

huh? i love my new iphone. and my new ipad mini. and my new mac. theyre a delight to use and make me more productive.

iOS has remained stale for the last five years since its introduction, with no desire shown by Apple to improve the user experience

not following you here -- i have few complaints about the UX. in fact, that they havent ruined w/ bloat and junk is precisely what i like about it. so does my senior cit dad.

I fear for Apple. Again, not right now,

of course. its never right now that theyre in danger.

but a year from now.

please, that may as well be tomorrow.

Apple no longer has a flagship "market changing" product and has shown little desire to compete.

thats odd, since they still sell more iphones and ipads than any other vendor. those are their flagship products, and theyre quite competitive.

Microsoft is converging their desktop and mobile operating systems, which is a smart thing to do.

not really. you end up w/ an OS that performs poorly in both use cases.

I have sent emails to Tim Cook begging Apple to do something, anything, to counter this rising tide of dissatisfaction among consumers

wait -- you mean the rising tide of more apple customers every year than the year before? if theyre all dissatisfied, why do they keep buying apple products?

and especially the media and stock analysts.

you do realize apple does not make products for analysts, right? it makes great products to sell to customers, at a profit. and it does that better than anyone else...

let me guess -- Cook hasnt written you back, has he?

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
tall and skinny edition

OMG, not again this brain-dead aspect ratio.
when will finally people understand, that 16:9 is only useful when
watching movies. ebooks look like crap, pdfs look like crap, browsing the web is painful in portrait mode, in landscape even worse.

when a company is able to build tablets, because they have the resources, money, technology, whatever, does not mean they should actually build one.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
They're on a subway

A very clean one.

Wow, my profile icon perfectly fits my reaction to this.

FQrD8qJ.png

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
That price is really aggressive.
Such slim margins?!
Have they figured out how to build this thing for $50.00?
Can they really make a profit at this?

HP had a profit margin last year of -10.5%. So far this year they are at 4.34%. That's why they can price it really aggressively. Apple could sell their products for 20% less across the board and still have higher margins than HP - but that's not how Apple's business is.

djstarrock

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
UK, Scotland, Glasgow
It's only $30 less than Nexus 7 and you get worse screen, battery, cpu, onboard memory, front facing camera. Also doesn't come with GPS or NFC. What you gain is 3MP back camera which will probably be pretty poor so there's not much point in it, Micro SD Card slot and stereo speakers. Also it's running an outdated android.
If it was on sale for $100 I think it could of had a real chance of being a good budget tablet.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Clever. Except you didn't pick up that this wasn't a "rumor" either. I suppose you neglected to display the same wit with every single iPhone/iPad article? Those aren't Macs either.

Yes, I did neglect that same "wit".

Regarding MacRumors content, your subsequent comments were spot on. I totally agree. However, I never said I didn't like MacRumors' choice of posts, as you suggested.

I just had a chuckle with this particular article because after reading it, it hit me that it didn't really introduce anything Apple in terms of competition or comparison (beyond a brief nod in the first paragraph). I'm sure it's not the first time, and it won't be the last. No big deal.

Sorry you took it personally - or at least appeared to in your response.
That's not to say I don't appreciate your brand of wit - even at my expense. :)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Let's not forget that apple makes more profit than the entire rest of the industry in some of the product categories in which it competes. They will lose some market share because they refuse to race to the bottom, but if you think that's "demise," you have a strange understanding of that term.
My my, I've touched a nerve. :) Did not mean to wad up any panties.

Demise or continued success... Like *every* company on the planet that once wore Apple's crown... I'd bet on "demise" every time. Not implying they won't leave behind some kind legacy that we all benefit from nor will they fall anytime soon. When they do tumble though everyone will agree it was a sweet ride.

To me, they're just another corporation at the mercy of my wallet.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
It took a lot of digging but I found these two stats of interest:

1024 x 600 is the resolution
8 GB is how much memory is built in for $169.

It's running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) so it's at least one version old already (4.2 - Key Lime Pie has already been released.)

Correction. Android 4.2 is Jelly Bean. Android 5.0 is rumored to be Key Lime Pie.

junk....fail....dead on arrival

:apple:

:rolleyes: Typical response. Not surprised really.

No reason to back up your claim.

No :apple: on it so it must be crappy.

That's how I feel about some the comments in this thread.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Well it's not funny when it's not a jail brah

I knew it was a subway and was making a joke, brosephine.

Bro... Do you even lift?!

Yeah, all sorts of stuff, too. I be liftin' so much that people start yellin' at me "Put all the stuff down! You've had it in the air a long time!" :cool:

Just wanted to point out that you guys made me chuckle.

Anyone know if LG is going to end the open source initiative for webOS? Maybe its time to download some source....

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
junk....fail....dead on arrival

:apple:

I'm sure it will net more profit than you'll see you in your entire lifetime.

Anyway.

For 169? It looks like its pretty well built with decent hardware, Nexus devices have lots of QC issues. HP is the king of mass amounts of product at low margins, I've owned HP computers before, never had an issue.

For the price? i could see this taking off. If you want a well made basic tablet that does all the basic things that your average consumer does, it could work. Not everyone needs an iPad, or wants to pay for one.

Education market to, for 169 a pop, I bet lots of schools would be interested in a basic tablet with enough grunt to run in house programs. And it seems like its decently well made. For students? Could be a good fit for 1/3rd the price of an Ipad.

Amory

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
Sacramento, CA
IMO, WebOS was the best OS for it's time. WAY better then iOS AT THE TIME.

Too bad there has been no support for it and no one cares about it anymore... It was really great

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
opinion

the price point is entirely due to the crummy guts. apple is not in the business of low-end junk, nor has it ever been. they dont care to cater to that market and thats fine.

nope but they have the ability to undercut competitors due to mass cash reserves.

in a time of global austerity, subsidised and cheaper products sell well.

on the other hand, if they offered a true 5 year guarantee on their products. covering defects and batteries. they could pit themselves as providing a long term investment.

as for now... the price point is on the edge of what is acceptable. cost for function, i find it is bang on.

some sort of reparability needs to be acknowledged. for example, the iphone 4/s replaceable back panel... sure it crack easily, just as mine did the other day... but for 15 euros, i got a replacement back panel and battery to make my iphone run like new.

if they just made the back panel and battery replaceable, even under screws... they could easily dominate.

purely opinion of corse

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Some see this move by HP as a plus because, again, some say it will help lower the price of other cheapo manufacture's tablets. And that there my friends is where the rubicon will have been crossed.
Big ballers like HP can't afford to be at the bottom of the tablet barrel. Why? No goddamn growth. And with trash coming from the east and at super low prices ,say $29.99, it would further lock HP into a place of no return.
I remember back in the day when RIO was was in business making mp3 players then one day I went to their site and the company had shut down. Why? They said they couldn't penetrate the market any further. NO GROWTH.
Meg Whitman should have know better. But we all know she'll be gone within two years. And with a fat ass golden parachute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.