HP TouchPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bowlerman625, Jul 2, 2011.

1. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anybody like this? I saw it today and am thinking of buying one. I have an iPad 2 and would never part with it! I just think the touch pad is cool. I have some gift money to spend and thought I'd get one to play with.....any thoughts on the TouchPad?

2. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I should say my iPad 2 would be my primary tablet, especially because it has 3G

I like WebOS over any android tablet though.

3. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I think it looks great. Wish it had more of the iPad 2 form factor though. I still wish Apple would have purchased palm. I'd love to have the webOS card multi tasking type OS, without losing my MobileMe syncing and access to iTunes.

I'm thinking of buying on as well, still undecided.

4. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Yep I'm still at the mall thinking about pulling the trigger......arrgh.....I read some other comments here and a few reviews. They weren't impressed. But I was! It would be a secondary tablet in the house but that would be ok for me!

5. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Haha, the reviews on it were horrible. It's a turd. If you buy it, keep the receipt! :)

6. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Fought temptation.......for now!

lol we will see!

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Wait at least until the first update rolls out which should fix most of the problems people reported in the reviews. Webos is fantastic, can't wait to upgrade my pre plus for a pre3 when it comes out. That being said I wouldn't replace my iPad with the touchpad yet, I'm waiting until more apps are available and a high res display before I think about switching.

8. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Me too, thus far! ;)

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Hey, people waste money on all sorts of things that I would consider garbage. But one man's garbage, is another man's treasure.

If you believe that HP has made a quality product and will continue to develop and support it, then buy it. I wouldn't buy it, at least not at this point in its development, but that's just me. I don't want to be a Beta tester.

10. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

It's a good new competitor. And it offers a kind of ecosystem with the Pre phones.

If HP licenses webOS to third party, it could be a better seller than Android as it tends to be more polished. The device itself is too old to compete with the iPad 2 or Galaxy Tab 10".

11. MassacrMan macrumors member

Too old?

The device is running a dual core 1.2 Ghz processor coupled with 1 gigabyte of RAM. That sounds pretty top quality for a tablet to me...

12. Phil A., Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

A lot of the reviews complain about slow performance and choppy scrolling, etc: It doesn't matter what's under the hood if it's not up to the job! For example, this one says it regularly takes between 5 and 10 seconds to switch from portrait to landscape (and even longer if you have the multi-tasking view open), and the App Catalog takes 15 seconds to load

I tried WebOS on the original Palm Pre and loved the software but hated the hardware (too plasticky and cheap feeling). I was tempted by the TouchPad but having read some reviews of it, I think i'll pass...

13. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Love WebOS...(wasn't it created by a former iPod OS engineer?)...If/when they ever get it on hardware that it works well on, I would certainly consider purchasing a WebOS device...

14. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

People believe what they see. Twice RAM quantity than the iPad 2 and still slower. Touchpad is thicker, heavier, larger, slower than the iPad 2. The Touchpad is for HP what the iPad 1 was for Apple, except that there is competition now!

But webOS has a big potential.

15. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I had the opportunity to try it out at a recent HP training event (I don't work for them, it's retail training.)

It's pretty quick, and not bad for a v1.0 product, but as another user said, the rotation between portrait and landscape needs a tuneup. It's significantly heavier than the iPad 2 (which makes you think it must have better battery life), but it averages 7-8 hours. Again, not bad for an intro model, but there's definitely room for improvement.

It does feel very plasticy, and more like a tablet you'd buy as a step below the iPad...but for the same price.

They have a nice gesture system to close out apps (swipe up in the multitasking window), but I hope they decide to add gestures to move between apps, similar to what's coming in iOS 5 - right now (as on the original iPad), you can only hit the home button to get out of an app.

Overall, a solid first effort, but iPad is still out in front (mainly because it's had nearly a year headstart.)

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

The swipe up gesture from the phones carried over. Gesturing from the bottom in an upward motion takes you from fullscreen to card view, just like the home button,

17. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Maybe the HP reps didn't know that - they didn't mention it when I asked if there was another way to switch apps...

18. kdarling, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Clarification:

The "5-10" seconds mentioned in the article is to do a double cycle of reorientation. In other words, if they accidentally rotated enough for it to do a flip to an orientation they didn't want, so they have to wait for it to finish and then rotate it back again.

The time it takes depends on how many active apps you have visibly running, since they all have to get and act upon the orientation change.

19. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

First of all a tablet is a total luxury item, a second tablet is just plain silly!:rolleyes:

20. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

21. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The TouchPad looks like an original iPad, with a black TPU case on it.

22. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

After playing with it I came away with this: I like Web OS better than android. However, it had bugs, and the Galaxy 10.1 is a better made tablet.

It's build quality was OK.. screen was quite nice but it did feel thick and a bit heavy compared to my iPad 2.

It's a good first effort and if they iron out the kinks it has potential.
    I managed to get it to freeze in front of a few people which might have been annoying to the HP spokesman lol.

overall I think it's interface is really nice. Wish apple would switch to something organized more like that.. the grid design is getting dated ESPECIALLY for a tablet.

I'm invested into the apple ecosystem a few hundred dollars, but even if I wasn't I would stick with them. WebOS isn't supported well yet and android tablets all feel choppy (yes, even the galaxy). Somehow the rendering is done weirdly where it feels like 25FPS vs 60 on the iPad when moving between pages ect.

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It's all about the apps.

Until webOS (or Android for that matter) have a Citrix app, a PowerPoint (i.e., Keynote) app for creating - not just viewing, a Vizio app like TouchDraw, Go To Meeting, iMovie, and a host of other productivity apps, I'd have a hard time switching away from the iPad.

I'm sure it's great that webOS or Android can continue to play a movie while some other app does something else in the background, but until there's actually apps worth running it'll be a cold day in you-know-where before I part with my iPad.

(funny, this is the argument Windows users used to give me about why they didn't use a Mac)

24. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

Yes, rendering, user experience. At least Apple continues to garantee something fast and simple. Sometimes I don't understand the people who want widgets, file manager, keyboard. Why do they want a tablet, if they need a laptop?