HQ Trivia Eliminates $20 Minimum to Cash Out Winnings

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HQ Trivia on Friday announced that it has dropped its $20 minimum balance requirement for players to cash out their winnings via PayPal.

The change is welcomed since HQ's standard prize amount, now up to $2,500, is often split by tens if not hundreds of players, in which cases each winner ends up with a small prize like $10 or $12 that was previously not cashable. Now, anyone can cash out a prize, even if only enough to buy a coffee or two.

💰 It's payday, baby! We've removed the minimum balance required to cash out your HQ winnings. Put that money in the bank today! - HQ Trivia (@hqtrivia) January 26, 2018

For those unaware, HQ is a live trivia show that launched on iPhone in September, and on Android around New Year's Day. During the show, players attempt to answer a series of 12 questions correctly to win a cash prize. To reduce cheating, players have less than 10 seconds to choose one of three answers.

The show is hosted every day at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and at 3:00 p.m. every weekday, most often by comedian Scott Rogowsky. Pro tip: you can swipe right on the chat to hide the obnoxious flow of comments.

HQ Trivia continues to surge in popularity, with many games now attracting more than one million players, compared to just hundreds back in September. Over 1.6 million players competed for a special $15,000 prize last Sunday, and some 15 minutes later, seven winners walked away with over $2,000 apiece.

If you haven't played HQ yet, you can download the game from the App Store and sign up for free. For each new player that you refer to the game, you can receive an extra life, which lets you skip one question if you answer it incorrectly.

Article Link: HQ Trivia Eliminates $20 Minimum to Cash Out Winnings

Reactions: jjm3

Evan Davis

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Surprised Apple allowes gambling at the store
Most (if not all) online gambling companies in Europe (where it is entirely legal) have iPhone apps. The betting company I use allows me to bet on live sports and play live or virtual roulette. All by spending, and if I have a win, receiving real money.

I also have a lotto app for the government run lottery.

PS. In taking the snapshots for this post, I had a nice win of €18 on roulette :)

Attachments

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
Most (if not all) online gambling companies in Europe (where it is entirely legal) have iPhone apps. The betting company I use allows me to bet on live sports and play live or virtual roulette. All by spending, and if I have a win, receiving real money.

I also have a lotto app for the government run lottery.

PS. In taking the snapshots for this post, I had a nice win of €18 on roulette :)
interesting. i just googled and everything but sports bets are illegal in germany

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I've been playing HQ trivia on and off again since I first found out about it. Honestly, there are too many people playing now. Makes it pretty likely a given game will have technical difficulties. (EG. The game they ran on New Years' Eve at midnight, where the host was talking and you could see/hear him but the choices to tap on for the questions never popped up on anyone's screens. He read through about 3 questions before they ended the session and had to ask people to come back later to try again.)

I'm also not impressed with how long they try to draw things out before the first trivia question is given out... You get the pop up notifications that a game is starting and then you join, waiting several minutes for a count-down timer, only to get the host or hostess appears and gabbing about nonsense for another 5 minutes.

Reactions: Surfer13134

bladerunner2000

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2015
I'm also not impressed with how long they try to draw things out before the first trivia question is given out... You get the pop up notifications that a game is starting and then you join, waiting several minutes for a count-down timer, only to get the host or hostess appears and gabbing about nonsense for another 5 minutes.
This is a non-issue. They don't owe you anything.

Reactions: Keness

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
It’s alsp done to give enough time for everyone to make it to the game. The notification prompts you at 4-5 mins before the official start time, and then you still have another 3 minutes after that. So whenever I receive my reminder notification, it’s really telling you that you’ve got about 6-8 minutes to prepare for the game. I actually like that...

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
Can confirm it works.

Be careful to enter your PayPal e-mail EXACTLY, because as soon as you hit submit, it won't confirm or give you a second chance. (luckily I didn't make any typos). The payment came in a few days later with no indication from the app itself. The balance changed to $0.

So just be patient if withdrawing, don't bombard the HQ support team ;)

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Who said I felt HQ owed me anything?

This is about improving the experience so the project will be more successful.

If you believe their claims, anyway, they think this is pioneering a new way to do TV game shows. I think they’re blowing through a whole lot of VC funding and won’t have anything to show for it if they don’t start considering how to make it more compelling besides people tolerating it to maybe make a few bucks.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
If you believe their claims, anyway, they think this is pioneering a new way to do TV game shows. I think they’re blowing through a whole lot of VC funding and won’t have anything to show for it if they don’t start considering how to make it more compelling besides people tolerating it to maybe make a few bucks.
They don't need to make it more compelling since there is no monetary cost to the user and there is a chance to win some free cash.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start inserting small ads at the beginning of the game at some point to help raise money. It should be a no brainer to get companies to want to advertise knowing they can easily get a million set of eyeballs on their ad.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
No offense, but this is spoken like the people who kept coming up with new business ideas in the .COM boom. We all know what happened to 99% of those, right?

I mean, yes, adding advertising is the obvious way to monetize the whole thing. But it's "interesting" they haven't yet made any effort to do that. With 5 million plus players on many games -- how many more do they have to get before advertisers are interested in buying ad space?

Meanwhile, they're wasting a lot of valuable time they COULD be monetizing, with their hosts or hostesses just goofing off, chattering incessantly to stall for as long as possible before the game itself begins.

All I'm trying to point out is, this whole thing seems like a costly adventure, beefing up servers and buying sufficient bandwidth to stream everything effectively to millions of users plus maintaining all of their logins and handling all the payouts of money to winners. Even if the show's talent is working for free right now, they're surely expect to start getting paid too. If the real goal is reinventing the "game show", they're way off the mark right now. This is just a big version of those pub trivia games they've had for many years in restaurants and bars, except with a host/hostess talking and reading the questions. The elements that make game shows fun to watch are totally missing here. If you're "out" because you got a question wrong, there's at least a 50% chance you quit the game right then! You don't sit and watch the rest of it. There's no variety of games either... just 12 trivia questions in a row. Same formula each time.

They don't need to make it more compelling since there is no monetary cost to the user and there is a chance to win some free cash.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start inserting small ads at the beginning of the game at some point to help raise money. It should be a no brainer to get companies to want to advertise knowing they can easily get a million set of eyeballs on their ad.

tennisproha

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
It's crazy how people will shill out their referral codes, like HQN, just to be able to get an extra life. It's really just spam and I'm surprised mods haven't removed those comments yet.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
This is the new TV. It's an awesome idea, and brings the idea of periscope/twitch/etc to a bigger audience.

1.6 million players = around 1-2 rating for basically very little money. Just imagine how much audience they'd make if they were PG-13.

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
It's crazy how people will shill out their referral codes, like HQN, just to be able to get an extra life. It's really just spam and I'm surprised mods haven't removed those comments yet.
It's would be difficult to justify removing posts like that when the article author has done exactly the same in the main article - not exactly professional journalism!